Yet another Shock Question.

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Yet another Shock Question.

Post by bradjh »

ok i bought by cc last year and it was always sagging in the rear end so i finally put new shocks on i got monroe sensatrac, but i am begining to feel that they are not much better than my factory ones are. it still rides low in the rear and when i step on my bumper you can feel the whole ass end go down! i weight 200lbs but will it go down with ranchos or bilsteins? I tow a trailer and it gos down when i put that on too. My buddy has a silverado and we tried to get his ass end to go down but it wouldnt budge.. Will bilstein or rancho shocks stiff enough to keep my truck from going down when i step on the reat bumper? i also would like a nice riding shock... Brad
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Shocks are not designed to lift the vehicle. Air shocks and "Load levelers" do have some spring assist (air , coil) , but on a whole, the majority are designed to smooth the suspension action and absorb shock loads.

If you are looking to reduce sag you are going to have to look into making changes to the suspension. Springs, shackles, helper springs , etc.

While you may get a slight lift from the pressure charge in a shock, it is there as a function of the shock. Do not expect any lift or increase in load capacity from Bilstein, Rancho, or any shock absorber.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

I am not expecting to get a lift out of a shock sorry if that is how it cam across. I simply want to know if i put rancho or bilsteins on will my ass end still go down when i step on the bumper?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

bradjh wrote:I simply want to know if i put rancho or bilsteins on will my ass end still go down when i step on the bumper?
Yes.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Get some air shocks... I have those on my back shocks and I can adjust the height of my truck plus it firms it up so it doesn't sag or go down when you put a load in it. So if you were to step on it, it wouldn't sink down nearly as far as regular shocks. Plus, if you're going to be towing a trailer, they would help out there too.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:
bradjh wrote:......will my ass end still go down when i step on the bumper?
Yes.
And to think that I refrained from giving that answer :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

HenryJ wrote:If you are looking to reduce sag you are going to have to look into making changes to the suspension. Springs, shackles, helper springs , etc.
+1
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

f9k9 wrote:
HenryJ wrote:
bradjh wrote:......will my ass end still go down when i step on the bumper?
Yes.
And to think that I refrained from giving that answer :wink:
F9k9 you're slipping!
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

barch97 wrote:
HenryJ wrote:If you are looking to reduce sag you are going to have to look into making changes to the suspension. Springs, shackles, helper springs , etc.
+1
+2
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...