air box mod

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

air box mod

Post by bubaloo1983 »

i read the air box mod on the mod page and would like to do it. im still i little shaky cutting s### up on my truck. it looks like you remove the air filter thing that says vortec v6 on it? but im still kinda confused on what you actually hjave to cut? do you take out the entire filter thing with air filter on it? and how do you get the inside of the box off? does it just come off? and what do you mean you will hear the diffrence when you step on the gas peda;l? is it loud or you can feel the power? any more help[ would be great you guys rule thx!
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

yes you remove the v6 votec cover.. it unsnaps.. then you move it to one side.. you might have to also remove the clamp that holds that cover to the large metal sensor.. I thinks its tha Mass air flow sensor.. ok so you completly remove the cover.. then you remove your air filter.. (DO NOT CUT YOUR AIR FILTER) ok then ther is one nut on the side closest to the drivers side that holds th bottom part down.. remove that one nut.. now you should be able to pull the bottom of the cover off.... and that is the part you cut... ok so to know which area to cut... stand in front of your drivers side healdight.. if you are looking at the box.. you want the nice cool air to come in from the south east side.. so when you remove the bottom part that is held with the single nut.. it has a horn looking thingy on it.. cut that off and everything else on that side..( remember dont cut the area where the air filter sits.. the frame are... now you can cut the entire east side of the box off too.. ok so NORTH is where your filter sits, east is the side that faces the drivers fender, south is where the horn thingy is, and west is the side that face the engine.. do not cut the west side.. remember you want the cool air comeing from the front not the hot air coming from the engine.. I hope I helped.. someone correct me if I am wrong It has been a long time since I did it and I am typing what I see in my head... :D
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: air box mod

Post by barch97 »

bubaloo1983 wrote: i read the air box mod on the mod page and would like to do it. im still i little shaky cutting s### up on my truck.
I have same opinion. which is why I went with one of these instead. Figured it's only $60. So, if it doesn't work or makes performance/fuel efficiency worse, I can put the oem airbox back in.

Didn't cut anything. Just remove the hose clamp at the front side of the mass air flow sensor and remove everything forward of that. Replace with parts included in package.
bubaloo1983 wrote:and what do you mean you will hear the difference when you step on the gas peda;l? is it loud or you can feel the power?
I can certainly HEAR the difference. It's not so much louder but more focused. It sounds A LOT more masculine. Also a marked improvement in acceleration. Kinda pushes you back in the seat when you floor it. As for fuel efficiency, there's been no improvement or decrease. So, I've gained a little more power (manufacturer claims 10% HP increase) much cooler sounding engine noise on acceleration and haven't seen any real disadvantage.

ImageImage

added the smaller pics, instead-HJ

Kinda works on similar principle to the K&N FIPK. Probably not as substantial an improvement but at less than 1/3 the cost.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Whoops...

The link I posted above is to manufacturer's website and lists price of $99. If you order from their ebay store it's only $59. Thus my $60 price quote.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The information on the website- modified stock airbox does a pretty good job.

I did things a little differently - Factory air box and modified headlight support. My page shows the piece that was cut out. I'm not sure which page you have been referring to.

There is a subtle power difference though I have not measured it with more than feel. The sound does increase some too. You get that "BWAAHHH" sound that was muffled by the stock airbox assy.

Barch97, your filter looks like a good buy. Make sure there is a support to take the pressure off of the MAFS and keep it from coming loose during offroad operation. With that filter , if it has a good heat shield, you could add a tube to replace the accordion and have a pretty good flowing system?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

No body notices the airbox has been cut.. so don't worry about that.. and the dealer wont care cause he wont know... when I traded in my nissan sentra.. I installed a remote start kit.. at the dealership they told me it didn't add any cost to the car.. so I grabbed a set of dikes and yanked and cliped (not carefully either) every single wire till I got my remote atart beck.. it didn't work after that but it didn't matter cause nobody else got my labor for free.. he he you should of seen the mess of ignition wires I cut.. the dealer didn't say a word dude he just stood there and watched.. then I handed him the keys and rode away on the new crew :shock: :D
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

did it this morning...no prob hey im getting good at this stuff lol( im not mechanically minded i tell ya) and i must say one thing to you guys ever since i found this sight i have loved my crew more then ever. YOU GUYS RULE. sucks i live in canada or i would come wheel with you guys ...but most of you seem to live in the states. im going to keep on modin my truck with all the stuff you guys have on this page. thx for all the help talk soon

laterz!
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

bubaloo1983 wrote:did it this morning...no prob hey im getting good at this stuff lol( im not mechanically minded i tell ya) and i must say one thing to you guys ever since i found this sight i have loved my crew more then ever. YOU GUYS RULE. sucks i live in canada or i would come wheel with you guys ...but most of you seem to live in the states. im going to keep on modin my truck with all the stuff you guys have on this page. thx for all the help talk soon

laterz!
Wait til you take your ride apart to this level!
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

GaryH wrote:Wait til you take your ride apart to this level!
:shock: I bet it was really nice till you left it in L.A for a night? :!:

I aint ever had a car broke to that extent.. but if I did I would probably cry myself to bed each night. :roll:
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Wrong coast. It was south east Washington DC. Funny though, they didn't take the wheels!
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

i like the wheels....and the..... errr.....uhhh..... frame,looks sharp, bet ya cant wait to uhmm.... push it around or somethin :D

i think i have the same ladder
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Well, it used to look like this:

Seems I'm also creating a "progress website" just trying to post these pictures. Oh well, pictures are good. I'm going to need something to help me figure out how to put it back together! :?
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

i like my modded airbox for sure. there was a difference in performance for sure.
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

To get back on the subject, I did the airbox mod and I like the difference. It was very noticable especially combined with the power programmer III. I just wish it was't quite so loud when I have my foot in it. Maybe it's just me but when I'm trying to outrun the fool in the next lane, I don't want them to know I'm giving it all it's got. I want them to think I'm hardly trying. Gotta maintain that cool image, you know! :roll:
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

i just did my air box. although living in an apartment while im in school, i dont have a lot of tools, including a jig saw or dremel tool. So i broke out the trusty drill :) yeah it took a while, and was a lot more work than it should have been. hopefully when i drive it, i will notice the difference. I also have a flowmaster 40 series with the dual outlets, maybe it will be real nice!
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

Now a Scion xD with lots of audio stuff!
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

:roflmao: woot! sounds good. cant really tell a performance diff tho.
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

Id be mad for all the trouble you have to go through with a drill.. but its all in modding if you ask me.
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

yeah maybe but you can only expect so much from a free mod anyway right? :bounce:

a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

GaryH wrote:
bubaloo1983 wrote:did it this morning...no prob hey im getting good at this stuff lol( im not mechanically minded i tell ya) and i must say one thing to you guys ever since i found this sight i have loved my crew more then ever. YOU GUYS RULE. sucks i live in canada or i would come wheel with you guys ...but most of you seem to live in the states. im going to keep on modin my truck with all the stuff you guys have on this page. thx for all the help talk soon

laterz!
Wait til you take your ride apart to this level!
gary. i hope you plan on cleaning up that frame??????????? once i get mine with all the bracketry welded on, i am taking it to have it sandblasted and then i am going to paint it
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Oh, I plan to clean it, paint it and everything. Right now, I'm still taking it apart (like there's much left). Just need some time. The big project over the last 2 weeks was basement waterproofing. For anyone who has ever gone through that nightmare, you know what I've had to deal with. Concrete dust everywhere, ruined drywall, trashed carpeting, etc!
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

GaryH wrote:Oh, I plan to clean it, paint it and everything. Right now, I'm still taking it apart (like there's much left). Just need some time. The big project over the last 2 weeks was basement waterproofing. For anyone who has ever gone through that nightmare, you know what I've had to deal with. Concrete dust everywhere, ruined drywall, trashed carpeting, etc!
um... I may be a little late in mentioning this but, you're spose to waterproof BEFORE you install the drywall and carpet.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

barch97 wrote:
GaryH wrote:Oh, I plan to clean it, paint it and everything. Right now, I'm still taking it apart (like there's much left). Just need some time. The big project over the last 2 weeks was basement waterproofing. For anyone who has ever gone through that nightmare, you know what I've had to deal with. Concrete dust everywhere, ruined drywall, trashed carpeting, etc!
um... I may be a little late in mentioning this but, you're spose to waterproof BEFORE you install the drywall and carpet.
We didn't know the place leaked until after we bought it 4 years ago. In fact we suspect the previous owner drywalled and installed the carpet trying to hide some of the problems (there was rotted wood paneling under the drywall). He turned out to be one of those "investors" who buy cheap houses, cosmetically fix them up and sell them for a tidy profit to the first unsuspecting sucker who comes along. I guess my middle name is "sucker". :(