?? deeper sound, how?

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

duce
Crew
Crew

?? deeper sound, how?

Post by duce »

just got my truck back with my flowmaster 40 and 3" tip.i like it but wish it had a deeper sound so my ?. is if i get a high flow cat will it help with the deeper sound :?:

try to label the thread the topic of your question, it will help others later when they are searching the databases for answers to the same question you just asked, thanks -hobie
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: ????

Post by a2b »

duce wrote:just got my truck back with my flowmaster 40 and 3" tip.i like it but wish it had a deeper sound so my ?. is if i get a high flow cat will it help with the deeper sound :?:

dunno, is that legal? or is it something you do yourself and not tell anyone. out here, not even a muffler shop will touch your cat...
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

It won't pass emissions....maybe adding glasspacks?...bigger diameter pipe? I know that you can go without a muffler and get a little more sound but then u are dealing with the loss of backpressure..that may set of ses light
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
duce
Crew
Crew

Post by duce »

well i guss it is legel here in ontario because the shop were i got my flowmaster from sells the high flow cat,s about $300 and thats not including installing it so before i get one and pay that much money i was hopping someone had one and could tell me if it made any difference.
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

I would guess ontario is different :lol: . I do know that most exhaust shops cannot touch from the cat forward on 1997 and above vehicles...at least in the US. I had a jeep wrangler with hedders, single exhaust then the stock cat got clogged. I cut it open, gutted it, welded it back empty..I tried starting her and not enough backpressure. I ended up towing it to meineke and they said that it was illegal for them to touch it.
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: ?? deeper sound, how?

Post by HenryJ »

duce wrote: if i get a high flow cat will it help with the deeper sound :?:
We already have a high flow cat, plus a pre-cat.

Bigger pipe and a long glasspack will give a V-8 a pretty deep tone.

I'm not sure there is much better than 3" pipe , free flowing muffler, and a resonator tip for the V-6 we have.

Might try adding a resonator muffler (really short free flowing glasspack)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya luckily i found a muffler shop out here that dont pay attention to those laws...they will touch my cat all day if they want :shock:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
duce
Crew
Crew

Post by duce »

ok so the glasspack seams to be the way but is that instead of the flowmaster or with it? i just got the flowmaster and don't want to rip it out and replace it with the glasspack...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

duce wrote:ok so the glasspack seams to be the way but is that instead of the flowmaster or with it? i just got the flowmaster and don't want to rip it out and replace it with the glasspack...
Ask a muffler guy who has lots of experience. I trust mine.

You may be able to add a shorty, or play with tips.

There is no way that this is going to have the deep tone of a V-8.

One more thing, don't do anything for a few months, your system is new and needs to season a bit. The sound will change a little as the exhaust breaks in.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

put a 3-1/2" echo pipe on the end say 8"-12" long with a turn down. It will echo off the ground giving it a louder deeper sound.

The 40series should give you what your looking for.
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

Obviously someone has to work on/with cats because at some point someone, somewhere is bound to need one replaced- even if it's an OEM cat. Simply replacing one with a superior afermarket product is far different than tampering with the stock cat IMO, even for emissons.
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

High flow cats really don't flow any better than stock ones...it's just that their inlet and outlet are usually a little larger than stock, so they can call them "high flow."

Flowmasters are notorious for not sounding good soon after install. I would wait a few months and let it season a little. If it's still bad after that, then get the glasspack. I had one on my 92 4.3 S10 and it sounded nice and deep.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

the dealer is supposed to be the only place to work on your cat
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

huh.
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

a2b wrote:the dealer is supposed to be the only place to work on your cat
In Oregon (not sure about the "handcuff state" Calif.) muffler shops are licensed to do emission system component repair and replacement. (you do have to retain the receipt as proof)
AZS10Crew wrote:High flow cats really don't flow any better than stock ones...it's just that their inlet and outlet are usually a little larger than stock, so they can call them "high flow."
Yes, and if you check your cat it is 3" in/out (reduced slightly to the flange) we do have a factory high flow cat. There is room for improvement, the outlet has that 90* S.

After a bodylift there is room to go with a straight 3" section.

There are different designs of cat also. Ours is pretty good, there would not be much improvement in using an aftermarket cat. on ours , IMO.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
duce
Crew
Crew

Post by duce »

thanks everyone for the replys :D i think i will just give it some time to break in and see how it sounds.i aim putting in a k&n could air system this weekend will that make any difference?
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

duce wrote:thanks everyone for the replys :D i think i will just give it some time to break in and see how it sounds.i aim putting in a k&n could air system this weekend will that make any difference?

A high flow intake will definitely make a difference. That combined with a little "seasoning" of the Flowmaster, and you should have pretty decent sound.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Pat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Pat »

Since we are on the topic of exaust and cats what restriction do we have in regards to a dual exaust mod. Even in CA I have seen after market cats. Can they be installed by a shop with headers and a muffler upgrage and still pass smog?
Crew02
Crew
Crew

Post by Crew02 »

Well that is an open ended question. I live in North Carolina were 38 out of 100 counties currently have emissions testing. Last year North Carolina Upgraded their testing equipment. Now the equipment plugs into your data port and reads the Vin# and the data from the sensors on your engine. No more probe in the tail pipe. This was good and bad. Good in the fact that anything older than 1996 in now exempt from emissions testing. The bad, we havenít figured a way around it yet. But back to your question, as it has been mentioned here before, you need to consult with a reputable muffler shop. They will know. Also ask the company about the components your are wanting to purchase. Ask them if their items are 50 state legal. Here, any service station can be an inspection station. I know that other states have state ran facilities just for this purpose, if this is not the case in CA, then try to find a muffler shop that is also a inspection station. Also check out this web site. I'm glad I don't live in CA! http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html
[size=75]2002 Crewcab - Best Mod XM Radio, 2" Body Lift, 30 X 9.5 BFG Long Trail, Factory Locker, T-Bar Crank , Rear Shackles. ORI PreRunner Bar, Hella 500 Lights.
1990 Jeep Wrangler, ARB lockers front/Rear, Winches Front/rear,4" suspension Lift, 2" body lift, 35" BFG Mud TA's, Geared 4:56.
Amateur Radio Operator KC4-IKR[/size]
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

not that i'm endosrsing this but i knew "someone" that did emssions testing and if you were "good" friends with this "person" you would be hooked up for your decal

depending on where you live and who you know and all that 8)
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

smokinjoe wrote:not that i'm endosrsing this but i knew "someone" that did emssions testing and if you were "good" friends with this "person" you would be hooked up for your decal

depending on where you live and who you know and all that 8)

:thumb:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Crew02
Crew
Crew

Post by Crew02 »

Yea, Thats the way it used to be here. You would pull your truck into one bay and they would type your Vin # into the machine and then pull another car into the stall beside you and put the probe into it's tail pipe. But with the new system its alittle harder. Its reads the Vin # and the sensor readings off of the computer. But I'm sure someone will come up with something.
[size=75]2002 Crewcab - Best Mod XM Radio, 2" Body Lift, 30 X 9.5 BFG Long Trail, Factory Locker, T-Bar Crank , Rear Shackles. ORI PreRunner Bar, Hella 500 Lights.
1990 Jeep Wrangler, ARB lockers front/Rear, Winches Front/rear,4" suspension Lift, 2" body lift, 35" BFG Mud TA's, Geared 4:56.
Amateur Radio Operator KC4-IKR[/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Crew02 wrote:Also check out this web site. I'm glad I don't live in CA! http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html
Yeah.. this state pretty much sucks if you are a car enthusiast..
Try having a '90 ProStreet Mustang (535hp to the rear wheels).. Everything on it is 'CA Smog legal' but the person who built it has passed away, and getting ANY smog station in this state to actually test it is a pain.. If they'd test it and look through the paperwork, its 100% smogable, but most refuse it just looking at the car, they assume its not smog legal and dont even try to pass it.. Its currently sitting as a non-op, and using a friend's dealer plate to get it to the occasional parade/show :angel:
I've been wondering if the CrewCab can handle it on a Featherlite open race trailer.. the trailer is under 1,000lbs and has electrical braking.. I guess I'll have to weigh the car and see if it comes in under the towing capacity..
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kf6kmx wrote:...I've been wondering if the CrewCab can handle it on a Featherlite open race trailer.. the trailer is under 1,000lbs and has electrical braking.. I guess I'll have to weigh the car and see if it comes in under the towing capacity..
I think that you'll be fine. It will sag pretty bad though. That is why I added the Boise SpringWorks kit.
My car weighs just under 3k (if I have had a light breakfast), and my trailer is probably close to yours at 1k. It doen't pull it like my old Suburban does, but not too bad for shorter trips.

Towing capacity is 5500, so I'm pretty sure your 'stang doesn't weigh over 4500 :lol:

P.S. What kind of times does it run in the 1/4?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

welldarn, i just hate Alabama, we don't have any of those "cool" emissions checks, :lol: it is still tricky getting your cat cut out though, for some anyways, i have dealt with the same place so much that last time i had an exhaust done they asked me if i wanted that cat removed, the answer was no because it was a friends car that i had driven up there to get the hook up on the price :thumb: the guy rode with me, :shock: he is a cop :?: but he was cool about it, :thumb:
Last edited by Maximous on Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

i was just wondering, HernyJ, why is there an exhaust question in the audio/electrical section? :?

Nah, it is in the mod section.................................now ;) thx-HJ
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

HenryJ wrote:
kf6kmx wrote:...I've been wondering if the CrewCab can handle it on a Featherlite open race trailer.. the trailer is under 1,000lbs and has electrical braking.. I guess I'll have to weigh the car and see if it comes in under the towing capacity..
I think that you'll be fine. It will sag pretty bad though. That is why I added the Boise SpringWorks kit.
My car weighs just under 3k (if I have had a light breakfast), and my trailer is probably close to yours at 1k. It doen't pull it like my old Suburban does, but not too bad for shorter trips.

Towing capacity is 5500, so I'm pretty sure your 'stang doesn't weigh over 4500 :lol:

P.S. What kind of times does it run in the 1/4?
Thanks.. I thought it should pull ok, but wasnt sure.. A friend has been trying to talk me into a set of airbag overloads for it, but I dont know how good they would work being a 4x4.. he has them on a 3/4ton 2wd that pulls a large horse trailer and they work great, when the trailer isnt there you drop the airpressure and the ride goes back to normal.. he keeps swearing that they would HELP the offroad ability, but I'm not completely convinced..

I HOPE it doesnt weigh that much! ouch!
I havent run it myself yet (long story.. a friend built it; he passed away from a heart condition; his brother inherited it a couple years ago, but doesnt really know much about newer/high performance; so after I have been the one keeping it working I'm trading him my mostly stock (street-modified, sort of) '66 Mustang for it.. )
Its been sitting for over a year at his place under a cover, but otherwise out in the open, so the BFG Street-Drag radials are dried out, and it need some general TLC and cleaning (it runs great, except for one leaking fuel line, but thats an easy fix).. When the original builder was alive and he ran it in Fomoso (by Bakersfield) it ran betweeen 11 and 12 in the 1/4.. He passed away while still working on it.. It has a ProCharger with Air-Air intercooler.. its NOT the quiet blower either, this is the screamer! It gets your attention when its running.. That and the 3" (cat and all) exhaust..
To top it off.. its a convertible... Can you imagine doing high 11's in a CONVERTIBLE? He never got the roll bar put in either... but he didnt miss it, he was a motorcycle drag racer, so a roll bar seemed like an accessory.. (the track didnt think so, as soon as it ran under 12 without a rollbar in a convert, they kicked it off the track for the night... but he was happy, got his timing slip.. Someplace I have a couple pictures of it..
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Justin wrote:It won't pass emissions....maybe adding glasspacks?...bigger diameter pipe? I know that you can go without a muffler and get a little more sound but then u are dealing with the loss of backpressure..that may set of ses light
Actually engines are tuned for a certain amount of backpressure.. especially for low end torque (important for a 4x).. if you take an engine and run open headers, first glance says "hey no back pressure at all it'll run great", but you actually loose low end power (I'm not an engineer so I can t explain how).. but I've seen it myself on vehicles I've owned and modified.. a couple of them I expirimented with exhaust combinations and tracked the p[ower/responsiveness changes.. its tricky but you idealy want a high flow but just the right amount of backpressure.. On the 03 CC I found the stock size pipe and a MagnaFlow muffler (will have to lookup which size..) made the best power curve so far.. Glasspack lost some power on it.. High rev power, glasspacks work great, but low end pulling power it seemed to lag off some.. On my '97 Intrepid I had custom built a cat-back system with 3" pipe, and 12" glasspacks (one of each side on an after-cat dual exhaust).. on that it worked terrific because we were after high rpm power.. it didnt really 'kick' in until the car was over 3,600rpm (redline was 5,800, rev limiter on 5,700).. and it sounded like a cross between and indy car and a V8.. it hada deep idle and low end, but when you wrapped it up it would increase pitch like an Indy engine.. when the race shop installed it, he said he kept starting it over the pit to hear it and show it off to other customers until I came back that night for it (maybe that explains that drop in the amount of gas that was in it :roll:

To get a deeper sound, you might try a smaller muffler, and add a large area resonator.. that will generally smooth out and lower the tone..
On a past project (in the early 90's) '87 Mazda 626, I ran no muffler, just the stock cat and a medium resonator, the out a slash-tip.. it dropped the note on the 4cyl to sound like a large V6.. you could probably get a resonator combo on the V6 to lower the tone to the newer Vortec V8 sound..