Replacing floor carpeting with vinyl or rubber covering

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Replacing floor carpeting with vinyl or rubber covering

Post by F9K9 »

I am interested in yanking my carpeting out and replacing it with a plain black synthetic or rubber flooring for the ease of cleaning after a day of 4 wheeling. Have done a search here to no avail. Has anyone stumbled across something like this to fit to our "CCs"

I know that there are numerous floor mats on the market that will help but, I am only interested in replacing the entire carpeted area.

I wonder if some skillful cutting on a blazer's synthetic mat would work.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Replacing floor carpeting with vinyl or rubber covering

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:I am interested in yanking my carpeting out and replacing it with a plain black synthetic or rubber flooring...I wonder if some skillful cutting on a blazer's synthetic mat would work.
Sure seems like it might be "do-able".
The front half should fit with no problems. It would just be the rear seat area that might be a little different.

Maybe one of the four door Blazer guys could post a shot of the rear floor area in front of the rear seats to compare?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

ACC = auto custom carpets. They make em.

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have to speak up in favor of the carpet and floor mats.

The rubber mats are nice in that they do not stain, or absorb water , but there are drawbacks.

The water pools in them and has no where to go other than under the sill plate or kick panel. when the moisture gets under there it has no where to go. It is trapped since rubber doesn't breathe.

Rubber doesn't hide dust, smearing, etc. Everything shows.

You have to wipe or vacuum them , since they are not removable.

It is Hot and loud. Noise is not as readily absorbed and heat is, as well as radiated. When hot they can be a little smelly depending on the composition.

Carpet on the otherhand can be protected by some good floormats and work pretty well in muddy conditions. If it does get wet, it does dry out eventually. You do have to vacuum it out, but the carpet does hide quite a bit.

I am using the Highland floor mats that Conman sent to me after the sale of his crew. They fit very well and catch all the debris :thumb:
Just pull them out , dump the debris, and hose them off if needed.
The only complaint that I have is that the driver side moves around a little, but some self adhesive velcro strips should solve that easily.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Yep--I have husky liners front and rear -- the old school noncarpeted ones -- I wouldnt have it any other way since my truck tends to go for a few months between cleanings at times. Oh,and they'll hold an entire 1 liter Mountain Dew Code Red, if you can get stopped without sloshing it over the lip. I make no guarantees how they will perform with the lemon-lime version of the drink.

I picked mine up cheap on ebay -- but I didn't see any there right now searching with the keywords husky, chevy, blazer, or s-10
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thanks for all input and recommendations :)

I guess I'm just used to the rubber flooring after having them in various gov't issued rigs over 25 yrs ( I was the less intelligent 1/2 of a K-9 team for 15 yrs) and I could clean them up quickly.

Deep water is not going to be a factor unless, Mother Nature stays on her current path :lol: :lol:

I'll research the newer mats before I go with the rubber flooring. The only problems I had with them was if I had the truck commercially washed and some dolt would use armour all on the floor, :x
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

junky just drink dew pitch black its dark and wont show on the charcol seats and carpet :lol:
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I beg your pardon? :lol: :lol:

Only reason I bought this "short school bus" was the fact it was an '02 w/600 miles on it (in 5/'04) and it was 9k off sticker! I figured it was my last shot at heated leather seats and mirrors. I had stopped at the dealer to look at a black low miles '03 ZR2 to trade my '97 ZR2 for.

I bought it, love it despite it's shortcomings and have learned a lot and met some good people since I did :!: