BL install cost ???

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

builder26

BL install cost ???

Post by builder26 »

Just wondering if anyone might know about what the installation cost on getting a body lift ? I just don't have the time or the know how to do it myself .
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I really can't recall anyone paying to have one installed.
Figure about 8 hours at local shop rate. My guess would be about $600.
Start checking around and see what a local shop might charge. Ask at the local parts store if there is someone around. many times there will be a guy who knows a guy.

It really is not difficult. We would all be behind you and coach you through it. If you can find just one person who can read and hand you simple hand tools, you can do it in a weekend.
Even if you have to buy the tools to do the job, you will likely be money ahead to do it yourself. Think about it seriously.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:................................Even if you have to buy the tools to do the job, you will likely be money ahead to do it yourself. Think about it seriously.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

i paid 600 for the body lift and for some one to put it on
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

$600 overall?? Thats not bad in my mind. I would pay that. I have pretty much ruled out the body lift due to the amount of rust and corrosion on my rig I would not be able to do it, a shop would have a hard time but when they break parts I don't have to pay :lol:
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
builder26

Post by builder26 »

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I just made a call to a local truck shop and body lifts are not legal in Maine something to do with the ABS ?? But suspension lifts are . This state has some ass backwards laws!! Really makes no sense to me . Then he said to go with a 2" Rough Country lift . But then I mentioned what I had read here about the cv angle being to much . He then said that when installed properly that should not be a problem . This is the kicker , I know nothing about install prices and money is not an issue but $775 seems a little steep to me . That price is just for install not including kit . Anyone have any good ideas on what I should do next ???
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Do not install any 2" suspension lift. Do your research here and learn why.

A little more research - Lift laws
§10.5.14 Body lifts are permitted provided that they are manufactured by an after market
manufacturer, are designed for the make and model vehicle on which it is installed, and is
installed according to the manufacturer'’ recommendations.
Body lifts may not use more than a three inch spacer and may not raise the body more than
four inches above the frame when all components are installed
Source: Maine Inspection Manual.PDF
Find another shop. That one does not know what they are doing.

You can not add shackles so a spring lift for the rear is your only option. Adjusting the T-bars to the maximum Z height is allowed.
You are only allowed two tire sizes over stock , and I will assume that includes the optional offroad 235/75-15. That is just fine since 31" is the most you will fit anyway.

Read over that PDF file. This is the manual inspectors will use. I tells you what passes and what is rejected.

If time and money are not an issue, drive on over here and I'll help you install it.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:.............................If time and money are not an issue, drive on over here and I'll help you install it.
Or drive less than half way to Brule's house and we can do it. :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
builder26

Post by builder26 »

WOW thanks for that link . answered a few questions and made a few . In the section you were talking about it first states any vehicle with abs may not be modified at all . But down below it says shackles are not legal and body lifts no more than 3" are so I guess some more research meaning talking to better mechanics is in my near future . Maybe I'll just scrap the lift and just supercharge it . I will keep everyone updated on the lift laws so for now I'm looking sol untill I get some clear answers .
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The intent behind the ABS is to not alter or disable the system. The tire size is one items that may be seen to affect this system.

It does say:
§10.5.7 Vehicles equipped with an anti-lock brake system may not be altered.
Yet this shop you called said a 2" suspension lift was OK?

I think "altered" is the key word. I also think that "installed according to the manufacturer'’ recommendations. " does not constitute "altered".

You do have more research to do. It is not yet black and white. I could be completely wrong. Worth looking into and don't take "their" word for it as the right answer. Dig, dig, dig.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

No offense to any mechanics on here, but I'd doubt that some guy turning wrenches all day would be an expert on state-wide vehicle modification laws. If you're subject to vehicle inspections, contact your local DOT office and ask to speak to someone regarding vehicle inspections and modifications.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:thumb: Excellent advice!

I consider that last post to include me as well. I am by no means an "expert"

Expert= former (ex) , drip under pressure (spurt)

- ThunderII KE7CSK