tires

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

tires

Post by bradjh »

i will need new tires for my 2002 crew cab before winter. i am thinking bf goodrich all terrain ko. sny suggestions? this will be my first winter with this truck. how good is this truck in the winter in four wheel drive? brad

Nebie from cincy ohio any others near by?
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I'm in Cleveland
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
Wrangler
Crew
Crew

Post by Wrangler »

S-10's aren't the best in the snow but they aren't the worst either. My 2004 Sierra with limited slip walked through every snow we got in 2 wheel drive. It was actually no fun in parking lots. LOL

I love Michelin LTX M/S. I have had them on a few trucks and currently have them on my S-10. They are fairly quiet on the highway, last a really long time and provide good traction wet or dry. I can't tell you how they do offroad since I don't have any experience there. They aren't a passenger care tire but they aren't an aggressive offroad tire either.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The BFG AT KO carries the snowflake symbol signifying it is approved as a snow traction tire.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

Bridgestone DUeler Revos
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

I love my BGF A/T's in the winter!!! :rig: the only issue is speeds over 80mph (open road travel) but I don't think these trucks are built for it. Too bad the engine is. :speedy:
[size=75]’03 S10 CC, thule roof rack, brush guard, painted to match bowtie, running boards, and vent visors, ’56 “chevrolet” badge on tailgate, air box mod w/ K&N filter, Gibson cat back exhaust, 100% synthetic Mobil 1 since day 1, Kenwood deck, tow package, freedom grill [/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

MARBLEYARD wrote:the only issue is speeds over 80mph (open road travel) but I don't think these trucks are built for it. Too bad the engine is. :speedy:
:lol: I was gonna say the exact opposite. :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

i tell ya, get a good tune from wait4meperformance, and the truck really wakes up!

i run bfg A/T's and have yet to get stuck! and I have gotten hung up in places i didnt know what I was getting into, im talkin mud to my doors, and still managed to crawl out...have some faith :-)

P.S. I originate from down the river in Madison IN, thats about an hour and 20 minutes from you. I used to visit Clearwater all the time when I was in high school...
Last edited by purduecrew on Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
COMING: ?[/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

+ 1 for the BFG's :thumb:
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
Rebel-Chevy
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rebel-Chevy »

anyone ever have Goodyear wrangler mt/r's?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Rebel-Chevy wrote:anyone ever have Goodyear wrangler mt/r's?
I did on government rigs and they did fair, not really good. I found Bridgestone and Firestone tires much better but, that was before I tried BFGs. I like them better.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Rebel-Chevy
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rebel-Chevy »

ic ic i don't got alot of cash and need tires for the winter. i know most Goodyear wranglers are pretty cheap, i didn't check the price on the mt/r's yet so im hoping they arnt outrageous
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Yokohama has good tires if, you want to check into them. Try TireRack.com for prices and comparisons along with reviews.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I have the Firestone Destination A/T and LOVE them. On the tire rack review they are number 2 only rated lower than the Pirellis
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I am trying to locate a good alterrain tire that compares in size to 31/9.5 since 31/10.5 cause a rubbing issue. I don't want mud tires since I am on hiway 75% of the time. I'm also wondering what HenryJ and those with a TRUE Marvelous Mystery Lift are going to do with BFG discontinuing the 33/9.5 ?? :roll:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Run the 10.50s like I am now. :wink:
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I"ve only Cranked my torsion bars enough to level my truck. I have 31" to the top of the wheel wells all the way around. I don't want to lift anything else. Bilsteins are next and 100% neoprene bushings will replace all rubber bushings. Last suspension mod will be rear stabilizer bar. I can see the 10.5's working on street ok,but I think they may rub alot off road. :?:
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Wrangler wrote:I love Michelin LTX M/S. .
What he said in spades!!!
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Rebel-Chevy wrote:anyone ever have Goodyear wrangler mt/r's?
I'm on my 3rd set of MT/R's, and they are easily the best off road tire I have ever used. :D

The only real downside is ice traction which they don't have at all. :yikes: :lol:

I have yet to find a tire that I like better.

Steve
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

My brother has MtR's and they are pretty loud on the street. He has complained about them a lot. Just what I've heard. Probably a really good off road tire though.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

ace wrote:My brother has MtR's and they are pretty loud on the street. He has complained about them a lot. Just what I've heard. Probably a really good off road tire though.
All mud tires are loud. :wink:

The MT/R's aren't all that loud when they're new, but the noise does increase as they wear down.

The key to long life and low noise with these tires is to make sure you cross rotate them every 3k miles so they wear down evenly.

As far as off road performance goes they are excellent, probably one of the best off road tires on the market. :D

Steve
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I'll try this again. Is there an allterain tire that compares in size to 31/9.5/15 deminsions? I've either missed something or I'm not searching in the right area. HELP :?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

Horsehammerr wrote:I'll try this again. Is there an allterain tire that compares in size to 31/9.5/15 deminsions? I've either missed something or I'm not searching in the right area. HELP :?
I think the answer is no. A lot of us tried to find a an all terrain in that size but couldn't. The only thing I would be aware of is that not all 30's or 31's are created equal. Their actual diameter is different.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

BFG AT KO's are what I run. Have had excellent success in both mud and snow this past winter. this includes running in low 4 in mud running six grand at 30 mph on speedo with actual groundspeed less than 5mph for distances of 1/2 mile or more at a time. This was running body deep in some places I shouldn't have gone. I think that's about as serious as it gets without being stuck and not moving at all. Go to www.bfgoodrichtires.com for specs etc.
I am running stock suspension with two addtl turns up on torsion bars and using the LT235x75x15 size. These replaced Goodyear wranglers and are in my opinion much superior and aren't particularly noisey on pavement.
Another plus is they are 6ply rated with three ply body plus two additional belts under the tread and rim reinforcement to help prevent rim/rock or aired down operation damage. 01 CC 4.3 automatic
philippe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by philippe »

i have avalanche snow tire (31/10.5/15).i vrey like it,it has good traction on ice to.this week i pull out a 3/4 tons out of snow bank after a another 3/4 tons tried and didnt .i am in abitibi-québec and we have a lot of snow here.(2 in. body lift to stop tire rubing)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

philippe wrote:i have avalanche snow tire (31/10.5/15)............
Don't think I know of that one. Who makes it? If, anyone should know about snow tires, it has to be you!
philippe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by philippe »

my tire are X-treme avalanche M-S.its make by Hercules.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I had 31x10.5-15 MT/R's on my truck on Rockcrawler rims...

I would suggest 30x9.5-15's if you're planning only a t-bar crank and no body lift. I had 30x9.5-15 Dunlop Mud Rovers on before the MT/R's...

...and they rubbed a little on the back of the wheel well opening when turning and hitting bumps. They rubbed much worse after changing to the Rockcrawler rims even after the body lift.

Overall though...the MT/R's were excellent tires. I almost never needed to put it in 4x4 in the winter with those tires. Definitely keep up with the tire rotations though like suggested above.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]