Yet another rearspacing debate...

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Yet another rearspacing debate...

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:...Another thing to consider is that wheel spacers put more stress on the wheel bearings (front or rear) which can make them wear out faster.
I haven't heard of anyone here having this problem, but it is a well known fact.
In your mind. You know we have been over this subject and I strongly disagree:
Backspacing , wheel bearings , scrub radius. and Wheel Spacer Problems

I am running 1.25" on the front and 3" on the rear.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:
killian96ss wrote:...Another thing to consider is that wheel spacers put more stress on the wheel bearings (front or rear) which can make them wear out faster.
I haven't heard of anyone here having this problem, but it is a well known fact.
In your mind. You know we have been over this subject and I strongly disagree:
Wheel bearings? and Wheel Spacer Problems

I am running 1.25" on the front and 3" on the rear.
Once again it's simple physics and it's a well known fact that pushing the wheels farther out from the centered load bearing area will increase stress and wear on wheel bearings. :wink:

I'm really not up to debating this any farther, but I would suggest that if you still don't believe in this that you contact a reputable alignment shop, chassis engineer or bearing manufacturer to confirm that what I'm saying is the truth. :wink:

I highly doubt all the engineering experts are wrong. :roll:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have tried to explain this many times, and the point always seems to get lost. Physics , yes, but use the right facts.

If we used a wheel with zero offset. This would offer the least leverage applied to the mounting surface.
Wheel spacers are no different than changing the rear spacing on your wheels.
Would 12 inch spacers add stress, sure. So would wheels with that much offset.

Our wheels have a 2.5" negative offset. Adding 2.5 inch spacers to our wheels you would attain zero offset and the least leverage or stress on the drive components. An increase, from zero , in either positive or negative offset will add stress to the components. I guess I really have no argument here. Yes offset can cause stress. I believe a reduction can actually improve an already poor situation.
While the reduction in rearspacing may reduce the leverage applied to the wheel bearings and axle, the increase in footprint and radius of the arc as the wheel is turned add stress to the steering components.

All this is with a load evenly applied to the surface of the tire and within the range of the stock wheel width.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I see we now have our own topic. :o

:rant: :punch: :rant: :punch: :lol:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You mean "yet another" topic :lol:
Just a "rehash" of the same stuff a year and a half a go :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

But atleast you two can still smile about it. :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
cdnuser
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by cdnuser »

:shock: I don't believe in physics just like I don't believe in evolution. All that from tad poles and monkeys. Its all hog wash. :puke:
Physics is the same. All black magic created by government to control us.

:hehe:
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I think what this boils down to is whether or not the bearing assembly is designed to match the horizontal and vertical loads created by the offset/backspace of the stock wheel. Zero offset is "ideal" assuming the bearing assembly is universal/generic. But, if it's designed to accommodate the horizontal load created by the stock wheel's offset/backspace, then zero offset isn't so "ideal" anymore.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Barch hit the nail on the head. The bearing is designed with the stock mounting dimensions in mind. If you move the centerline of the wheel either out or in, you will be changing the load applied to the bearings.

Moving the wheel out (by adding spacers, or increasing backspacing) increases the forces present at the bearing. There are no two ways about it.

Whether that is enough to cause a failure or accelerated wear is something that has to be determined through testing.

I've been through this 1,000 times with other people when they ask how I can run 2.25" adapters on my Xtreme and not have bearing issues. Between the offset on the C5 wheels, and the adapters, the centerline of the wheel moved less than 1/16" from the stock location. The bearing load subsequently changed very little.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

I spoke with my shop mechanic and he tells me that the wheels are not "even" for a reason. They are spaced for better traction so you don't ride the same rut. He noted it changes your camber so there is posibility of tire wear out of the norm. Last, it will not pass Virginia state inspection, but that's my problem if I choose to have it. (VA also won't alow you to have cross bars in front your headlights)
[size=75]’03 S10 CC, thule roof rack, brush guard, painted to match bowtie, running boards, and vent visors, ’56 “chevrolet” badge on tailgate, air box mod w/ K&N filter, Gibson cat back exhaust, 100% synthetic Mobil 1 since day 1, Kenwood deck, tow package, freedom grill [/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

okay, i am stepping in and saying the spacer debate is stupid and stop talking about physics. as if that makes people not use spacers :roll:

if we that concerned with wearing things out, then we better drive slower because the faster we go, there is more friction on our paint and body from wind and dust and debree. its a proven physics fact that more friction between 2 objects will cause wear and tear. so i think its best if we all drive about 20 mph just to cut down on friction. this way, our paint will last a long time :roll:

that is what i think about people saying spacers wear out bearings. :P
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Some of the comments on this subject don't make any sense, but I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion just like me. :roll: :wink:

I want to make one thing clear and that is that I am NOT trying to discourage anyone from running spacers on their vehicle, in fact I still run spacers even though I am fully aware of the problems that can be caused by using them.

Will you ever have a wheel bearing failure as a result of running spacers? :?:

Maybe not, but it is s good idea to understand the possible problems that can occur. :wink:

I have personally seen wheel bearing failures as a direct result of using spacers, but like I said in a similar topic I have not seen one yet on an S-Series.

Wheel spacers WILL void any warranty work that involves bad wheel bearings or similar problems caused by spacers. :wink:

If you are having a problem that you think might be a bad wheel bearing then the smart thing to do would be to remove the spacers before you take your vehicle in for warranty work. :wink:

Even my own alignment/tire guy who I highly respect gives me grief every time he sees my spacer. :lol:

Aluminum wheel spacer also have a tendency to cause wheel vibrations by not being perfectly centered, incorrectly torqued, and also from the chemical reaction between the spacer and the rotor or drum due to dissimilar metals.

I remember a few of these problems being mentioned by members here.

None of the potential problems that I have listed above will keep me from using wheel spacers, but there is nothing wrong with being educated. :wink:

Steve
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

killian96ss wrote: If you are having a problem that you think might be a bad wheel bearing then the smart thing to do would be to remove the spacers before you take your vehicle in for warranty work. :wink:

that is the truth. GM never wanted to work on my s-10. first i had a timing problem, they said it was because i had a aftermarket muffler and they wouldnt touch it cuz i voied the warranty. then the ball joints were going out, so my brother in law was a service rider, so i took it to him and he said that he could hook me up. the mechanics told him, that they didnt need to do anything to the truck because thats just the way "lifted" trucks behave....guess what!!! its not lifted you morons :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

So, how do you cover up the high speed friction wear on your paint when you go in for warranty work?
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

ROFL.....high speed friction wear....thats great :D

I don't think dissimilar metals will cause wheel vibrations. Perhaps the wheel not seating properly because of a buildup of corrosion?!?! I dunno.

Otherwise I concur with all the concepts/ideas listed above in Killian's post.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

2kwik4u wrote:I don't think dissimilar metals will cause wheel vibrations. Perhaps the wheel not seating properly because of a buildup of corrosion?!?! I dunno.
Actually this is what I'm talking about. :wink:

When the chemical reaction occurs it starts a build up of corrosion that causes the mounting surfaces to become uneven resulting in a slight "wheel wobble". :o

If the problem is ignored it will eventually get worse. :(

It is a good idea to remove your spacers every once in a while to check for this corrosion and clean them up.

I'm not sure if there is a real cure for this, but one of my machinist friends says to always apply a thin layer of grease between the 2 dissimilar metal and this will stop the reaction from starting.

This may work for him when mating 2 machined parts together, but it worries me a little on a rotor/spacer/wheel combo. :?: :?

Maybe it would be perfectly safe, but I don't want to be the guinea pig here. :lol:

Steve
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

I sprayed mine with WD40 before installing them. No problems at this time.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

2kwik4u wrote:I sprayed mine with WD40 before installing them. No problems at this time.
Maybe that's all we need to do every once in a while to prevent the corrosion. :idea: :)

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:...............Maybe it would be perfectly safe, but I don't want to be the guinea pig here. :lol:

Steve
Ok, I am in the foray :wink: I have had vibrations with spacers and cleaning the surfaces where they meet with the OEM parts cure it (they were cleaned prior to the spacers being added). Next time I feel the need to do it, I'll throw on some antiseize (keeping it away from wheel studs).

I keep it around now and have a good local source for it. Owning a pos jeep teaches one to always use antiseize during assembly and to soak parts to be disassembled with, PB Blaster or Seafoam's Deep Creep, once a day for a week prior to performing a job. Otherwise you have all kinds of fastener carnarge.

Can anyone contribute a failure to spacers other than by having poor spacers or failing to check the torque on them?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

barch97 wrote:So, how do you cover up the high speed friction wear on your paint when you go in for warranty work?
just drive around with a tarp :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\