Westin Safari Light Bars

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Westin Safari Light Bars

Post by F9K9 »

Pros, Cons, Alternatives. What type of "lights" and wiring? Wiring suggestions?

Let 'er rip, taterchip! EDIT.............
FORGET LIGHTS. WIRING AND SWITCH PLACEMENT

Just opinions on the Westin Safari Bars :lol:

Are they worth it and those that have them with 2"BLs how did you modify?

I know it is hard Brule but, just try sitting on your hands through this one :lol:
Last edited by F9K9 on Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Wiring info

switch and relay question?

Blank panel, left of radio

Wiring Relays for Off-road lights

Fog light switch locations...

Just ordered....need advice

I am running the small projector fog lights. They are small enough to fit next the the winch and have a 1" thick glass lense. Durable enough to take the abuse they get up there :D

They do not add a ton of light , more of side and low filler lighting.

The Hella Optilux is another version that is similar to mine.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Sigh

Guilty as charged. I never did a search :D

I was merely celebrating the holiday and was being lazy but, will look at all your links :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:... I never did a search...

It took three searches to find the articles that I wanted you to see :mrgreen:
Last edited by HenryJ on Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Pros, Cons, Alternatives. What type of "lights" and wiring? Wiring suggestions?

Let 'er rip, taterchip! EDIT.............
FORGET LIGHTS. WIRING AND SWITCH PLACEMENT

Just opinions on the Westin Safari Bars

Are they worth it and those that have them with 2"BLs how did you modify?

I know it is hard Brule but, just try sitting on your hands through this one
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:... try sitting on your hands through this one
Can't....
You better get a little more specific about what you expect of the lights you want to add.

Fog, Offroad, Deer, Highway driving, backroad driving, border patrol, scene lighting , etc.. Add the primary conditions too (gravel roads, asphalt, highway speeds, crawling speeds, forest, hills, swamps, etc.)

"Paint the picture" ;)

...now sitting on hands...you're on your own.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Whew!

Please read my edit, Brule:)

Forget the lights and EVERYTHING electrical :roll:

I am only interested in their platform. I only request input with regards to Westin Safari type bar, with or without a 2 inch BL and if a BL was performed would love to know what type of mod to perform.

Are you pushing your sleep depredation limit again?

Would hate to make you sit thru a lecture from my wife about that :lol: :lol:
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Safari bar, and I have owned one -- guess I still doo, too bad it's in a mangled pile in my shop:

Pros:
Relatively inexpensive.
Installs in about 15 minutes (unless you have a BL and want to modify it to sit a little taller)
Looks good IMO.

Cons:
Weak - won't hold up to even a mild front end collision - don't think of pushing anything with it.

The tabs on mine didnt stick out far enough for me to mount a pair of 6" ProComp 100 watt lights, so I welded me some longer tabs to the stock tabs.

Mounted in the stock manner - it bounces. most people run a heavy duty zip-tie from the cross bar to their tow hooks and that holds it still.

It blocks use of the front tow hooks in most angles.

The mounts, even modified hang down kinda far -- if you plan on off roading much they can get hung up on steep approach angles.

I'm torn on replacing mine after it's experience with the Yukon I hit -- I want lights back on my truck, and my lifted moutning brackets survived the wreck, but I'm not sure that's the best way that I need to spend $85
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

adrenalnjunky wrote:Safari bar, and I have owned one -- guess I still doo, too bad it's in a mangled pile in my shop:
Pros:
Relatively inexpensive.
Installs in about 15 minutes (unless you have a BL and want to modify it to sit a little taller)
Cons:
Weak - won't hold up to even a mild front end collision - don't think of pushing anything with it.
The tabs on mine didnt stick out far enough for me to mount a pair of 6" ProComp 100 watt lights, so I welded me some longer tabs to the stock tabs.
Mounted in the stock manner - it bounces. most people run a heavy duty zip-tie from the cross bar to their tow hooks and that holds it still.
It blocks use of the front tow hooks in most angles.
The mounts, even modified hang down kinda far -- if you plan on off roading much they can get hung up on steep approach angles.

I'm torn on replacing mine after it's experience with the Yukon I hit -- I want lights back on my truck, and my lifted moutning brackets survived the wreck, but I'm not sure that's the best way that I need to spend $85
Very good info! Thanks. :D

Looks like I need to look into the roof rack that has been discussed here. It's a shame that no bull bar (as far as I know) is offered for our crews. My wife insists on me picking out an Xmas gift for myself and was going to go with the westin safari bar and I would buy some good lights for it :D
n0m4d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by n0m4d »

I bought mine 2 and a half years ago and was a tad disappointed with its sturdiness. It is very attractive (esp in chrome) and does a great job at holding my aux lights on. So in that respect I am happy with it. It’s definitely more eye candy than structure. I got into my first collision with it last week and oddly enough it held up ok. I rear ended a Corolla who decided to stop while yielding onto an empty road. The bar flexed back and hit my tow hooks. That is where it stopped. I got a little dent in the bar where it hit the tow hooks and I busted one of the fog light lenses. I also had to polish off some of the plastic that transferred from the Corolla. I replaced the lens and all is good as almost new.

So if you want a nice looking bar to mount lights on, I’d say go for it. If you want to ram stuff you should look elsewhere.

BTW: PIAA lights are the ONLY way to go (IMHO)
:roll:
[size=75]No more CrewCab. Now driving 2007 Hummer H3, 5-speed, 35" Toyo Open Country MT's, PIAA in the driving lights. [/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Yakima roof rack and PIAA lights :shock:

You definitely have good tastes and a deep pocket book :!:

Thanks for the input :D Will keep the Safari Bar in the running.

Are you happy with your roof rack?
n0m4d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by n0m4d »

I am very happy with my roof rack. It was very costly, but it was on my old truck for 1 year and my crew for over 3 years now. It still looks pretty much as good as new.

It's about as sturdy as they come. I off-road with 2 heavy mountain bikes on the roof regularly. I have thrown a sheet of plywood on it along with a love-seat and sat up there to watch the races a couple times. All without damaging the truck. Until last summer I decided to swing through the drive up ATM and didn't pay attention to the overhead clearance. I ended up wedged under the canopy with a bike on the roof. I snapped off the bike seat post (tore up the seat good) and pushed the rack back on the roof 4 inches. I also ended up with 2 dents in the roof where rack sat on the drive side. :twisted: But no damage at all to the rack. So I guess it’s tougher than both my bike and my truck.

The PIAAs have been on both trucks too. They have a lifetime warranty so when the buckets and rings rust out every other year I just call them and get new ones without a hassle. 85 watts of pure heaven!
[size=75]No more CrewCab. Now driving 2007 Hummer H3, 5-speed, 35" Toyo Open Country MT's, PIAA in the driving lights. [/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

yup -- My Yakima has taken 2 shots due to overhead clearance issues - once on my truck, and once when it belonged to my buddys cherokee before I bought it from him.

I used to work in a bike shop that sold Yakima stuff, and remember the catalog on year had a picture of a lady's tacoma that a pine tree about 12 inches in diameter had fallen over and landed on her truck right down the centerline of the roof. should have totaled her truck, but the yakima caught the tree and gave her a few dents in the roof instead. Course now, I have my setup attached to the factory rack, so I don't expect it to be quite as strong as one that attaches directly to the doorjambs with towers.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]