Installed OEM Roof Rack... HELP!

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Rockhead

Installed OEM Roof Rack... HELP!

Post by Rockhead »

My '02 CC had no roof rack until earlier today. I ordered one from the dealer and installed it myself. I screwed up a couple of things and would love to hear the opinions of the group before I go any further.

First of all, I had a hell of a time getting the rubber compression nuts to remain inside the roof panel while tightening them. Particularly the rears. I figured out that I had to apply alot of weight to the rack while tightening in order for them to seat properly. Unfortunately, I was using a very powerful cordless drill at this point, having cramped both forearms by repeated tightening/loosening. I split one of the compression nuts. It'll hold for now, but I'll need to tend to it before I load the rack up with anything heavy. Now, I could get another rubber nut and try again. Or (what I'm thinking) get some sort of blind nut and feed it through the hole, or even drop the headliner just enough to get a real nut underneath. Any thoughts?

And, of course, any DIY roof rack installation would not be complete without drilling a hole through the headliner. That's right. :x On my last friggin' hole, the bit went through. Yeah, I know. I should have used a drill stop. The hole isn't that bad despite the 1/2" bit I was using, and I doubt it'll get any worse. Anyone have any tips on making it less noticable?

All in all, a nice looking rack at a very decent price (about $120). Took about 1.5 hours to install, including tedious measuring. It will definately see use as a ladder rack, cargo holder, etc. Any input would be appreciated.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us like equals.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Did you use the double stick adhesive tape?

Somebody here recomended using a nut and washer to compress the aluminum nutsert inserts, in place of the tool.

How about using the nutserts?

Be sure to use some sealer on the nutsert and the threads. I'd also use the double stick tape to help seal the dirt and water from underneath it.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

How much was the dealer going to charge for installation and where's the pics?
Rockhead

Post by Rockhead »

HenryJ wrote:Did you use the double stick adhesive tape?

Somebody here recomended using a nut and washer to compress the aluminum nutsert inserts, in place of the tool.

How about using the nutserts?

Be sure to use some sealer on the nutsert and the threads. I'd also use the double stick tape to help seal the dirt and water from underneath it.

Didn't use any tape. The four mounting points use plastic trays which match the roof contour. The trays are not attached to the rack... they just sit underneath. Tape wouldn't have worked. I've heard of the Nutserts, but the rubber nuts that came with the rack looked decent enough. Actually, I think they would have been fine if I didn't "overwork" one of them. I might try to find an extra one or two just to have on hand.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us like equals.
Rockhead

Post by Rockhead »

barch97 wrote:How much was the dealer going to charge for installation and where's the pics?

I never asked what they would have charged. I figure at least an hour at the going rate of $60/per. Plus, drop-off the truck, get a ride to work, get a ride back, etc. A bit too much for a simple bolt-on (Although, I did manage to screw it up! :lol: )

Honestly, I'm happy with the rack. It's solid and looks great. I have no pics yet since I lack a digital camera, but I'll post some as soon as I get a chance.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rockhead wrote:Didn't use any tape. The four mounting points use plastic trays which match the roof contour. The trays are not attached to the rack... they just sit underneath. Tape wouldn't have worked. I've heard of the Nutserts, but the rubber nuts that came with the rack looked decent enough. Actually, I think they would have been fine if I didn't "overwork" one of them. I might try to find an extra one or two just to have on hand.

;) Got'cha. I'm with what rack you're using...now, sorry for my confusion :D

Any hardware store will have the rubber inserts. Seems like I paid about $1 ea.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
mi2kga
Regular
Regular

Post by mi2kga »

my rack did not fit right, there is a little space between the 4 "feet" and the roof line. It seems as if the contour is not right. also i believe gm put my 2 crossbars on backwards because this thing whistles like a biotche...

kent
Thanks

Kent
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

mi2kga wrote:my rack did not fit right, there is a little space between the 4 "feet" and the roof line. It seems as if the contour is not right. also i believe gm put my 2 crossbars on backwards because this thing whistles like a biotche...

kent

My ZR5 roof rack whistles also. The thicker part of the crossbars are forward I think. I think it whistles more than a blazer(same rack just not as long), because it sits so close to the front of the roof and because it's right above us, it sound louder. It's only loud for me when it's really windy outside. It's normally quiet for me even when at highway speeds.

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

FYI - There was a dealer bulletin about this last year that said just to put the front crossbar further back and it would solve the whistle.
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

I used to have the Frontier Crew Cab and there was a little "ramp" in front of the Roof Rack..would something like that be beneficial for those of us who have roof racks?
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

That woudl probably work. I think Thule makes something like that that you can attach to the front of roof racks to deflect the air.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

How much weight are these racks supposed to support?
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

Aren't they only good for 175 lbs or something like that. It should be in your owners manual.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

I just installed an aftermarket roof rack to my CC this weekend. Took my time...it went flawlessly. Still can't believe I drilled holes in my roof :( I took the precaution of buying a drill stop set. Glad I did. When the bit pops through, it really POPs through the sheet metal!

I am a little concerned about the wax dipped scews they sent with the rack. How difficult is it to drop the head liner enough so that I can get a dab of silicon sealant on the bottom side of the screws?

Also, a side note. I mounted my rack a little further back on the roof instead of centering it. It's extremely quiet. I can't hear anything above the low growl of my BFG AT's. My experience with roof rack is this. If the cross bars have an open channel, cover it with something. I drive the wife's Vue to Cleveland one weekend with the bikes on top and the cross bars open on top, HOLY CRAP! The rack SCREAMED all the way there and back! Capped off the open channel ther next day, not a peep since then. For what it's worth....
[size=75]'03 Crew K&N Drop-in, Sylvania Silverstars, BFG AT KO's(30X9.5X15)[/size]
Opus

Post by Opus »

I just installed an OEM rack that I bought off a totaled Blazer. The rack was about 15 inches too long between the front and rear feet. I cut 7.5 inches off of each end of each rail. It worked great. I got the rubber well nuts at a hardware store. The hardest part was getting the nerve to drill 8 holes in my roof!!!!

And, yes, I managed to go through the headliner on two holes (the two furthest to the rear on either side). :x I have solved this though. I got a couple of the pop-in trim buttons (plastic). There are already a couple of them along the back edge of the headliner. The two I added are right behind the grab rails on either side. It looks fine.

Ran it through the carwash a couple of times. And, left it sitting in the rain all day yesterday. No leaks. :D
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

come on people. where are the pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

As soon as it stops raining and I can wash the truck! It's just embarassingly dirty right now. Not even a respectable "Hey, I've been off-roading" kinda' dirty either. My truck looks like a woman owns it! :lol:
[size=75]'03 Crew K&N Drop-in, Sylvania Silverstars, BFG AT KO's(30X9.5X15)[/size]
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

Okay! I have pics. How do I post them here?
jarhead
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jarhead »

Instructions on posting pics are in the info forum :)
2001 pewter crew She's for sale