I Think I screwed Up My Spacer Order.......

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

dhawke
Crew
Crew

I Think I screwed Up My Spacer Order.......

Post by dhawke »

Okay...so, I go to put my long awaited spacers on last night...and...they came with 1/2" studs instead of 12mm. Did I screw the order up or did they? I don't remember ever being asked what size studs when I ordered my spacers.

If it is my fault. AIM will not take them back, so...what are my options? I refuse to use those crappy little nuts that came with the spacer to mount my wheel. Can I get 1/2" nuts to match my factoory 12mm or do I need to go out and get (2) sets of 1/2" and (2) sets of 12mm that match?
[size=75]'03 Crew K&N Drop-in, Sylvania Silverstars, BFG AT KO's(30X9.5X15)[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

hmmm, i guessed i used the crappy little nuts that came with it, lol :lol:

everyone that i know that ordered from aim, couldnt use the stock nuts to mount their rim..

but i dont remember what they gave you cuz when i had my new rims put on, they gave me a new set of chrome lugs cuz thier service took forever
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

I called AIM and they told me that they come with whatever is standard for that size spacer unless they are told otherwise. Apparently that was 1/2"

I called Advance Auto, they said they had all sorts of lug nuts in all sizes, so I shouldn't have a problem with finding two different sizes in the same style. It'll make things slightly more complicated whenever I rotate the tires or whatever, but I think I can deal with it.
[size=75]'03 Crew K&N Drop-in, Sylvania Silverstars, BFG AT KO's(30X9.5X15)[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

:lol: I did the same thing with the first set of spacers I got (1.25"). Then when I got the 2.25", I called them and specified it with the order. So in the front, I had to go buy nuts for the spacers and the wheel. The rear set I didn't have to buy anything, cause I ordered it correctly that time. So I just deal with my goof up. :?
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

thats what i love about this place when i order mine i had no clue that something like lug nut size would be an issue.you im so glad i read the posts here or else i would of had no clue and been in the same boat alot of other people are, by the hawke how much were your spacers shipped and all and what size did you get?
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

I got the 1.5" spacers from AIM. I think they were right at $115 with shipping.

From what the guy at AIM told me, you should be able to order spacers with 12mm studs. You just have to tell them when you order them.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

That's why I got mine from performance wheel. :) They didn't send lug nuts, but the lugs were the same size as stock. :thumb:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

Oh sure!! Now you tell me!!! :lol:

But seriously folks...in every thread that I have read about spacers...and there are MANY...no one ever brought up stud size.

Just be careful out there.......
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

maybe you should've used a stud finder...
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

:lol:

Yea, but where is the babe finder?
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

I sold mine on ebay. I didn't need it since the Mrs. and I were married.... :D
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I'm married too, but no harm in looking. haha
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Wrong studs

Post by snowsurfer »

Got the same problem, ordered correctly took over a month to come and they finally came and their not 12mm studs...

Rather then send them back and wait another month or two I just use two different lug nuts front and back. Oh well!!!!

2" spacers in the back looks great though I must admit. I'm using 18X9.5 vette rims
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

AZS10Crew wrote:That's why I got mine from performance wheel. :) They didn't send lug nuts, but the lugs were the same size as stock. :thumb:
Guys, may we suggest Performance Wheel? Granted thay cost a little more, but they ask the year, make, and model, and ask to confirm stud size when placing the order. They seem to go out of their way to get the right studs. And mine got here in about 8 days after ordering them. Get the lugs from them too. They were something like a buck each.

One thing that turned me off AIM was that several threads here have been badmouthing Truckin' Suspension's lifts, workmanship and customer service. Have any of you noticed that AIM and Trucking Suspension seem to be the same company? They both have the same fax number: 480 668 5442 Check out the two web sites. I was not about to try AIM after hearing about some of you guy's experiences with TS.
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Yeah...Truckin' Suspension lifts and AIM products are manufactured in the same place in Mesa, AZ. That's making me think twice about getting the TS lift too. I think now that if I get a lift at all it will be a Trailmaster.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

hmm--last time I piped up on an AIM subject I got personally attaced on a VW forum--but here goes.

**This is one of the things you learn from being into "those toy trucks" that sit on the pavement*** :lol:

AIM is known for 2 things in the minitrucking world --- low price and lower quality customer service. I'm not making this up--I know we just had a thread about the guys @ s10forum.com -- but go there and do a search for the words AIM and sucks in the same search. There are story after story about the lack of caring, super long shipping and order processing times and continuous lack of customer service.

People who call to get an improperly shipped / wrong part corrected have actually been told that they would have to pay to send the wrong part back, and pay a restocking fee to get what they have ordered and not been shipped. When they complain at times they have been told that "that's just the way it is."

The bad rep doesnt seem to dter hundreds from still ordering out of catalogs, and therefor AIM still makes money. To help save a little face they have other company names like just airbags.com, truckinsuspension.com, and many more that are all the same parent company -- AIM.

Like I said, I'm not bashing on AIM if nyone happens to work there, all of this can be backed up on numerous forums if you search for it.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

just take your plastic cap and push them over those bigger lug nuts, fits perfect.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I feel that I should offer a small defense for AIM.

I have the 1.25" spacers , and yes they have the larger 1/2" studs. I think the quality is very good, fit and finish also.

The difference in stud size was not a real concern to me and I was aware that they would be different. I did order the spacers that were listed (no special order) It did take maybe a week or two longer than most places, but I was under the impression they do not stock large quantities and manufacture them as ordered. Durability and performance were my main concerns.

There may be little or no difference in wheel stud strength, between the 12mm and 1/2". Each may exceed the requirements.

I do have concerns when I hear that people are having them loosen and distortion. I have not researched the alloys used, but There was an instance on ZR2.com where a set of Perf. Wheel spacers had a problem. A bulge was evident adjacent to the lugnut recess'. Overtightened, or softer alloy?

Several people have had spacers loosen up. Were those all Perf. Wheel spacers?

I guess I am satisfied with my one purchase from AIM , though I would probably NOT consider their sus. lift.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

dhawke wrote:I got the 1.5" spacers from AIM. I think they were right at $115 with shipping.

From what the guy at AIM told me, you should be able to order spacers with 12mm studs. You just have to tell them when you order them.

Hobie, you might want to update your page with this info.
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

24digger wrote:just take your plastic cap and push them over those bigger lug nuts, fits perfect.

I'll second that! I havent lost one yet :D

And don't forget to throw in a lug wrench that is the correct size (just in case)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

HenryJ wrote:I do have concerns when I hear that people are having them loosen and distortion. I have not researched the alloys used, but There was an instance on ZR2.com where a set of Perf. Wheel spacers had a problem. A bulge was evident adjacent to the lugnut recess'. Overtightened, or softer alloy?

Several people have had spacers loosen up. Were those all Perf. Wheel spacers?

PW advertises that they use 6061 T6 billet aluminum. I don't know what AIM uses. I do know that 6061 with a T6 temper is strong. If I recall correctly, it is the alloy used to make the AR-15/M-16 rifle receivers.

Mine are very finely machined. PW makes each to order as well. They say it takes 5 days to cut/assemble them. If you order wrong, you are stuck with them. But they did seem to want to make darn sure they would be right when I spoke to them and placed my order.

As far as loosening, what about using Locktite (removable) when putting them on? Anybody done this? They really only need to come off when doing brake rotors or axle work.
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Well, my first order got messed up cause I just ordered over the internet and did not specify in the "notes" section. My second order came out perfect on the "phone in" order. That way you can specify thread size.

And I've roughed mine up good and never had any problems. I don't use locktite. I do tighten them to at minumum, 80 ft/lbs. I know some rumer going around that someone's fell off, I can't imagine mine doing that.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

quickbiker wrote:Well, my first order got messed up cause I just ordered over the internet and did not specify in the "notes" section. My second order came out perfect on the "phone in" order. That way you can specify thread size.

And I've roughed mine up good and never had any problems. I don't use locktite. I do tighten them to at minumum, 80 ft/lbs. I know some rumer going around that someone's fell off, I can't imagine mine doing that.

That was me. :( I forget what brand I had but it was from the group buy. The spacer is def. strong, but the stud is just a stud which one of mine broke. I think the group buy said the studs were GM, but since they were easy to break loose, I think they were not GM studs, but close. I had less than 500 light milles on my truck when it broke so def. recheck every fill up for the first few hundred miles just to be safe. The group buy ones did have the correct stuff so the factory lug covers did fit though. I'm not planning on running spacers anymore but just to go with a more off-set wheel. If your running stock wheels, the spacers def. make it look better.

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

quickbiker wrote:I'm married too, but no harm in looking. haha

Really? Call me a loser or whatever, but I tend to lean in the direction of thought that says I have all I want need at home.
-Jim
Jim

Post by Jim »

dhawke wrote:Oh sure!! Now you tell me!!! :lol:

But seriously folks...in every thread that I have read about spacers...and there are MANY...no one ever brought up stud size.

Just be careful out there.......

You guys should have looked way back to Dec. 2002 my second post on this topic:

http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=223
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

Must have missed that one dang it!

But the whole thing begs the question...Why do we need them in the first place!?!?! :x

I mean, come on!! How freakin' stupid is it to have the rear wheels closer together than the front!!??!! It's pretty freakin' stupid!! What it the point!!!!!!! If I ever find the GM engineer that okayed this, I'm gonna' poke him right in the eye!! And then I'm gonna'......well...it ain't gonna' be pretty!!

Okay...ranting is over...I feel much better now............
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

It's STILL freakin' stupid though!!

Okay...really done now........
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

dhawke wrote:It's STILL freakin' stupid though!!

Okay...really done now........

you will apprecaite it when you are driving thru a mud road and you really need all the traction you can get
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

NTXCrew wrote:

Really? Call me a loser or whatever, but I tend to lean in the direction of thought that says I have all I want need at home.

LOL, yea, I sure do have all I need at home. And I bet you are right. You never look! Right. Never, never, never. If that cleavage is just hang'n in your face, you look the other way. LOL.

Yea, I've heard it all. :lol:
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

So, you're telling me that the rear wheels are closer together because it gives you more traction?
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

quickbiker wrote:
NTXCrew wrote:

LOL, yea, I sure do have all I need at home. And I bet you are right. You never look! Right. Never, never, never. If that cleavage is just hang'n in your face, you look the other way. LOL.

Yea, I've heard it all. :lol:

Then that all depends on what situations you place yourself in....and what's wrong with looking the other way?
-Jim
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

What ever floats your boat!
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

quickbiker wrote:What ever floats your boat!

1.5 years strong...and proud of it...that's got to be infinity in Hollywood... :D
-Jim
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Over 2 years now here and we are getting like wine, get's better all the time! :D