the time for exhaust has come

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

DiagnosisDirt
Regular
Regular

the time for exhaust has come

Post by DiagnosisDirt »

i've saved up a little more then 400 to buy a new exhaust , whats the best bolt on kit for a 2002 crew cab , id like something that sounds good but im in favor of performance more or less. I mean i could always just cut off my muffler and weld a flowmaster on , right ?
-Craig

02' S-10 crew cab Pewter
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

i have a flowmaster dual exaust and it does nothing on my truck anyway. it sounds cool but in terms of performance i felt little. they even told me that too when they installed it that if i was going for perfromance it wont be that noticable and i didnt listen. i shoulda just got the cheapo one to make it sound good lol. some poeple say they get results from exaust mods but i think thats what they want t happen so in there heads it does :lol: just kidding maybe it will work for ya who knows good luck
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

It's all about finding the right balance between air in and air out. Modifying your exhaust goes hand in hand with modifying your air intake. A larger more free flowing exhaust allows more air out thus allowing for more air to be let in. If you don't bring more air in then there's going to be very little change in performance by letting more air out.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

barch97 wrote:It's all about finding the right balance between air in and air out. Modifying your exhaust goes hand in hand with modifying your air intake. A larger more free flowing exhaust allows more air out thus allowing for more air to be let in. If you don't bring more air in then there's going to be very little change in performance by letting more air out.

Cough, Cough, shivering, cough...................another moment in history :lol:

I concur with Barch totally :!:

Go with the stock intake mod or the 39 buck ebay intake with a K&N or Airaid filter. one intake mod. Spend 60-70 bucks for a delta flowmaster (3" inlet, 3 " outlet) off Ebay, have local shop install. Will sound good and will be cost effective. Take the 400 bucks you saved over buying a bolt on exhaust and a K&N intake and decide on the next mods. A used Hpp III off ebay, a BL, Wheels and tires or audio upgrade.

Just my 2 cents.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mine is 3" catback also. I did notice a difference in the bottom end.

I am pretty sceptical when it comes to gains, so I would say that this did work.
It was a change in performance equal to the change in final ratios from 31" tires to 29". Not huge , but noticeable.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by KCustom »

I am running a JBA 2.75" stainless catback for an extended cab with minor mods. I really like the sound, not to loud and it maintains the proper back pressure to increase hp a little....
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
Jim

Post by Jim »

What do you guys think about this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 99967&rd=1
exits dual on the same side :shock:
Last edited by Jim on Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

f9k9 wrote:Cough, Cough, shivering, cough...................another moment in history :lol:

I concur with Barch totally :!:
Now, now children. Behave! :lol:

Seriously though, I like the looks of the TFX system Jim just posted. Anyone familiar with how they perform? Since I have to replace the cat back on my Blazer (totally missing when I got it - can't wait to find out what else is wrong/broken/missing), this looks like something I might do.
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Mods...

Post by KCustom »

I had to do some mods to the ext cab version of my JBA that included replacing the flange that bolts up at the front. It came with a 3 bolt and the Crew had a 2 bolt. I just cut and re-welded the stock one on. The next mod required was to shorten the pipe section behind the muffler. then I had to add a hanger for the tail pipe section. With this in mind the dual set up may be more difficult when it comes to the cutting. I also had to replace the factory rubber hangers with some from a full size GMC so that it hung at the right level. My factory ones were about 1.5 inches long and the ones that I used were abut 3 inches....
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jim wrote:What do you guys think about this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 99967&rd=1
exits dual on the same side :shock:
Think you would be as good with the stock system. Or spend $100 and change out the stock muffler for a better flowing muffler, and add a twin tip. Save the $240 for something else.

IMO, best bang for the buck is spent on a custom built exhaust.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
DiagnosisDirt
Regular
Regular

Post by DiagnosisDirt »

oh yeah , will any of these muffler madness screw up my warranty, cause I still got it for 7000 miles......
-Craig

02' S-10 crew cab Pewter
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

DiagnosisDirt wrote:oh yeah , will any of these muffler madness screw up my warranty, cause I still got it for 7000 miles......
Yep, your stock muffler will no longer be covered under the warranty. It won't really matter though since you'll probably leave it in the shops recycling bin ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

DiagnosisDirt wrote:oh yeah , will any of these muffler madness screw up my warranty, cause I still got it for 7000 miles......

We had to bring up warranties, didn't we :lol:

Not to stray of topic for long but Mrs. f9k9 had some warranty work done at my favorite dealer and an Enterprise rental was sitting there waiting for her to use while they did a simple climate control cable replacement.

I would like to believe I am wearing them down but, I know in reality I'm not :lol:

Voiding the muffler warraty is not a concern if, it is after the cat. Had a 97 ZR2 and the thing never needed warrany work on the exhaust. All the emmisions control stuff will remain intact.

I still think your money would be better spent on a custom job with good muffler unless you are shooting for a 2nd "Best in Show" and the judges are able to look under the rig and see all the attention to detail you have done on your rig.

Decision is all yours: :D

I think you have heard all the opinions from each side of the aisle and it is up to you now. Check out the other S-10 sites that go into detail and have the sound clips to hear.

I have to agree with Barch and get the intake first. The performance and sound gain will amaze you. The exhaust afterwards will make your choices easier. Who in the heck put this soapbox under me :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
DiagnosisDirt
Regular
Regular

yup

Post by DiagnosisDirt »

Well , I seem to want to belive that I would lean t'ward getting a new flowmaster muffler, Its cost effecint and would compliment my airbox swiss, and new k&n air filter. (Is that is whats ment to as a new intake ? )
-Craig

02' S-10 crew cab Pewter
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Yes Sir, It is! HJ has the K&N Fipk and told me once that her would have been better off to keep his stock box mod and have saved the money. He is really knowledgable with performance mods and he has the 3" inlet, 3" single outlet 'Deltaflowmaster" muffler with a local custom shop instal for under 200 bucks. I was torn as you are but, went with it on mine and am very content. I didn't know if I liked the sound at first but, after a week or two, I began to love it. I was uneasy at first, just because of the diffrence in sound. I does seem to have more "low end" power and is not "raspy" to borrow a term from the ricers.

HJ and I are from a little diffrent era and duals made sense when you didn't have them coming out of a single cat. May be good for looks but all it is is extra money wasted. The cats that are out today are not restrictive like the early models when they first came out.

If duals are "in" where you are at and that is what you like then "go for it". I think you'd be happy with the delta flowmaster single. If you are looking for a slightly more aggressive sound and performance at a much cheaper cost. then the single delta is the way to go and I probably researched it on 5 forums. If you decide to go with our set up then just make sure you get a "delta" flowmaster 40 with an 3" offset inlet and 3" center outlet. There is a big diffrence betetween the delta 40 and the old flowmaster 40 in sound. The delta is aggressive but not annoyng to neighbors or to you on a 1 hr commute.

Good luck :D
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Just figured id throw in my 2cent, I am running a Gibson catback $263.00 shipped from Summit just bolt on and go .Heres the 1 I have GIBSON AT SUMMIT
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
DiagnosisDirt
Regular
Regular

ok jeff....

Post by DiagnosisDirt »

jeff hows it sound though is it noticable , Is the pick up and better ?...
What do like about it , Did it bolt right on ?
-Craig

02' S-10 crew cab Pewter
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

gibson...

Post by KCustom »

I had the Gibson on the truck for a short while....It did bolt up with no problems. The sound was....well I need to be careful here because it is just my opinion, I did not like it and did not get any performance gain. If you want to save some money follow Herry's advice....if money is no object then replace every thing behind the cats with stainless and listen to a few muffers to get the sound you like....JMO
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I like the sound and not sure if much of an HP gain but I did pickup some MPG almost 2 but after bigger tires and a BL everything I had gained was at 20mpg has gone out the window im not at 17mpg. 45mins or less to take the old 1 off and put the gibson on . heres a link to sounds.GIBSON EXHAUST SOUNDS
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

The Delta 40 sounds like the route I wanna take. Have been bouncing around the idea of duals, but as f9k9 said, it's really just for looks. I'm more into performance. Uh, I think. Well.... maybe into looks when it comes to some things!!! :D Anyway, I wanna gain a little HP but I don't want the big ricer rumble. and I DEFINATELY don't want the big ticket price!!! So this Delta 40 sounds about right.

So is it loud when you pull out or punch it but basically pretty quiet when your on the highway, f9k9? And did you get the muffler locally or order it in?
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Pauleo wrote:The Delta 40 sounds like the route I wanna take. Have been bouncing around the idea of duals, but as f9k9 said, it's really just for looks. I'm more into performance. Uh, I think. Well.... maybe into looks when it comes to some things!!! :D Anyway, I wanna gain a little HP but I don't want the big ricer rumble. and I DEFINATELY don't want the big ticket price!!! So this Delta 40 sounds about right.

So is it loud when you pull out or punch it but basically pretty quiet when your on the highway, f9k9? And did you get the muffler locally or order it in?

I researched it, a bunch, and got it on Ebay. Under 50 or 60 bucks, I believe but, will be glad to research my paypal account for you if you would like. :D

Loud, hmmmmmm, a little but, not unreasonable. I work with a very conservative bunch and no one has said anything. A little louder than stock. My probllem was that I thought was "different" compared to stock. Took me a week or two to love the sound. Deeper, throatier (is that a word?) but nice and not noticeable after the first week. Interstate? No problem!

I hope Mrs_Rusty isn't following closely but, the only mod, my wife. has detected (that I didn't tell her about) was the tail light guards. The intake, shackles, spacers, HPP III, shocks, GM hitch, back up lights, silverstars, have all gone unnoticed. I just knew the sound of the exhaust would have me busted but, never heard a word.

I really looked the exhaust options over hard. I was hesitant but, am glad I went the route I did. I do not mean offend to anyone who thinks differently.

The single three inch in and out on a single works well but, from what I can see I am the only senior citizen with graphics on his rig in the forum. That might give you a hint

:lol:
DiagnosisDirt
Regular
Regular

Post by DiagnosisDirt »

The 3 in flowmaster part # is 943040 ? , and that will sound good with the stock tubing even though its smaller in diameter ?
-Craig

02' S-10 crew cab Pewter
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

another of my 2cent , if your gonna get the muffler finish it off with all of the exhaust or you would be half assin it IMO .
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

DiagnosisDirt wrote:... will sound good with the stock tubing even though its smaller in diameter ?
HenryJ wrote:...Each system can have it's own dynamics and each piece can change the overall tone.

It is much the same as any brass instrument. Length, diameter, and muffling devices change the sound. Press the keys on a trumpet to lengthen the pipe and change the sound. Change the size of the pipe to a tuba and the tone deepens, Add a large bell for a tip, like the flugel horn or smaller one like a coronet. The sound changes again.

Your exhaust is much the same. How do you want your instrument to sound?
Bigger pipe = deeper tone

I'm not saying it will sound , bad ... just different.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
DiagnosisDirt
Regular
Regular

Post by DiagnosisDirt »

ok , will it sound deep enough to hear the difference between OEM and a new flowmaster muffler added to stock tubing ?
-Craig

02' S-10 crew cab Pewter
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

yes its deeper But just get the entire CATBACK because your gonna go through as much trouble just changing the muffler as you would the entire catback once you unbolt the exhaust from the cat its all welded or it was on mine anyway the muffler all the way to the tailpipe was welded came out in 1 peice.
Coda
Crew
Crew

Post by Coda »

I have a 40 series swapped in for my stock muffler. It is considerably louder when accelerating and a little louder when idle..... as for performance i noticed none... and far as mpg I got aorund 1 or 2 mpg.. (i also have K&N fipk intake).
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

go cheep $50 for k&n and $20 for cherry bomb muffler another
10 or 15 for an adapter and clamps. that is my plan.
DiagnosisDirt
Regular
Regular

Post by DiagnosisDirt »

....To go cheap i would swiss the airbox , add the k&n filter , and toss the stock muffler and add a glass pack instead ?
-Craig

02' S-10 crew cab Pewter
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

jeggers wrote:go cheep $50 for k&n and $20 for cherry bomb muffler another
10 or 15 for an adapter and clamps. that is my plan.

There are moments when the old saying applies........"you get what you pay for".

You have to find a happy median between a cheery bomb and a borla bolt on.

Just my 2 cents and may not be worth that :lol:
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

i got the flowmaster 40 series with dual outlets. (they might all be dual outlet) and i enjoy it. sounds good, havent really payed attention to performance. my 2 cents :wink:
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

Now a Scion xD with lots of audio stuff!