Rim and tire recommendation

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Rim and tire recommendation

Post by Conman »

Hey guys,

With the goofy stance in the rear, I'm thinking about putting new wheels on the truck. I was wondering if you had a choice, what would you do?

Since I'm staying stock(maybe a 1" t-bar crank in front but that's it), probably the biggest tire I would go is 30". Since I'm going with such a small tire, Probably no larger than a 17" rim.

So what tire and rim combo would you choose? I probably would like to go with an AT tire and atleast a 8" wide rim. What offset, etc. too.

Fire away! Thanks.

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A little more inf. please...

What types of terrain do you plan on using it in?

Swamps/mud, dunes/desert, climbing, dirt and soil type, rocks and size of aggregate.

Do you plan on doing any heavy towing or hauling?

What driving do you do mostly and average mileage per day? Per year?

What "look" are you going for?

Agressive, subtle, offroad, street performance.

What is acceptable for tire noise?

Are you wanting cornering abilities, or is straight line performance more important ?

Are ride characteristics a concern?

What about warranty and service? Can you do your own repairs, mount/balance?

Price range?

You didn't know there were so many things to think about, right? :evil:
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

my only concern for you is that you dont rub. so i would stay with a 7" rim and dont go anything less than 5.5" of bs with at 9.5" wide tire
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Good points! ;) With the problems with lifting, I'm probably keeping this stock so it won't be getting much offroading compared to my Trooper. I just want them to stick out alittle so I do want some more offset. As for use, since I'm not going to do much off-roading, the AT would just keep the look of a off-roader. This is my daily driver which I don't drive far. Def. a HT type tire would be better for my daily driver but I do want the look of the AT type tire. To answer some of Henry's questions, I would either order from a tirerack type place or my local shop. I would like to get it more aggressive looking but understand the limitation of such a small tire. I do tow but we are talking about a few Dirt Bikes and every once in a while a open trailer to tow ATVs so light load but I do want to get a tire that can take a full trailer load so no passenger tires then. As for noise, I had BFG Muds so I know what noisy is so that's not a factor on tire choice.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Bridgestone Dueler REVO ATs as I'm very happy with the performance of them on my Trooper. But I'm still open to options(except for BFGs). But the size of the tire and the wheel choice is still open. I don't have a budget set but probably I would like to keep it under $2k total for rims and tires. I do like the big rim look(but not 22" big that is) but trying to keep with an off-road theme and AT tires limit that to 17" rims and under.

Let me know if you guys want more answers. :)

Thanks.

Con
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

OK, these answers will be a bit general, but here goes-

I'd stay with 15" or 16" dia. x 7" or 8" wide rims and as close to the stock rear spacing (6") as possible. Why?

Well, there is a bigger selection of tires available for those sizes. Ten years ago there was a very limited selection of tires for the 16", so maybe things will change for the 17" eventually.

Ever try to find a 10 ply 17" tire?

As for the rearspacing- going out one inch with the 8" rims (6" rearspacing) would allow enough clearance, or 5" rearspacing and the 7" rim, should be OK, (using no more than a 30" tire)

Personally, I like the taller side wall of the 15" for "airing" down in the desert and a softer ride.

But the larger wheels do look more in proportion for the vehicle.

It will be interesting to see some of the other opinions :D

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i like the good year mt/r's. they last for ever and have a really nice aggressive sidewall. i would choose them and get whatever rim they come for
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I'm a BFG loyalist. I've used them for years and they have never let me down. But everyone has their favorite. Just gotta find yours.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

I have got 17s. The smallest AT I could find was 265/65/17. They are not real popular so they are expensive. I chose 265/70/17s on 17x9 trans am wheels. My Mastercraft courser ATs are 31.4 inches. I have a 2 inch BL an more than an inch of t bar crank. SLP Eng. has 16x8 firebird take of wheels for like 200 bucks for all four. Someone here has a black Chevy with them and Revos. Mickey Thompson makes a 17 AT in bias that is 30 inches tall. They might fit with a t bar crank. Check some of my previous post for more info.

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

quickbiker wrote:I'm a BFG loyalist. I've used them for years and they have never let me down. But everyone has their favorite. Just gotta find yours.

I think they are great tires. Here is a pic of my old 89 Trooper Shorty with 32x11.5x15 on 15x7 zero offset rims:

http://www.isuzu-suvs.com/events/pb02-1 ... C00685.htm

Too bad they were too big for the Crew and 6lug. :(

IMHO, they are not worth the premium over other tires. The REVO are not cheap but still cheaper then BFGs. Plus everyone has them and I want to be different. :)

Cheers,

Con
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have a friend here that just installed a set of 33" REVOs on his full size chevy crew.

Only had them on two days and is raving about them. Much quieter!, wonderful! , best tire out there!, blah, blah ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

HenryJ wrote:I have a friend here that just installed a set of 33" REVOs on his full size chevy crew.

Only had them on two days and is raving about them. Much quieter!, wonderful! , best tire out there!, blah, blah ;)

The noisier it is, the better traction ya get! :lol:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

HenryJ wrote:OK, these answers will be a bit general, but here goes-

I'd stay with 15" or 16" dia. x 7" or 8" wide rims and as close to the stock rear spacing (6") as possible. Why?

Well, there is a bigger selection of tires available for those sizes. Ten years ago there was a very limited selection of tires for the 16", so maybe things will change for the 17" eventually.

Ever try to find a 10 ply 17" tire?

As for the rearspacing- going out one inch with the 8" rims (6" rearspacing) would allow enough clearance, or 5" rearspacing and the 7" rim, should be OK, (using no more than a 30" tire)

Personally, I like the taller side wall of the 15" for "airing" down in the desert and a softer ride.

But the larger wheels do look more in proportion for the vehicle.

It will be interesting to see some of the other opinions :D

I like the idea of the 8" rim and stock backspacing as this will look more aggessive and hopefully still fit nicely. Since I won't be doing hard off-roading, I don't think I need to worry about rubbing as much as hobie! If I did 15" rims, I would probably go with 265/70-15 as I think this is about 30" and about 10" wide I think. If I did 16" rims, probably 255/70-16 but this might not look as aggressive than the 15s cause it's not as wide; but this might rub less though.

As for wheels, something like this:

I like the deep dish look(one reason for the 8" rims over 7") but something open more though in the middle.

I would love something like this:

http://www.vehicross.net/pics_of_my_vehicross.htm

but with a deeper dish and AT tires. Those are 18s and to get AT type tires it's 31" tall already. :( Maybe I should break down and do the shackles and body lift to fit 31s......... :?: Nitto does make 18" AT tires at 31"........ :wink:

Con
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yep, for an extra 200 bucks, you could raise your truck 3" with a bl and shackles and then put 31's on and you have your truck raised 4". it will look way beter and you will be glad you did it!
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

a2b wrote:yep, for an extra 200 bucks, you could raise your truck 3" with a bl and shackles and then put 31's on and you have your truck raised 4". it will look way beter and you will be glad you did it!

If you need some "ammo" to convince the "boss"- advantages after a bodylift:

There is better access to the spark plugs, for servicing.

Same goes for the distributor.

More clearance for the exhaust system.

Does not raise the center of gravity as much as a suspension lift.

Does not alter the ride.

Adds some clearance at the rear of the engine to allow air to pass more freely (helps engine cooling?)

That last one may be BS, there are plenty more I could add ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jason
Regular
Regular

Post by Jason »

I like my Revo's and 16x8 Firebird wheels.

Picture

Made the looong addy a link-HJ
[size=75]'02 Onyx Black, 2" PA BL, 31" Dualers, 16x8 Firebird wheels, Rollpan, Clear Tails, Clear Corners, Hinged Tonneau, Smoked 3rd Brake Light, B+M Shift Plus, Air Intake, De-badged[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Went out to pick up a pizza & I saw a Red 2001 Ram Air Camaro sitting next to the place...I did a double take & had to drive up next to it to see the size they were 16x8"

These wheels look much better in real life the polished rim is deep but it retains the offset with the curved spokes.

ROH Wheels

ZS STYLE

This tough looking 5 spoke wheel with its machined outer lip and contoured spokes is a proven great looking wheel on any car. A brilliant wheel with huge brake calliper clearance, ZS is a winner on exotic cars like Porsche. Available in sizes ranging from 15x7" up to 17x8.5" & 17x9.5" (Porsche staggered sets) ZS is a wheel in a class of its own. Fit one of the best, fit ROH ZS wheels and Get Noticed.

:D I WANT THESE :D
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Jim wrote:Went out to pick up a pizza & I saw a Red 2001 Ram Air Camaro sitting next to the place...I did a double take & had to drive up next to it to see the size they were 16x8"

These wheels look much better in real life the polished rim is deep but it retains the offset with the curved spokes.

ROH Wheels

ZS STYLE

This tough looking 5 spoke wheel with its machined outer lip and contoured spokes is a proven great looking wheel on any car. A brilliant wheel with huge brake calliper clearance, ZS is a winner on exotic cars like Porsche. Available in sizes ranging from 15x7" up to 17x8.5" & 17x9.5" (Porsche staggered sets) ZS is a wheel in a class of its own. Fit one of the best, fit ROH ZS wheels and Get Noticed.

:D I WANT THESE :D

Nice! I like these ROH wheels also:

Image SN model I think they are called. ROH wheels are not too bad at $155-160 each.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

HenryJ wrote:
a2b wrote:yep, for an extra 200 bucks, you could raise your truck 3" with a bl and shackles and then put 31's on and you have your truck raised 4". it will look way beter and you will be glad you did it!

If you need some "ammo" to convince the "boss"- advantages after a bodylift:

There is better access to the spark plugs, for servicing.

Same goes for the distributor.

More clearance for the exhaust system.

Does not raise the center of gravity as much as a suspension lift.

Does not alter the ride.

Adds some clearance at the rear of the engine to allow air to pass more freely (helps engine cooling?)

That last one may be BS, there are plenty more I could add ;)

I have no problems with the boss, but as I stated a while ago, I was not a fan of BL since they did not add any suspension function. But my tune is changing since the worries about lifts with the S-Series and hobie's and Henry's very good performance off-roading with a BL and "stock" suspension. Plus the other ZR5 owner with a lift and I did like that the nerf bars did hang lower cause they sit so close to the body now that it's almost useless to use anyway. If I did do the BL and t-bar crank, I would probably go up to a short 31" tire. 18" wheels are still out of the question as it appears the 31" tires are almost 32". I do like those ROH wheels and if I get the 16x8, I would probably go with a 265/70-16 which is measured at 30.6" on a 16x8" rim. This is the same size that's on my Trooper now but I only have 7" wide rims on that.

Thanks for the input guys. Keep those wheel choices coming. Thanks.

Con
Jim

Post by Jim »

Nice! I like these ROH wheels also:

Image SN model I think they are called. ROH wheels are not too bad at $155-160 each.[/quote]

Nice but my opinion is they may look to fragile or dainty on a truck :shock: Even my ZR-1 style wheels look that way at certain angles.

Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Man, I had some Vette wheels for sell a few months ago. They woulda been perfect for an S-10. I could hardly give them away.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Jim wrote:Nice! I like these ROH wheels also:

Image SN model I think they are called. ROH wheels are not too bad at $155-160 each.

Nice but my opinion is they may look to fragile or dainty on a truck :shock: Even my ZR-1 style wheels look that way at certain angles.

Image[/quote]

I like the open air look. Just wondering if those are "truck" rated. Thanks for all the Input guys!

Cheers,

Con
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

quickbiker wrote:Man, I had some Vette wheels for sell a few months ago. They woulda been perfect for an S-10. I could hardly give them away.

Vette rims would look nice on a lowered s10.

Question, would those extreme rims work well with towing? Those are 16x8 and don't look to bad. Any place for knock-offs?

Thanks,

Con
Jim

Post by Jim »

Conman wrote:
Jim wrote:Nice! I like these ROH wheels also:

Image SN I think they are called. ROH wheels are not too bad at $155-160 each.

I like the open air look. Just wondering if those are "truck" rated. Thanks for all the Input guys!

Cheers,

Con[/quote]

Load capacity is the same one the ZR-1 style 16" wheels as the stock wheels. I don't know anything about truck rating :? Personally I don't think they are very strong they weigh next to nothing. My truck only is on the road.
Best Regards, Jim
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Sorry, I meant Load Rating. Thanks.

Con
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

what do you guys think of these:

http://www.4wheelparts.com//Product2.as ... HF68GC97EA

What is our bolt pattern 5 on 5.5? The 15x8 is cheap but the backspace is 3.5" only. the 16x8 is available in 4" backspacing. do you think that's too far out still? still looking....

Thanks,

Con
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"-Stud spacing is stock, 5 on 4 3/4 "

- ThunderII KE7CSK
the_goods8

here's what im looking for

Post by the_goods8 »

i have the same question and here are my details. i would like the ZR2 appearance on my crew cab. i love the way my truck handles now and dont want to do too much to mess it up. i drive about 60 miles a day. when i go mudding around here its in swamps, powerlines or sand bars. id appreciate it if yall hollered back at me.

p.s. first time to visit this site and it looks good, im interested in joining since add ons for my crew cab are so hard to find.

thanks

jed
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

Conman wrote:what do you guys think of these:

http://www.4wheelparts.com//Product2.as ... HF68GC97EA

What is our bolt pattern 5 on 5.5? The 15x8 is cheap but the backspace is 3.5" only. the 16x8 is available in 4" backspacing. do you think that's too far out still? still looking....

Thanks,

Con

nope, dont like them and havent heard anything good about them.

and yes both of those wheels will dont work at all on our crewcabs. remember i have have 15x8 with 5" of bs. i have t-bars cranked and shackles and with my BFG AT's i rub when flexed or loaded own even after i have chopped the fenders :cry:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: here's what im looking for

Post by a2b »

the_goods8 wrote:i have the same question and here are my details. i would like the ZR2 appearance on my crew cab. i love the way my truck handles now and dont want to do too much to mess it up. i drive about 60 miles a day. when i go mudding around here its in swamps, powerlines or sand bars. id appreciate it if yall hollered back at me.

p.s. first time to visit this site and it looks good, im interested in joining since add ons for my crew cab are so hard to find.

thanks

jed

to get the zr2 appearence....2"BL, then Bucshwacker flares or ZR5 Flares, then crank the tbars and put AAL on, then add spacers or new wheels that stick out just a hair and then throw some 31's on. the zr2 comes with BFG AT's
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Axis Regulator Wheels.

Appears the only wheel that might fit is the 15x7.5" with 4.25" back spacing. If I figured it out right, that's going to be 2.25" wider than stock backspacing(6" right?). I figure the tire I would get would be a 30x9.5-15 or maybe 265/70-15(30x10.x give or take). Do you think this will fit after a 2" bodylift? My guess is that the rear will not rub but the front I'm not sure.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp ... FW&cat=WHE

http://www.spyeng.com/spy/regulator.html

Cheaper at 4wheel Parts as they have a buy 3 get on free sale. The Fake bead lock is available in Red, Blue, and Silver. I'm thinking about the Red ring since it will match the ZR5 Sticker.
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

wheels

Post by snowsurfer »

Hey Conman,

Where is the best place to obtain ROH wheels on line or catalogue?

Do Vette Rims fit?

I have a 83 V8 S10 4WD with older Vette rims 16X9 and just got a new 2003 S10 Crew 4wd but am confused with the size.

Is the bolt spacing 5 X 4.25 or 5 X4.75?

I don't do any off roading just daily driving to and from work and would like nicer rims and tires 16" or 17" so was looking at Vette rims but not sure if they would fit? Any info would be appreciated, thanks

Steve

SEAYAHAWAII@hawaii.rr.com
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote:"-Stud spacing is stock, 5 on 4 3/4 "
Is there an echo? :lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: wheels

Post by Conman »

snowsurfer wrote:Hey Conman,

Where is the best place to obtain ROH wheels on line or catalogue?

Do Vette Rims fit?

I have a 83 V8 S10 4WD with older Vette rims 16X9 and just got a new 2003 S10 Crew 4wd but am confused with the size.

Is the bolt spacing 5 X 4.25 or 5 X4.75?

I don't do any off roading just daily driving to and from work and would like nicer rims and tires 16" or 17" so was looking at Vette rims but not sure if they would fit? Any info would be appreciated, thanks

Steve

SEAYAHAWAII@hawaii.rr.com

I've only been web surfing for info now so I have not picked a vendor, let alone the brand or style I want. Henry is right that the bolt pattern is 5x4.75. As for vendor, 4wheelparts seems to have a great selection, just not online. I see in their magazine ads, they have loads of rims and tires. Just too bad I don't have a catalog nor a store near me. :(

I'm probably going to hit a few off-road stores near me when I buy new wheels just to make sure they fit before I buy. That may not be an easy option for you. Since your looking for a 16" rim, I think someone here has some SLP take off-rims they bought from them which were on a firebird I think.

Good Luck,

Con
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

OK, I think I've decided on the ROH ZS wheels. This is a new color "Argent" which I assume is some sort of dark grey. How do you think that will look on my Pewter ZR5 since the flares and trim are dark anyway.

17x7.5 and 16x8 are the sizes I'm looking at.

Thanks,

Con
Jim

Post by Jim »

Conman wrote:Image

OK, I think I've decided on the ROH ZS wheels. This is a new color "Argent" which I assume is some sort of dark grey. How do you think that will look on my Pewter ZR5 since the flares and trim are dark anyway.

17x7.5 and 16x8 are the sizes I'm looking at.

Thanks,

Con
I'd go for the 17" the tires will cost more but my 16" wheels look small with 29" tires.

ImageImage

You can't imagine the handling improvement over stock 15s until you try it.

What's the cost of those ROH wheels?

I would like them in silver as you can see from my previous posts. I just don't know how to explain to the wife why I would be on me second set of wheels. It was hard enough going for my second billet grill.

ImageImage
Best Regards, Jim
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

here is the company I'm probably going to buy from as they have a shop not too far from me.

http://www.groupawheels.com/prod01.htm

Prices from their site:

Silver

ZS - 16x7 - $125.99, 16x8 - $149.99, 17x7.5 - $149.99, 17x8.5 - $179.99, 17x9.5 - $199.95

Grey

ZS - ARGENT w/MACHINED LIP (full polished lip shown add $45.00) - 17x7.5 - $149.99, 17x8.5 - $179.99, 17x9.5 - $199.99

The other style I was thinking about:

SNYPER - 15x7 - $125.99, 16x8 - $168.00, 17x8 - $192.15, 17x9 - $210.00

I'm leaning towards the 17x7.5 and the tire choice it looking to be 245/65-17 and the

Yokohama Geolandar A/T Plus II which is only $106each from tire rack. This and the Pirelli Scorpion A/T are pretty much the only 29" AT tire in the 17" range. you can get 17" AT and MT but only in 31" and higher.

I sent an email to them to see if they have them instock so I can see the wheels first. Will let you know.

Regards,

Con
HenryJ

Post by HenryJ »

Have you thought about rear wheel spacers to give the truck a more "aggressive" rear end look?

Other than that, you can also try and get soem custom back-spaced rims from Summit Racing through a ZR2.com purchase I set up. Any chrome US Wheels can be custom back-spaced for $5/tire more in chrome, or for stock price with custom back-space and NO paint.

The original string on ZR2.com

Another option, or two...
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Zamboni wrote:Have you thought about rear wheel spacers to give the truck a more "aggressive" rear end look?

Other than that, you can also try and get soem custom back-spaced rims from Summit Racing through a ZR2.com purchase I set up. Any chrome US Wheels can be custom back-spaced for $5/tire more in chrome, or for stock price with custom back-space and NO paint.

The original string on ZR2.com

Another option, or two...

I had the misshap of breaking one of my spacers with my light 500miles of driving so I'm not going back to spacers plus the factory wheels looks so weak so I'm looking for a different look. I looked at the ZR2 Post and I don't really care for the chrome steel look.

Con
Jim

Post by Jim »

Conman wrote: I had the misshap of breaking one of my spacers with my light 500miles of driving so I'm not going back to spacers plus the factory wheels looks so weak so I'm looking for a different look. I looked at the ZR2 Post and I don't really care for the chrome steel look.

Con
What Brand spacer did you have & the reason it broke?
Best Regards, Jim
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Jim wrote:
Conman wrote: I had the misshap of breaking one of my spacers with my light 500miles of driving so I'm not going back to spacers plus the factory wheels looks so weak so I'm looking for a different look. I looked at the ZR2 Post and I don't really care for the chrome steel look.

Con

I'm not going to blame the spacers as I never rechecked them after installing them.

I installed them and used a no-name torque wrench but used a higher PSI of 100 instead of the recommened(95 I think). I drive like 2 miles a day to the train station so we are talking about 30mph at the most so I was not expecting them to loosen with that kind of wear. a little less than 500 miles later, I drove a longer distance(10miles) but highway speeds. It was raining so the rear did a wheel hop once and I think that's when it broke loose. One stud broke on the spacer and the rest of the wheel lugs were loose. When I was taking off the other spacer, the lug nuts broke loose easy from the spacer studs while the spacer nuts were harder to break loose from the factory studs. My guess is that the spacer studs were a tad smaller which made the factory nuts loose on them.

The Spacers was from the Group Buy.

Con
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Wowzers. I wheel hop on rocks and jump rail road tracks, no problem. Sounds funky. I have a very crude torque wrench and I probably have somwhere around 90-100 ft lbs. Something sounds wacky.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

quickbiker wrote:Wowzers. I wheel hop on rocks and jump rail road tracks, no problem. Sounds funky. I have a very crude torque wrench and I probably have somwhere around 90-100 ft lbs. Something sounds wacky.

Yeah, my guess is that they were not gm studs but looked like them. No one else has had any issues so I think mine might have been the problem child. It's just put a bad taste in my mouth so no more spacers for me.

Cheers,

Con
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

Conman wrote:
Jim wrote:

Con

I'm not going to blame the spacers as I never rechecked them after installing them.

I installed them and used a no-name torque wrench but used a higher PSI of 100 instead of the recommened(95 I think). I drive like 2 miles a day to the train station so we are talking about 30mph at the most so I was not expecting them to loosen with that kind of wear. a little less than 500 miles later, I drove a longer distance(10miles) but highway speeds. It was raining so the rear did a wheel hop once and I think that's when it broke loose. One stud broke on the spacer and the rest of the wheel lugs were loose. When I was taking off the other spacer, the lug nuts broke loose easy from the spacer studs while the spacer nuts were harder to break loose from the factory studs. My guess is that the spacer studs were a tad smaller which made the factory nuts loose on them.

The Spacers was from the Group Buy.

Con
Wasn't that GP from AIM?

I'm with a2b. Do the BL. Way better look. What happened - you were on deck for the next BL? What changed your mind? And if you want a set of the Daystars, I'll make you a deal on mine (new in box). If I do anything else to my rear, it will be to yank the add-a-leaf and do the spring over conversion.
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]