Engine Block Heater

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

CrazyChaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Engine Block Heater

Post by CrazyChaz »

I was thinking of putting a engine block heater on my crew and I saw on GMPartsDirect.com(GM PART # 12371293) for 38.64. Would installing this item be difficult? Also would I have to pop the hood to plug it in? Because I do not have a garage to do this so that may effect my choice. I have also seen magnetic heaters that stick to the oil pan has anyone tried one of those?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Our trucks use a freeze/frost plug heater.

You should be able to pick one up for about $17 , if I recall correctly.

I used a Zerostart part # ZRO 310-0057

The directions will tell you that it installs on the rear LH side plug.
After draining the coolant , It is installed in the left rear, clocked to 6 o'clock ,the instructions were pretty good , other than I used a 14" pry bar both for punching the soft plug in and ,braced against the exhaust manifold, to pry it out. There is no way to get pliers or Vice-grips in there.

It was about a 15-30 min job cost $15 (heater) + antifreeze $4 per gal.
Installing the heater is easy compared to all that in a tight space. I worked both from underneath and through the wheel well.

The cord is plenty long enough. Mine comes out by the frame horn in the front valance.

EDIT:Block heater
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
CrazyChaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CrazyChaz »

Thanks for the advice Im going to try and pick one up this week and install it on the weekend.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Just "holler" if you need more information and we can get the install instructions up on here some place.

Shop around. I just checked NAPA online and they want $40.39 :shock:
I'm sure that you can find it cheaper than that.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

I have a plug all wrapped around my brake booster area.. its orange with a plug on the end.. I wonder if mine came with a block heater ? If it did.. How do I use it cause I have never used one before? Do I just plug it in ?and if so , then how long can you leave it plugged in??
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

2bunik wrote:I have a plug all wrapped around my brake booster area.. its orange with a plug on the end.. I wonder if mine came with a block heater ? If it did.. How do I use it cause I have never used one before? Do I just plug it in ?and if so , then how long can you leave it plugged in??

You bought yours new right? Check your RPO code list for a K05 , or 8U4.

Make sure that cord is plugged into the heater. Lift the flap in the left hand inner fenderwell. Look under the steering shaft below the exhaust manifold to the side of the block. The cord should plug into the heater installed in the LH side rear freeze plug.

The other end can be routed to a convenient place up front and zip tied in place. Mine exits through the hole in the front valance near the frame horn.

Be sure to use a heavy gauge extension cord and you can just plug it in. There should be no harm in leaving it plugged in so long as temperatures are around the freezing point.
The heater element is similar to what a water heater has , by that I mean a loop, but there is no thermostat to set. The water is circulated by convection. The heated coolant rises drawing unheated coolant from below.

The heater will maintain around 100 degrees. A little less when it is really cold out. It doesn't need a thermostat, since the wattage is low enough that it can not increase the temperature faster than the system can dissipate the heat. However I would not recommend leaving it plugged in during the summer :D

Mine is plugged in anytime there is a possibility of frost. Even through the day when temps reach 50 sometimes. I have done this for many years and had no problems. It is usually unplugged at least once in the 24 hours and I leave it unplugged for the day if it is warm, but there are days that it is not.

If you don't need it ready 24-7, you might look into one of those heavy duty space heater timers. Set it for an hour before you leave in the mornings to save power and $$. I think D&B supply had some early in the season.
Last edited by HenryJ on Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

AWWW, C'MON MAN!!!!! I am having enough trouble trying to talk my wife into lettin' me do the mods that are already on my "to do" list! Now we're talking engine block heaters???? When will the insanity end?!?!? :lol: I just can't keep up with you guys. I need to get a second job! Man! I would have NEVER thought of that one! Cheap mod or not, I just can't keep up! :lol:
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
CrazyChaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CrazyChaz »

So far no luck finding anything in my area,checked advance auto parts and several other small businesses in my area. If anyone can find a good price on the web let me know. However I did see this web site www.engineheaters.com does anyone have any knowledge of this type of heater? BTW Pauleo I dont have a wife(yet!) so I dont have to get my "to do" list approved.
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

CrazyChaz wrote: BTW Pauleo I dont have a wife(yet!) so I dont have to get my "to do" list approved.

Great!! dont' get one! :lol:
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

in regard to plugging in the block heater.. can I plug it in after I get home from a trip to town, or do i have to let the truck cool down ?.. lets say it's about 38 degrees outside..
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

2bunik wrote:in regard to plugging in the block heater.. can I plug it in after I get home from a trip to town, or do i have to let the truck cool down ?.. lets say it's about 38 degrees outside..
Just plug it in , I do all the time.

So what RPO code did you have? I assume that this means yours did come with the cold weather package, new?
Did you get the higher amp battery too?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

I have k05 !

0459 catolog number and 690cca for the battery !

Split this topic here to keep things on topic-HJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I did some checking today after reports of no freeze plug heaters under $20.
It is true that the GM freeze plug heater runs close to $40 and the brand that NAPA now sells is $38. But good news. The local parts store that handles Zerostart can still get me one for $17. Just under actually.

Shop around. They can still be purchased for under $20

If you don't believe me call Blankenships Auto parts 1-541-889-9666 and talk to Corey.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlith
Crew
Crew

Post by rlith »

Pauleo wrote:AWWW, C'MON MAN!!!!! I am having enough trouble trying to talk my wife into lettin' me do the mods that are already on my "to do" list! Now we're talking engine block heaters???? When will the insanity end?!?!? :lol: I just can't keep up with you guys. I need to get a second job! Man! I would have NEVER thought of that one! Cheap mod or not, I just can't keep up! :lol:
I kept ignoring mine and she finally gave up...So she's not really surprised anymore. Though she was surprised when I put the SEAT HEATERS in... She freaked out at first because she didn't get where the heat was coming form... :lol: So all the mods on my site (www.pghconsulting.net/teal) she just gave up on...LOL
[size=75]See my ride at www.pghconsulting.net/teal[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Found a link to some more benefits - Plugging-in your vehicle’s engine block heater when temperatures fall below 20 degrees is one of the best ways to keep our air clean.

Also the use of a timer was brought up. This is an out door mechanical timer that looks like it might work pretty well - Intermatic® Outdoor Mechanical Timer

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I had been using the timer posted above. It does work pretty well, but I think that this may be a better choice-

Thermocube - thermostatically controlled outlet

I chose model TC-3. It turns on at 35F and off at 45F

Sure looks like a good idea and a power saver.

- ThunderII KE7CSK