Exhaust sounds

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

coreylubahn

Exhaust sounds

Post by coreylubahn »

I need some guidance (I aparently need a lot today). I would really like to add some more sound to my crew. I did the airbox mod and love the new sound...real throaty if you ask me. Now I really need some deeper, thumpier exhaust. What does everyone recommend. I don't want to blow ear drums or shatter windows, just get a nice deep (deep as a V6 can) sound. Cat-back, tips, what? Thanks for the help.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

try this site its the only 1 i know of for exhaust sounds EXHAUST SOUNDS CLICK HERE
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

Thanks for the like but I don't necessarily need the actual sounds, I just want people to tell me what they have and whether they like it or not, and how it sounds, etc. Anyone.....?
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

i have a gibson cat back (( some on here dont like it )) but i love it . it has a low tone so at highway speeds you dont really hear it but in the city you can hear it . as far as the fellas that say it hits mine doesnt hit anywhere on my frame . maybe they changed the rear bracket some.
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I have a 3" cat back Delta flowmaster 40 single outlet that I just got 2 days ago. I truly haven't decided if I like it or not because it is still sounding"different" to me :o

To be honest, I did a lot of research and for the 4.3L a 2.5" to 3" single is best for our motor.

I also did a little research on HenryJ and after seeing that he was basically raised and cut his teeth around performance cars and trucks, I went with his exhaust set up. 8)

I haven't had a non stock exhaust in awhile so, I am just getting used to mine now. It is deeper, a little louder but, not to0 loud to be annoying and I have noticed a change. for the good, at the low RPM range
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:... I have noticed a change. for the good, at the low RPM range
It is funny that way. A bigger pipe should add top not bottom end.
:?
It works just don't ask why :D

Mine is also 3" catback, delta flow, 4" resonator tip and removed precat.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

Okay guys, so I hear everyone mentioning a flowmaster deltaflow 40 series muffler. I went down to my local exhaust shop I trust and they recommended that I go with a Magnaflow muffler (replace the stocker) and then put a 4" tip on the end but leave all the rest factory. They want like $240 to do this, but is this really going to get me some good sound? He said that the flowmaster is really, really loud (they sell them also) and that he likes the Magnaflow much better. In fact he said that he has had several customers get a Flowmaster 40 and wind up back in the shop changing it because their wives complained how loud it was. I want sound but I want to hear the radio in the cab too. Finally, is leaving the factory pipe after muffler and just adding a tip an okay way to go? Thanks to all for helping the dummy understand!!
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

just my thought ..change it from cat back to increase the pipe to a 21/2 - 3 in pipe with stainless will last as long as you own your truck
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

you can get it cheaper then 240 for just the muffler check hereEXAUST just do a search for flowmaster
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

The $240 is for the muffler, tip and install. I found another place that will do the same price for a flowmaster setup also. I just don't know which leap to take...the Magnaflow or the Flowmaster....that's what I need someone to tell me......PLEASE!!! (Just kidding...I know I have to make the decision myself).
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

Is there any difference between putting a stainless tip on the end of the exhaust and not having a tip soundwise (obviously the look will be different)? What I mean is does adding a tip give the exhaust more sound due to extra resonances in the tip? If so does having a 4" tip give more sound than a 3.5" or a 3"? I assume that this will give it more echo and thus more sound, but is this a correct assumption? Thanks again!!
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

HenryJ s thread on T I P S
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

Well that thread had to do with resonating tips...and my exhaust shop recommended just a regular chrome tip (non-resonating) but he also said that by putting a big 4" tip on a 2 1/2" pipe it would naturally echo and add a little more sound. Maybe getting the louder flowmaster but then adding a resonating tip (to quiet it down a little) would be a better option, or course maybe a gun to the head would too. Everytime it seems to get clearer I have to complicate it further. Oh well.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

coreylubahn wrote:Is there any difference between putting a stainless tip on the end of the exhaust and not having a tip soundwise ...
Yes.
Exhaust tips

I know that I have said this all before... :roll:

I don't know the differences, but mine is a generic deltaflow muffler , a flowmaster knock off. It sounds good and doesn't drown you out at highway speeds. You can hear the exhaust, but that is what I want, and not too loud.

The stock pipe is SS and pricey. If you live in an area where exhaust systyems don't live very long, just replace your muffler with one that will breathe, add a tip that looks nicer, and be happy.

If you live in a drier less salty environment, go with the single 3" catback. It is the "sweet spot" for these 4.3L engines, IMO.

Remember that the cat offers quite a bit of sound reduction, the muffler simply needs to soften it a little more and the pipe changes the tone. A tip can make fine tuning changes.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

So should I go for a resonating tip or just a plain old SS tip. Then what size would you all recommend?
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Gibson complete from cat back $263.00 shipped to your door. install time 45 minutes in my driveway thats taking the stock off and installing the new 1.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

another system but a bit on the high end prcey is the Borla exhaust.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think that I should add that I did not design my exhaust system.
I told my muffler guru that I wanted a free flowing 3" cat back with a mellow tone and nothing that would drive me crazy on the highway.
He suggested the delta flow with a resonator tip.
Also it was suggested if that was too loud for me a resonator (small glass pack) could be added to quiet things a little more. * Reed, you might keep this in mind if your system is still a little "much" after a couple months*

Use the expertise of your local craftsmen. Many have very good methods, for achieving exactly what YOU want.

When you go looking for a shop, go where the street rodder's go. Not to the local Midas or Sears franchise. It is usually a little muffler shop that is older than dirt that has the experience to build a good system for a reasonable price.

Take some of the information here , for what has worked and adapt it for your situation. Who knows you may have a better solution , and not everyone has exactly the same conditions.

FYI: Smaller pipe warms quicker to burn out condensation. Gasses flow faster over a hot surface than a cold one.

Do you drive far enough to warm up the exhaust system on a regular basis?

Delta is a design pattern of the baffles in the muffler. It is not a brand , it is a shape.

Just some things to think about.
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well, I went with the DELTA Flowmaster 40 Whish is not as loud as the straight flowmaster 40's.. It's definitely quieter than a flowmaster 40. I got mine off ebay for $47, had my stock pipe replaced with 3" and paid $80 for the installation. Have $134 (counting shipping) invested,
Maybe if you tell the shop you want a Delta version, he may change his thloughts about it decibel evel..
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

I don't think the guy really knew a lot about the flowmasters other (in his words) "people always are getting them removed". He stood very well behind the Magnaflow though, so I don't know. I'm guessing no one has tried one since I haven't heard anyone defending them yet.
Eric H
Crew
Crew

Post by Eric H »

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone have any experience with the flowmaster 80-series on our trucks?

I had one on my 3.4L Camaro (see sig.). It had 2 1/4" input and dual 2 1/2" outputs. Each out then went to a double 2 1/2" tip. It was LOUD but had a really nice sound. It wasn't very "ricey" until you got into the very upper RPMs.

-Eric H
[size=75][b]2001 Chevy S-10 LS Ext Cab 4x4[/b] -2" BL; US Wheel Stars; 30x9.5 Dunlop Mud Rovers; home made topper; RF 800a2; Two RF He2 12"
[b][url=http://photos.yahoo.com/negativez0]1995 White Camaro Convertible 3.4 A4[/url] -[i]TRADED IN![/i][/b] -RK-Sport Big Block Hood & Sport Wing; Black & Blue Pearl Racing Stripes; 17x9½" König Monsoons; Flowmaster w/ Quad 2½" Tips [/size]