Tires

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Jay-Bird
Crew
Crew

Tires

Post by Jay-Bird »

I have 31x10.50x15 on my truck now and no rub.. and its stock

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/c ... intako.jsp 8) 8) 8)

Hossjr3
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

On the stock rims as well I assume? Interesting...

Any torsion bar crank or anything like that?
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I've been thinking about 9.5x30's myself but weren't sure if they would fit stock. I really don't like going the body lift route and at least for now the suspension lift is out of the question. I've got my t-bars cranked a little (3 turns = 1"?).

31's and stock? Hmm. Interesting.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

That link don't show us. I find it hard to believe. Maybe driving straight and never turning or flexing it is possible. :?
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Tires

Post by a2b »

Jay-Bird wrote:I have 31x10.50x15 on my truck now and no rub.. and its stock

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/c ... intako.jsp 8) 8) 8)

Hossjr3

okay jay bird. where in lousisana are you?

and what is that link about? i have the same tires? and they rub really good against the frame at almost full lock. cant convince me other wise :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

yeah...same tires and I have rub at full lock... Check your frame for paint wear!! If not than :?:
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
Jay-Bird
Crew
Crew

Testing tommorrow

Post by Jay-Bird »

Calhoun, Louisiana> torsion picked it up almost 2" > I am going to test it good tommorrow going on some dirt roads and to Lake D'arbone or how ever you spell it the water was up last weekend and i had some fun but i am going again>and i am going 2 take some pics> if yall want 2 c tell me> iam going 2 c if the inside rubs
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It looks to me like the redesigned shoulder on the KO may be helping your clearance issues.

They are 10.5's , however that is the section width. The tread width may acually be narrower than the old AT's, and with the corner being cut a bit you may infact have more clearance.

Just my observation ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

HenryJ wrote:It looks to me like the redesigned shoulder on the KO may be helping your clearance issues.

They are 10.5's , however that is the section width. The tread width may acually be narrower than the old AT's, and with the corner being cut a bit you may infact have more clearance.

Just my observation ;)

good call!

but i have both mixed on my truck and they both rub. and remember i have 5" of bs on 6" like he does. and if i rub, then he rubs. also, i had the long trials on my front with stock rims and the rubbed good. and they arent near as aggressive at the at's
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Ok, how about the 9.5x30's (on stock rims)? Will they fit without rubbing? Also, how much if any bigger are they than my stock 235/75-15's? I was thinking of going the BFG mud terrain route if that makes any difference.
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

those should fit with no problems

It's 9.5" x 29.8" and the 235's are around 29"

check this out for those who have BFG!!! An assurance package if we get stuck

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/c ... urance.jsp
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Justin wrote:those should fit with no problems

It's 9.5" x 29.8" and the 235's are around 29"

check this out for those who have BFG!!! An assurance package if we get stuck

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/c ... urance.jsp

Off road towing? Who'd a thought! I was thinking about the Goodyear MT/R's but I'm going with the BFG's Mud Terrains. Tried and proven.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

GaryH wrote: I was thinking about the Goodyear MT/R's but I'm going with the BFG's Mud Terrains. Tried and proven.
I too considered the Goodyear MTR's.

I have installed them on a few of the companies fleet vehicles , and they are performing really well so far. They seem to handle the sharp rock better than the extra grip workhorse radials, or the Toyo mud terrain. They are also quieter and less "squishy" in the turns (2 ply extra sidewall protection).

The availability of the 31x10.5's is still poor, and the cost is pretty high when compared.

With the government discount and no FET the company can buy them for about $80 each. Too bad I can't get them for that price for personal use, or I'd have a set!

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

My one remaining question is how long do the MTR's seem to last? I knew someone who had the BFG MT's and they just never seemed to wear out. He also drove those things through some pretty unbelievable slop!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I won't be able to say for sure until after a season with them on. I've only had them (new style GY MTR) on the vehicles for less than 6 months.

EDIT: After doing a TireRack comparison : BFG, Goodyear , Yokohama

I would say between the BFG and Goodyear, the Goodyear wins "hands down".

The cost is a little less, rated higher across the board, and they look very agressive in comparison. JMO The only draw back is that the tread is just close enough to pick up small rocks, the BFG may be a bit better in that instance.

P.S. I'll probably be getting another set of Geolandars, they are working great for me :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I've thought about the Goodyears, actually I'm still thinking about them. It's just that I've known people who have had pretty good experiences with the BFG's. The MTR's do look good though. I'm also looking at new wheels too. I want to keep the stock stuff for any long road trips. I like the "no nonsense" look of the black rock crawlers like what Hobie has. Anybody know what the backspacing is on our stock wheels and can you custom order rock crawlers in that size?
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

gary,

i like the good year better. plus i have heard from an expierenced rock crawler who used to swear by BFG, that the MTR's grip the rock better than BFG. and i think they look better :D

also, you can get black crawlers but the bs on them is only like 4". you have to get custom rims to get more backspacing. if you are only going to 31's, then get a 7" wide rim. the width of the rim and tire is what kills us and makes us rub. then get 5.5 or so "'s of bs. i called 4wp and had them special order the wheels from v-tech. it took a few weeks to get them in. good luck!!!
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

I've got the new Bridgestone Dueler REVO AT and love them. But if your looking for MTs, I would consider the Kumho MTs. Got a good write up at off-road.com. I had BFG MT on my 89 Trooper and they were great in mud, but in snow, they were a bear. Yeah I did not have them sipped but one reason is that they chunked a little so I was worried I would lose a lug if I sipped them.

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Conman wrote:I had BFG MT on my 89 Trooper and they were great in mud, but in snow, they were a bear. Yeah I did not have them sipped but one reason is that they chunked a little so I was worried I would lose a lug if I sipped them.

Con

Yeah, I noticed that about the BFG MT's too. This last winter we had one good snow (maybe 18") and I had a really bad time getting out of my driveway with the stock wrangler RT/S tires I have now. They seem to be more highway tread than anything. Anyway, some guy in a full size Bronco with BFG MT's backed into my driveway to turn around and almost got stuck getting back out. Seemed strange to me somehow. It would seem that the more aggresive the tread, the better in snow but maybe not.
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

Anybody ever considered Explore Pro comp mt I have them on my 95 ZR2 for about six months now and I really like them. They worked really well in the snow this winter, but haven't had a chance to use them in the mud yet.

Added the pic-HJ
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I'll probably get the Kumhos on mine when I decide what I'm going to do with it (lift or not). I had Kumho ECSTA's on my Z28 and they were great. They had really great wear even with going to the drag strip a couple times a month. They're very affordable too. Tire Rack has 31x10.5's for around $80 per tire.

Added a pic-HJ
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

I am on my second set of Mastercrafts by Cooper. Set number one has went 40k with one rotate and I just bought my Courser ATs. So far the ATs are great in the snow and rain. Have not been off road yet. Must say the are quiet on the road. Should last 50k.

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
Jay-Bird
Crew
Crew

He told me the......

Post by Jay-Bird »

He told me the wrong tire http://www.bridgestonetire.com/dpp/ here

is the tires i have..<>anyone know if Allen did any thing to his truck for the 7IN lift to fit?

P.S.

Hossjr3@yahoo.com
Jay-Bird
Crew
Crew

<>Bridgestone Dueler A/T with UNI-T

Post by Jay-Bird »

For the adventurous driver searching for a balance between refined highway driving and off-road performance, the Bridgestone Dueler A/T with UNI-T has it all. It lets you conquer both worlds...without compromising the comfort of a civilized ride.

Innovative Tire Design - A Comprehensive Tire Design Method

This method improves handling in wet or dry conditions and reduces irregular treadwear by combining the ideal tread design, casing shape, materials and construction.

Innovative Roundness - Rounder Is Better

Rounder overall tire shape provides better balance for wet or dry handling.

Innovative Compound - Longer Is Stronger

L.L. Carbon utilizes a special form of molecular re-engineered carbon black, a key factor in improving tire wear while enhancing wet performance.

5 Degree Noise Reduction

Produces noise-canceling sound waves to significantly reduce tire noise on road surfaces.

Rim Guard

The raised rubber ridge acts like a bumper to protect wheels from curb damage.

Spiral Wrap

The circle of nylon helps the tire hold its shape to enhance performance, especially at high speeds

Fixed the image link-HJ
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Why bother with MTs or ATs? Stuff some super swampers :D they are smooth but humm like crazy, you kinda forget about it though. About that 31x10" with no rub, do you have fenders on your truck? I have about 6.5 inches (5.25" of brackets and 1.5 T-bar) of suspension lift and they rub when I hit a good size bump, but I also have offset wheels.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Well, I finally got my tires. I went with Cooper Discoverer S/T 9.5x30's. Look like a good mud and snow tread but not so agressive that they aren't streetable. In fact I think my truck actually handles a little better around corners on dry pavement. Strange. They are a little noisy on pavement but not intolerable. They don't rub anywhere either with stock spec wheels.

(I also got a digital camera so I'm finally going to post a pic of my truck as soon as I figure out how to!)
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

I JUST put a set of BFG AT KO 30X5.5-15's on my BONE stock crew. I don't think there's any way they will ever rub. Somebody said it...the stock Wrangler RT/S BLOW(...SUCK, your choice) big time. At 12,000 miles I almost put my truck into a ditch three times on WET roads. I can't wait for winter this year!

As for anything made made Firestone/Bridgestone...those pieces of crap still owe me money!! You couldn't GIVE me a set of their tires!! The Bridgestones are coming off of my wife's Vue just for the principle of the matter!! Any one want a set of 235/70-16 Bridgestones with less than 3,000 miles on them!?! :roll:
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

dhawke wrote:I JUST put a set of BFG AT KO 30X5.5-15's on my BONE stock crew. I don't think there's any way they will ever rub. Somebody said it...the stock Wrangler RT/S BLOW(...SUCK, your choice) big time. At 12,000 miles I almost put my truck into a ditch three times on WET roads. I can't wait for winter this year!

As for anything made made Firestone/Bridgestone...those pieces of c##p still owe me money!! You couldn't GIVE me a set of their tires!! The Bridgestones are coming off of my wife's Vue just for the principle of the matter!! Any one want a set of 235/70-16 Bridgestones with less than 3,000 miles on them!?! :roll:

I'm sure some people like the things but I personally can't say enough bad things about the Goodyear RT/S tires. They're only good for the Yuppie SUV Mall Runner crowd who want that "rugged off road look". Other than that, they're pretty much highway only. Mine were pretty much worn out at 25k too.
Jim

Post by Jim »

dhawke wrote:I JUST put a set of BFG AT KO 30X5.5-15's on my BONE stock crew. I don't think there's any way they will ever rub. Somebody said it...the stock Wrangler RT/S BLOW(...SUCK, your choice) big time. At 12,000 miles I almost put my truck into a ditch three times on WET roads. I can't wait for winter this year!

As for anything made made Firestone/Bridgestone...those pieces of c##p still owe me money!! You couldn't GIVE me a set of their tires!! The Bridgestones are coming off of my wife's Vue just for the principle of the matter!! Any one want a set of 235/70-16 Bridgestones with less than 3,000 miles on them!?! :roll:

The Wrangler RT/S tires must be crap...I felt as much improvement when I switched over to 16" Yokohamas as I did years ago when switching from bias ply to radial tires.

And by the way how much do you want for the 16" Bridgestones?
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

I'll have to get them replaced first. My wife isn't quite as bitter towards the Firestone Corporations as I am, so she might not be as willing to part with themas I am! :lol: I'll get the model they are and keep you posted.
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

wheels

Post by snowsurfer »

can anyone tell me the correct bolt pattern for 2003 Crew's

Is it 5 X 4.75 or 5 X 4.25 ????

I have also have a V* S10 83' that I was able to fit Vette Rims 85'-86' which I believe are 4.75 but I read in this forum somewhere that the pattern was 5 X 4.25 on the New Crews which I now own???

Steve

SEAYAHAWAII@HAWAII.RR.COM
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

6pack wrote:-Stud spacing is stock, 5 on 4 3/4
That's what I have ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: wheels

Post by a2b »

snowsurfer wrote:can anyone tell me the correct bolt pattern for 2003 Crew's

Is it 5 X 4.75 or 5 X 4.25 ????

I have also have a V* S10 83' that I was able to fit Vette Rims 85'-86' which I believe are 4.75 but I read in this forum somewhere that the pattern was 5 X 4.25 on the New Crews which I now own???

Steve

SEAYAHAWAII@HAWAII.RR.COM

check the stock info on the main site
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\