Can you say 4.10?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Can you say 4.10?

Post by a2b »

okay since i dont have a truck payment this month, i decided to celebrate by re-gearing. i have stock 3.42's which suck suck suck. i have had no power and it cant go up a hill ever. 31's are just too much for it. glad i didnt get 10ply tires.

so i dropped off the truck today to get 4.10's....that should work great with 31's....the rubicon comes with 31's and 4.10's stock.....if i would of had 3.73, i wouldnt have done it, but 3.42's is a big difference.

so now, the tranny wont have a cow when i tow other vehicles....and i absoultely hate it when i have 4 people in the truck and i am strugglin to go 65 up a hill. so i hope this fixes all those problems..

and while they are at it, my yoke will be fixed so now i am back in action! :D

i had planned on 33's and 4.56's but i am just not going that way with this truck. i might still do the TM, but just for looks. and even then i will run 32's. and the 4.10's are fine with 32's......

my wife told me this morning she wants me to buy a jeep cuz she thinks she would look cool in it :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Very cool. I went from 29" tires to 31" on my trooper and it's feeling the extra height as well. It does seem to be in the wrong gear and def. not as peppy. I already have 4.30 gears already and I kick myself for not keeping the 4.77 from my old trooper. :x A buddy of mine with 33s on his trooper dropped in 4.77 and he said it's great. You'll love your gears!

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'm Jealous ... of the gears. 4.10 should be ideal !

Make sure that you have the crew where you want it before you get another rig , or those things you plan to do will never get done ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

HenryJ wrote:I'm Jealous ... of the gears. 4.10 should be ideal !

Make sure that you have the crew where you want it before you get another rig , or those things you plan to do will never get done ;)

ya i know. i have a list of about things i want to do in the next month that i want to get done. but those gears are needed if i am going to ever be pulling my next project...know what i mean :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

Cant go wrong with the 4.10 rear. You'll be much happier.
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Cool...those should help.

I'm definitely going with some gears in the future. Hopefully around the time my 30" tires wear out, I'll be ready for gears, a real lift and some 33's. :thumb:
Last edited by AZS10Crew on Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Doc

3.42 gears suck

Post by Doc »

Great, I just looked and I have 3.42 gearing in the rear, I figured that if it came with a trailer hitch that I would have had 3.73s but Noooooooo!

SOB How much are new gears? I plan on towing my bikes and/or a boat when I get one......
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

31's and 3.42 gears? Could be a lot worse. Try 33's and 3.08 gears. That's what I had on my Jeep Wrangler I had. 5th gear was worthless. 4th wasn't far from it either. I traded it before I ever had a chance to upgrade the gears.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

GaryH wrote:31's and 3.42 gears? Could be a lot worse. Try 33's and 3.08 gears. That's what I had on my Jeep Wrangler I had. 5th gear was worthless. 4th wasn't far from it either. I traded it before I ever had a chance to upgrade the gears.

yikes :shock:

doc,

it will run ya about a grand. and you sill save money the sooner you do it so they dont have to re do your bearings. they said they would check mine. with

50k miles, they said they might be bad, but might not as well....

whooo hooo, i am so excited. i cant wait to drive it and see if i can spin the tires....i have never been able to do that
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Doc

31's?

Post by Doc »

Who said anything about 31's. :) I still have my stock rims and tires. :(

Do you think I will have much of a problem towing a boat or a couple bikes?
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: 31's?

Post by a2b »

Doc wrote:Who said anything about 31's. :) I still have my stock rims and tires. :(

Do you think I will have much of a problem towing a boat or a couple bikes?

nope...28's or 29's is fine with 3.42......i would defintely put a posi in the rear....you will appreciate it when you are pulling that boat up out of the water on a wet steep boat ramp.....and if you go thru mud with that bike, it would be nice to just stay in 2wd....but i guess thats what 4wd is for...
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

WHOOO HOOOO....they just called and said my truck is ready. i am going to go pick it up!!!!
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

okay just got back and i had a flat :twisted:

first off...i havent really punced it yet, but it makes a big difference....the biggest difference i can tell so far is in 2nd and 3rd. 1st seems to be the same. but it doesnt take nearly as much gas pedal to go 45mph

and then i got on the free way ramp and gas it...at first, no difference....then i look down and i notice i am going 75mph like its nothing!!!

its goes faster so much quicker now....and with less gas pedal.

but i talked to the mechanic that did the swap and he cussed me for bringing in this truck. he said its one of the hardest front ends to work on. he said that the full size was no big deal...but on this truck, basically, he had to drop the whole front end, a-arms, t-bars, half shafts, shocks. the acutator, so he had to take out the battery.

he hates the s-10, so if you plan on doing this, expect to pay high labor costs. i paid 900 for it and i am told thats pretty cheap.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Bummer on the flat, but you did get a good price if that included the price of parts :thumb:

You should be back to the stock final ratio those of us who got the 3.73 ratio had with 29" tires. The best overall ratio , IMO.

P.S. Your speedometer is still a bit off since you had the 3.42 gears, but if you would have had the 3.73's you'd be pretty close now :D

At least it shouldn't be as far off now, as it was.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

The front ends are a huge PITA to work on and you do have to drop the whole front end to get at the diff to swap gears. $900 is a really good price for front and rear.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yes, 900 bucks with parts

well, i have tested it and it did exactly what i wanted it too

on the way home from work,there is a big hill on the freeway thats like 6 degrees,

i ususally have to shift down to 3rd and go 55mph in the slow lane all the way up the hill

well tonight, i went right up the hill in traffic and not only did i not have to shift to 3rd, it didnt even down shift to 4th. it stayed in overdrive the whole time and climbed the hill

its funny. i forgot that my speedometer was off and i was like man, i am flying....hahaha. it seems my speedo has to be off almost 10mph.

i am curious. so those of you that have 3.73 with 31's....what is your rpm at 70mph?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
QnsRyche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by QnsRyche »

heheh thats nothing ... i had an 87 2.8fi w/ 3:08 gears and 30" bfg's .. could not used od anymore..
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Nice! I need new gears now. How much do you think it will be to have 4.88 put in my truck?
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

warnoffroad wrote:Nice! I need new gears now. How much do you think it will be to have 4.88 put in my truck?

its like around 400 per axel with parts and install charge. depends on where you go
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

I still have the stock 29's with the 3.42. IMO, it is the most useless gear ratio created for an engine under 250 HP. And I've noticed that this truck DOGS through 2nd and 3rd gear. I've gotten used to being that PITA pick-up truck that never seems to get-up and go from the stop-light.

$900... not bad, I was expecting more around $1500 after climbing under the front end to have a look. Could they have burried that front differential any further?
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

a2b wrote:yes, 900 bucks with parts

well, i have tested it and it did exactly what i wanted it too

on the way home from work,there is a big hill on the freeway thats like 6 degrees,

i ususally have to shift down to 3rd and go 55mph in the slow lane all the way up the hill

well tonight, i went right up the hill in traffic and not only did i not have to shift to 3rd, it didnt even down shift to 4th. it stayed in overdrive the whole time and climbed the hill

its funny. i forgot that my speedometer was off and i was like man, i am flying....hahaha. it seems my speedo has to be off almost 10mph.

i am curious. so those of you that have 3.73 with 31's....what is your rpm at 70mph?

I think I do about 2.2k rpm's at 70. I'll check the next time I drive my truck. I've been having too much fun riding the Harley now that our 3 months of solid rain is over and we are finally having our summer. :D

You'll need to get the Hypertech to reprogram the speed for the gear change! Good excuse to get it though, eh?
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya, i need that hypertech now...will get it next month.

today when i came home, i had to go up the hill, i turned on the a/c just for fun and still didnt down shift :D

and then for the first time ever since i have had the truck, i did a burn out in front of my house about 10 minutes ago :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

the guy who worked on my truck was nice and joked with me about the truck.

i asked him if there were any bolts i needed to re-torque later down the road...(i was there in the garage for the last 30mintues of the install),

and he told me, "nope, just wreck it and buy a ford" :lol:

i guess he's a ford fan, but his point was the fact gm is stupid :(
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\