Pirelli tires

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Pirelli tires

Post by turkeestalker »

Anyone have an opinion on Pirelli Scorpion ATR's?
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I don't personally, but I bet some of these people have good reviews.
Tire Rack Survey
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

That is where I would buy them from. I can get 5 of them shipped directly to a local installer and mounted with a road hazard, for less than I can buy 4 from Dobbs, and about the same as 4 Michelins. Just need a go-ahead nudge to convince me.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Personally I went with the Firestone Destination A/Ts and love them. I wanted a little more rugged look than the Pirelli ATRs could offer and snow traction was a major part of the decision. I bet you'd be happy with the Pirellis though, and prices seem reasonable. I don't like the looks of any of the other highly rated tires till you get to the Dueler Revos and those are really overpriced considering they're comparable to the Destinations. I'd say the top two on my list were the top two on the Tire Rack Survey.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have seen the Pirelli first hand an was not impressed. They follow the trend to a straight tread to promote better life and quieter performance.
They had an older tire with asymmetrical tread design. Much like a tamer version of the Yoko Geolandar AT+II. Those looked good.

I think at this point, I would spend another $40 for a set of the BFG ATKO

Look at the reported miles in that survey. Revo and BFG are the most popular. The Revos are terrible in the greasy stuff and the BFG got the snowflake. That would sway me.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

I'll agree that the tread is not nearly as aggressive looking as some others out there. It is the true 30" size that attracts me in a 255/75/15, along with the more rounded edge. You see, my PA 2"BL came FedEx today. I'm doing some electrical work for family this weekend, and have my boys next weekend, so it will be awhile before I can get it on. However, with 48k miles on the original Wranglers, I need to get moving and get some tires with more fortitude than bologna skins. I already swapped my 1.5 inch spacers from rear to front, and installed the 2.5" ones that I ordered in preparation for the lift, in the rear. I am anxious to see if the 1.5s will work or I will need to get 1" to replace them. It kills me to have to wait to dig in on this, so I'm scheming and planning my next move.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It really is a tough road now. Many of the tires have gone the way of the less aggressive tread design.
The Pirellis have a good reputation, and purchased at the right place they may be a bargain. The "silica compound" intrigues.

I am finding that the BFG is wearing really well. and performance is good. They do have a sharp shoulder though.

Hankook has some interesting offerings, but it looks like their designs are being phased out as well.

I am still soured on Cooper - Dean cases since the porous bead fiasco.

I don't have a good answer right now. I think I would "hands on" some tires at Costco and Sears to see what looks good.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I agree the Pirellis don't look as aggressive but it depends on what you're looking for in offroad performance as well. One of my friends has BFGs and I really wasn't that impressed. They are a decent tire but there are much better designs out there. They are just popular for looks, price and versatility seeing as they are everywhere. They haven't been redesigned for a while so in my opinion there are some better designs. Head to head my tires have better traction than the BFGs my friend has, even the same size oddly enough.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The fact that the BFG has not been redesigned in a long time is a plus in my book.
Too many tires change too quickly. What happens when you want a second set, or need a replacement tire? Discontinued, no longer available.
I run this gamut in the fleet all the time. Everytime I find something that works , either it is on backorder or no longer available.
A tire that has found a tread design and sticks with it is a big advantage in my book.
The BFG is not really all that aggressive looking. The revision to the KO a couple years ago did add some bite to the sidewall. The tread design is a good one for my area. The "crooked peanut" interlocking tread is one that just works for desert terrain. Armstrong used to make the "Desert Dog" tires. They were very similar. Seems like there was one other that used the same style tread, but I don't recall right now what it is or was. Tire size can make a huge difference too. I can not say that I would own the BFG ATKO in the 235/75-15. The tread is pretty close together. In the 33x9.50 they are great though.
It is right that no one tire is going to be THE one for everyone. If you do very little offroading, you don't need offroad tires. Look to the design that fits your terrain. Mud tires need to clean and have wide spaces between. Snow tires need to trap snow and hold it for traction, as well as siping to aid on the ice. Gravel tires need similar qualities in that they need to trap the gravel, but the siping is a liability and leads to chunking. Highway tires need straight continuous blocks of tread set close together for mileage and stability. The all terrain tires take some of the qualities of each and usually don't do any one exceptionally. Look for the qualities that tip the scale to your terrain the best. Maybe an AT that is more of a highway tire and less of an offroad tire, does fit exactly what you need.

Tires are one of those things that may be more of a personal thing. What do you like?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I like my MasterCraft Courser A/T's (Cooper) 30K on them with no issue. I must admit one of the reasons I bought them was I liked the look of the tread pattern.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

I'm getting these when they go on sale in two weeks at a buying club around here called BJ's. Super for my on pavement driving. I haven't been able to wear out my current long trails but they are dry rotting.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... T%2FA+Tour
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

The fact that a design hangs on for a long time I think is testament to it's value.

Dropped the truck off after work today at the tire store. Going with the Michelins, don't think I'll regret it based on past experiences with them.
Thank you guys for your input, I'v e a feeling I would have regreted going with the Pirelis in the end when I needed to replace one some day and they were no longer in production, as they are being phased out. Been in that spot once, don't want to go back.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Michelins are a good tire but I'll stick with my BFG TKO's. 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Really it is up to each individual on what he thinks is best. I may be wrong but, Michelins was one of the first Radials to hit our market. I was in college and an installer at a Sears Auto Center and they were the rave then compared to bias tires. I loved them on several vehicles until I got a set that came stock on an 80's Dodge Ramcharger G-ride. I couldn't wait to get ride of them due to wet weather performance. Hmmmmm, that was almost 30 yrs ago. Maybe they have improved since then. :?:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Tire store phoned me mid-day to let me know that there may be an issue with the tires I selected. His suggestion was the TKOs. Picking it up in just a few minutes. I know that I will like the look of them on the truck, just hope I will be happy in the long run with noise and wear. A few of you guys should be proud huh?
Thanks again for your input.
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Scratch that. They certainly do look tuff, really meaty and agressive. Unfortunately IMO they ride that way as well. Doesn't seem to matter if I am doing 20 mph through the boys subdivision, or if I am doing 70 mph on the highway, they sing a constant dull drone. To some degree truck tires should in fact 'sound' like truck tires, but considering that noise tends to increase with age and wear, I don't think I will be satisfied as time goes on. I swear that I can feel the tread as they roll as well. I've no doubt that they would out perform many competitors offereings in certain situations, but those are not situations that I feel that I will often find myself in. I am going to take advantage of the BFG 30 day ride gaurantee I think, but I will run them for at least a few more days to be certain. As it's been said, tires are a matter of preference I believe.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

All tires need to scrub in. I would not bet on these getting that far in 30 days unless you drive hard.

Have you changed shocks?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

I am running the Rancho RSX that I installed a few months back, which I am very pleased with. I don't feel that they are affecting my take on these tires, but I'll never deny being wrong on occassion.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Just checking to see if your ride issues were shock related. The BFG does have a stiffer sidewall. Tire pressure may play a part.
You sound like a strictly highway tire may be more to your liking.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Tire store swapped them out yesterday. I went with the Wranglers, which I thought I'd never do. I am more than pleased with the ride comfort and noise level, just have to wait and see about the longetivity. In theory, Goodyear has resolved the issues with the kevlar layer separating from the steel in thier Silent Armor tires, hope they're right. Michelin need to make more size options in the tires that they offer IMO, then there would've been no issues from the start.
Thanks again guys
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Get a copy of the print out this time.

- ThunderII KE7CSK