Borla Exhaust

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

n0m4d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Borla Exhaust

Post by n0m4d »

I’m looking to upgrade my exhaust. I almost bought the Gibson bolt-on but fortunately checked here first. Now I am thinking a custom system with a Flowmaster or a Borla. Borla’s website lists a cat back bolt-on for a 2000 ZR2 (P/N 14898). I thought our crew cabs were very similar to the ZR2.

Has anyone installed one of these on a crew cab or know of why I couldn’t?

I have read great things about the Borla system on ZR2.com and I would prefer a bolt on so I can do it myself.
[size=75]No more CrewCab. Now driving 2007 Hummer H3, 5-speed, 35" Toyo Open Country MT's, PIAA in the driving lights. [/size]
Jim

Re: Borla Exhaust

Post by Jim »

n0m4d wrote:I’m looking to upgrade my exhaust. I almost bought the Gibson bolt-on but fortunately checked here first. Now I am thinking a custom system with a Flowmaster or a Borla. Borla’s website lists a cat back bolt-on for a 2000 ZR2 (P/N 14898). I thought our crew cabs were very similar to the ZR2.

Has anyone installed one of these on a crew cab or know of why I couldn’t?

I have read great things about the Borla system on ZR2.com and I would prefer a bolt on so I can do it myself.
The last time I checked Borla didn't make a CC exhaust. I'm on the Email list for when they do. If enough of us ask they will make them!
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yeah, the ZR2 exhaust won't work because the right rear shock absorber is on the wrong side of the axle for us. The ZR2 pipe goes through right where our shock is.

I'm really happy with my exhaust. I'd just find a custom shop that you are comfortable with and have them build you a nice catback.

Oh! Welcome aboard :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

i asked this before but didnt get a responce.. I have a friend who cut off his mufflors :lol: and is running cats straight through. I think it sounds nice but havent heard it on the highway.. any one heard a setup like this on the highway.. one worry I have is a back fire.. i hate the popping noise it sounds cheasy
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I have part time open exhaust on mine...no gutted cat though. I put a cutout in the I-pipe before the muffler and added a McCord Power Plate onto the cutout so that I can open and close it with a switch inside the cab. Here's a pic...

It's not really loud at all outside, but it resonates pretty good inside the cab and can wear on your nerves after a while driving on the highway.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
n0m4d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by n0m4d »

HenryJ- Thanks for the reply. That was exactly the info I needed. I'll check out some of the local custom shops for Borla. That means as far as bolt-on cat-back systems, Gibson is all there is?

Thanks for the "Welcome" also, although I have been frequenting this site for a couple years (while searching for an explanation of why my engine rattles), I am just getting to participating in the forum. It's been a great source on good info and advice.
[size=75]No more CrewCab. Now driving 2007 Hummer H3, 5-speed, 35" Toyo Open Country MT's, PIAA in the driving lights. [/size]
jarhead
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jarhead »

AZS10Crew wrote:I have part time open exhaust on mine...no gutted cat though. I put a cutout in the I-pipe before the muffler and added a McCord Power Plate onto the cutout so that I can open and close it with a switch inside the cab. Here's a pic...

It's not really loud at all outside, but it resonates pretty good inside the cab and can wear on your nerves after a while driving on the highway.
How much did that setup run you???????? How was the install??
2001 pewter crew She's for sale
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

The cutout costs about $30 from Summit...it's the 2.5". Install was $30 at a local muffler shop...cost of that will depend on where you have it done. The power plate was $105+shipping and I did the install in about 30 minutes.
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
n0m4d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by n0m4d »

OK, I have one more question. How is the exhaust from a 4wd extracab different from the crew cab? I see a Magnaflow system that may be worth looking at, but it is listed for the extracab/short box. The cc has the same wheelbase, is everything underneath the truck the same?
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

The hanger locations are different I think. Not 100% sure though.
[size=75]Mark
Jim

Post by Jim »

AZS10Crew wrote:The hanger locations are different I think. Not 100% sure though.
Single exhaust may work, but w/ duals the gas tank is in the way :twisted:
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
n0m4d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by n0m4d »

I crawled under my truck and under a 4x4 Extended Short Box to compair the exhaust. They appear to be identical, even the hanger locations. So I think I'm going to order the stainless cat-back from Magnaflow (#15661) for the 4x4 Extended Short Box. Hopefully it fits OK :? I'm also ordering a K&N FPIK or AEM Bruteforce intake and a Hypertech Programmer to round out my upgrade.

Has anyone had any problems with Magnaflow?
Scott03
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Scott03 »

Sounds pretty sweet, let us know how the magnaflow works out (if it fits).
n0m4d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by n0m4d »

Before ordering today I crawled under the trucks and did one last set of measurements. The ext. cab shot box exhaust is different from the crews after all. All of the hangers are in the same place and all of the routing looks to be the same but the flange where the exhaust bolts on is closer to the rear and lower. I assume this is to leave a little more breathing room under the back seat. So, I’m taking the advice of those who recommended to have a custom shop do it.
n0m4d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by n0m4d »

Dual Flowmaster Series 40 (non delta) courtesy of Lou's Custom Exhaust.

Thank you to all for the advice.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The four inches of your system that I can see looks nice 8)
How does is sound?

What did it end up costing?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
n0m4d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by n0m4d »

They did a really good job of tucking everything out of sight. I wanted just the tips to peek out. Something a little different than the standard issue straight out the back truck exhaust look. It sounds good but I hope it gets deeper like he said it will. It took 4 1/2 hrs to install and cost $400 even. Seems like a good deal to me. I can take some underside pics and post them if anyone is interested.

Tomorrow my intake and programmer should be here.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Did you feel any difference with just the exhaust work?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Scott03
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Scott03 »

Pics of the underside would be awesome...
n0m4d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by n0m4d »

I definitely felt more power with just the exhaust work. For some reason the transmission felt like it was shifting smoother too. I just may be me. I ran the Hypertech upgrade last night. I adjusted the octane to 93, changed my tire size to 30” and increased the shift firmness. It was worth every cent for the shift firmness alone! I haven’t really noticed a dramatic increase in power, but I have only been on back roads. The intake is coming next week and I’m anxious to see what that does. I’ll take some pics of the exhaust once it stops raining (if it ever does).
GMan

Post by GMan »

If you can get the Gibson Single exhaust to work, you'll be happy with it's performance. My called all the exhaust companies that make kits for the s-10 and asked exactly what the gains were and found that Gibson had the highest gains in both hp and torque.

He did the same process for intake systems and found that AEM's Brute Force kit is best.

After installing the parts, he took me on a ride and it honestly felt like it had a 350 under the hood with plenty of torque.

As I said, IF it will fit, I'd go with the Gibson....unless of coarse you want to support your local muffler shop.

Jared