Best 2-3" lift?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

lj02cceb

Best 2-3" lift?

Post by lj02cceb »

What would be the cheapest and easiest way to get a 2-3" lift? Im gonna bee keeping normal size tires and everything i just wont it to be alittle higher? I was thinking about shakles for the back and just torsion bar crank for front but didnt know if that would bring the front up high enough. So how many inches higher can the torsion bars make the truck?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

T-bars will go an inch maybe. This depends on how they are currently adjusted.

Your only real choice is a 2" body lift.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
lj02cceb

Post by lj02cceb »

But is a 2" body lift really worth it? or should i just get torsion bars cranked and shackles and just settle for a 1" lift instead?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You decide. If you plan to use larger than stock or optional offroad tires, it may be needed.
Plenty to read about on the subject.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

If your going soley for looks, a body lift would do just fine.

Of course you know, your not gaining any ground clearance. Except maybe from the stock step bars if you have a ZR5. Mine hung down below the frame a little.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Body lift is for more than just looks.
You only have as much ground clearance as the lowest point. That is the rear diff cover. The only way to gain ground clearance is larger tires.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Agreed, but Im thinking he wants it just for looks becuase he said he wants to keep the same size tires and such. If thats the case. Id do that before messing with the TBs or rear shackles/leafs/etc.

Without getting OT, i thought the lowest point would be your break over point? I know the diff Is the lowest point, but with my thinking, if you more then likely can role over it right. it will "go up" with the tires? see what im saying? lol. I guess its more of a how you drive it thing. But I do understand what your saying.
s10 again
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by s10 again »

I would guess it depends on things like.

If and how you off road your truck.
How high you want to lift your truck.
How much you want to spend.

There are pros and cons to everything.

If keeping stock tires a body lift makes your truck look taller but you might want to look at some of the BL trucks that have stock tires. To me there is a little to much gap between the tire and fender for my taste. A BL will do nothing for off road ability without taller tires.

A suspension lift (including a TB crank and shackles) will as fallvitals touched on increase break over angle and frame clearance even without larger tires. Also if your TBs have sagged over time as many have a crank will also help with bottoming out. But the cons are you will need to get an alignment asap after the crank. If you crank more than the stock setting you will be changing the suspension geometry and CV angles. Not really big deal as long as you don't over crank the TBs.

For me I'm looking at going up to a 30" tire and I'm going to try to crank the TBs to hopefully gain clearance needed. If not I will do a BL. But even if everything clears I might still do a BL just because these trucks sit a little low for me.

So take some time to think out the route you want to take and what will benefit you the most.

Chris.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

s10 again wrote:...even if everything clears I might still do a BL just because these trucks sit a little low for me.

So take some time to think out the route you want to take and what will benefit you the most.
The body lift offers several advantages beyond clearance for tires , on these trucks. Most of those are the additional clearances between the body and drivetrain. Improved airflow in the engine compartment, access to the transmission servos, clearance above the fuel tank to eliminate that pesky evap line rub, I could go on and on. Seems like every time I turn around I find something else that was made easier with that extra couple inches.
Don't forget that the approach and declination angles are improved and the rockers moved up. Those do help the wheeling. The breakover is the only thing not moved upward.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
s10 again
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by s10 again »

I can see where a BL would offer all the advantages you list and maybe a few more. But off-road with stock or near stock tires I still think a TB crank and shackles or AAL is the best bang for the buck. I think (don't know because I have yet to do a BL on a S-10) you will improve approach angle a bit but still the frame becomes a limiting factor. Departure angel however I can see you would gain quit a bit more. But a suspension lift will also improve these angels as well.

I did do some trans work on a gen 1 blazer and wish it would have had a BL!!!! :lol:

I think OP should look at his truck's suspension it may have sagged badly. Mine has sagged 3/4" to 1" from looking at other stock trucks. If lj02cceb truck is sagged as bad as mine just getting up to stock may be all that is needed to be happy.

Chris.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Had to crank up my bars to level my truck too. Right side more than the left for some reason. Only returned the truck to stock heights it should've had anyway but was enough to regain stock tire clearances on the front while articulating.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.