Truckin's 9" suspension lift

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Truckin's 9" suspension lift

Post by Justin »

I am debating whether to get the 7" or 9" kit from truckin suspension. Solid axle swap is out of the question. High roller, any reason you bought the 7" kit and not the 9". Think there are any complications the 9" kit would give that the 7" wouldnt?
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

someone at s-series.org was inquiring about the 9" but it appears its "not ready" yet.

http://forums.s-series.org/viewtopic.php?t=10058

Someone here says they have it but in 2wd only.

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Truckin's 9" suspension lift

Post by a2b »

Justin wrote:I am debating whether to get the 7" or 9" kit from truckin suspension. Solid axle swap is out of the question. High roller, any reason you bought the 7" kit and not the 9". Think there are any complications the 9" kit would give that the 7" wouldnt?

why is a sfa out of the ?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

interesting forum. It seems like you hear negative as well as positive with the kit. My guess is that those guys who tried doing it themselves ran into trouble and came up with the negative comments which scare people like me. I want to stuff 33" or 34" tires which will mainly be for show. I rarely go off-roading unless my buddy is stuck with his tacoma and needs me to pull him out..----> so the idea of a sfa is doable but no real purpose of spending the 10k. I do however have access to a dana 30 up front on a jeep cherokee but I am sure I would still need to spend quite a bit
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I thought the 9" TS kit was only for fullsize trucks?
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

Justin wrote:interesting forum. It seems like you hear negative as well as positive with the kit. My guess is that those guys who tried doing it themselves ran into trouble and came up with the negative comments which scare people like me. I want to stuff 33" or 34" tires which will mainly be for show. I rarely go off-roading unless my buddy is stuck with his tacoma and needs me to pull him out..----> so the idea of a sfa is doable but no real purpose of spending the 10k. I do however have access to a dana 30 up front on a jeep cherokee but I am sure I would still need to spend quite a bit

justin, IMO, it you are doing a show truck, i would go with the SFA. the reason why i am not is because if i did the sfa, it would be for off roading reasons and the s-10 just makes it really impractical for the type of off roading i do. but, for looks and the street, SFA is the coolest way to go. for one, you can put bigger tires on cuz liftting it will be easier. and then you can put some chrome diff covers on the front and rear. it will look very nice. you are up in the north east, so i would call fabtech, take that dana 30 over there, just leave the 30 stock, no need to rebuild it unless its in bad condition. its roughly the same price for doing the swap but it looks soooooo much better, esp on the street :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

I emailed fabritech for some information on their lift. I'm not sure if it is streetable or how much it costs and I am uncertain how the rear works whether its a 4 link or just blocks. Thats the main reason why I am "iffy" with sfa....I do have the dana 30 which cuts alot of cost. might have to throw correct gears in so the determining factor is the price for the kit and whether it is safe on highway. I am hoping that I hit 36,000 miles sometime in July or early august...that is when i plan on installing some suspension lift
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Justin wrote:I emailed fabritech for some information on their lift. I'm not sure if it is streetable or how much it costs and I am uncertain how the rear works whether its a 4 link or just blocks. Thats the main reason why I am "iffy" with sfa....I do have the dana 30 which cuts alot of cost. might have to throw correct gears in so the determining factor is the price for the kit and whether it is safe on highway. I am hoping that I hit 36,000 miles sometime in July or early august...that is when i plan on installing some suspension lift

IMHO, IFS is the way to go for a daily driver. SFA you have alot more lean even if you did add back sway bars. All the people I know with SFA have daily drivers....... I wonder why....... ;)

Off-road Mag did a story(may issue I think) on big IFS lifts. And one advantage is that they are more streetable and cheaper than conversions.

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

true they might be more streetable. but if he wants 35's our wimpy IFS isnt going to cut it for too long. also, if its a "show truck" then SFA is a must. all show truck are. also, if he has a dana 30 then the costs isnt really that much difference.

and justin, they leave the rear up to you. you can put some blocks for now, then get some leafs built for you. and there you go. and yes with anylift, whether ifs or sfa, you will have to re gear, and with the tires you are talking about then you will need 4.56's. if you off roaded i would say even more but since you dont 4.56 will be fine. and remember if you decide that you really want a huge ass truck in the future, you can do it on your SFA but not on ifs, you would have to start all over again with the sfa. also, 4.56 is the lowest gear you can go in your ifs. if you want to go 37's or bigger, then you will need lower gears and the ifs just cant do that. so i throw all that info out there just for info sake. you just got to decided what you want to build and where you are going to stop :lol: if thats possible :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

I guess I am confusing people with "show truck".... It does go to some shows (car stereo, etc.) but I do use it as an everyday driver. I need a kit that looks best and performs best when I drive her on the highway. I'm starting to think sfa is right (priceswise and looks) but ifs would be better for me (more user friendly)
highroller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by highroller »

ok the deal with the 9" truckin suspension lift:

when i called thats the one i wanted, but they informed me about 3 days later, that it can not be installed on an s-10 safely. So there not gonna make it for the s-10 at this time. So thats why i ordered the 7 inch. if you want 9 inches, just get the 7 inch sus. lift and a 2 inch body lift. hope that sheds some light on the subject
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

i already have the body lift. I'd like to squeeze something bigger than 33..If I can..35" tsl thornbirds
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

a2b wrote:true they might be more streetable. but if he wants 35's our wimpy IFS isnt going to cut it for too long. also, if its a "show truck" then SFA is a must. all show truck are. also, if he has a dana 30 then the costs isnt really that much difference.

and justin, they leave the rear up to you. you can put some blocks for now, then get some leafs built for you. and there you go. and yes with anylift, whether ifs or sfa, you will have to re gear, and with the tires you are talking about then you will need 4.56's. if you off roaded i would say even more but since you dont 4.56 will be fine. and remember if you decide that you really want a huge ### truck in the future, you can do it on your SFA but not on ifs, you would have to start all over again with the sfa. also, 4.56 is the lowest gear you can go in your ifs. if you want to go 37's or bigger, then you will need lower gears and the ifs just cant do that. so i throw all that info out there just for info sake. you just got to decided what you want to build and where you are going to stop :lol: if thats possible :wink:

DITTO DITTO

Our IFS will really suck with any more than 31-33's. I just read the latest issue from 4wheelparts.com on an article about the Chevy IFS's. They had a mix up in the Chevy 7.5 and 8.5 IFS and the 7.5 on our trucks is rated at a 1 from a scale of 1-5, 5 being the strongest. And they rate at no more than 30's maybe 31's if you are not too hard wheeling. Which seem to be about right for reports I hear about when people go with large tires.

There are some really nice SFA's out there. Someday I will look into it, but I believe my IFS will last long. Even though I have 31's and do some interesting off-roading, I don't like to spin my tires, so should be good for a while anhow.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yes i was very dissappointed to read that article too. even though i already knew that. :(
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

still no word from fabritech but this whole talk about our weak ifs is scaring me. I walk past this wrangler with 33" mud terrains and the little red devil on my shoulder tells me i need 35" thornbirds to show him up :evil: ......Anyways, if I am convinced that sfa IS streetable to a certain extent (able to drive 200 miles once every 2 months)I'll buy that but if not than I will most likely get the 7" truckin suspension and put 33's on :?
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

whats your definition of streetable? its not like its going to just fall apart on a trip. sure, a sfa rides rougher than the ifs as it should but that would be about it.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

streetable = some lift that if I put 200 miles on, it will be good for the challenge...IMO, i would think that the sfa has less moving parts than the ifs so if something were to break (which is another thing I don't want to happen) it would be easier to replace or fix

for 35", sfa is my only option. I am a little skeptical with the fabritech kit only on one truck so far, using a jeep axle--> (probably need new driveshaft, brake cables, what happens to the 4wd actuator?) there are just so many things I don't know about
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

From what I've seen from a guy that's done the Fabritech on his 96 over on S10Forum.com, Fabritech doesn't really know much about their kit either. The guy over there had problems with getting the kit (took aomething like 3 months), the kit was missing bolts, no installation instructions, etc. Then it took Fabritech several days to get his shop the missing pieces.

From what I've heard, Fabritech is not very impressive at all.
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

Justin wrote:streetable = some lift that if I put 200 miles on, it will be good for the challenge...IMO, i would think that the sfa has less moving parts than the ifs so if something were to break (which is another thing I don't want to happen) it would be easier to replace or fix

for 35", sfa is my only option. I am a little skeptical with the fabritech kit only on one truck so far, using a jeep axle--> (probably need new driveshaft, brake cables, what happens to the 4wd actuator?) there are just so many things I don't know about

well, the only negative stuff i have heard is that their kit doesnt really setup the suspension right for rockcrawling. but if its just a street queen, it would be fine.

check off road unlimited for thier kit as well!
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

finally heard from fabritech

The conversion will fit all S-series trucks, except for ZR2 models which we

think to be slightly different and 2wd models. We can provide you with a

Dynatrac Dana 44 that is setup externally like a Dana 30 Cherokee front

end.

The price for this will vary depending upon what internal components the

customer desires. We don't offer rebuilt Dana 30 housings due to the

intense

rebuild time.

Installation is something that any competent 4wd shop can handle. The 9"

kit

is $2320.99, the 11.5" kit is $2394.85, the sway bar assy. is $348.14.

These

are not prices including the housing. The 9" kit is finished with about a 4

week wait at this time, we are trying to get all of our setups right. The

11.5" kit should be ready within the next month. As for the rear, our kit

includes nothing. We did a spring over kit on the demo vehicle. But we do

not supply the components for that. We supply straight axle conversions. A

simple block in the rear got it up to speed just fine after the spring

over.

The front coils, steering, and brake lines come with the kit. You supply

the

front shocks, housing, and all the rear suspension components.

The kit includes the following: Driver's and Passenger's Coil towers w/

bump

stop assys., Adj. trac bar and adjuster, Coil tower support bar, Upper and

Lower 4 link bars, Rear 4-link mounting brackets, Rear trans. x-member,

Upper 4-link mounts, Coil retaining hooks, Front coils and brake lines,

Pitman arm, Tie rod assy., Drag link assy., Bushings and Hardware.

still didn't tell me how good it was on the road
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

That's their standard reply to inquiries about the kit. There have been a few guys over on s10forum.com who got the same reply...word for word I think...when they asked about the kit.
[size=75]Mark
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yeah, i go the same reply. i wouldnt imagine the road being a problem. it will be more ruff, but once you go to 35's you lost the smooth ride anyways.

also, i heard that some magazine did a write up on truckin suspension lifts, and they called it a

" trail disaster"
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

depends how much air ya got in em. :)
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]