superlift and bds lift do they improve your ride quality?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

superlift and bds lift do they improve your ride quality?

Post by ace »

I'm trying to gain the best ride quality with my truck without losing lift. I might start using it for a sales job to get around all over the state. I think the biggest contributor to a decline in ride quality is cranking the tbars. With either of the lifts mentioned can you decrank the tbars and still run larger tires right? If anyone with the superlift or BDS lift can chime in about ride quality would be greatly appreciated.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
LonestarZ
Crew
Crew

Post by LonestarZ »

No.. they will not "improve" ride quality.. they will raise the height of your vehicle.

If you want better ride quality get rid of your mickey Thompson MTX's and get some BFG AT KO's.

Also for improved comfort get some wet okole seat covers.. they look good, last long, and are very comfortable for long drives.

Hope that helps.
[size=75]Dave

[url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?a=member&id=545]2002 ZR2 5spd[/url][/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

[quote If you want better ride quality get rid of your mickey Thompson MTX's and get some BFG AT KO's. quote]

My MTX's might be contributing to a little bit of bumpy ride, who know's I did crank the tbars the same time I put them. I would love to pop some BFG's on and see what the ride is like but... My ride isn't horrible and putting bilstein's helped a lot but I still think cranking the tbars is what contributed to a bumpier ride. I don't want to decrank them though that is why I was exploring other lift options without the crank.
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

ace wrote:I still think cranking the tbars is what contributed to a bumpier ride. I don't want to decrank them though that is why I was exploring other lift options without the crank.
The t-bar crank will make the ride much stiffer due to the increased angle of the lower control.

The spring rate is still the same, but because of the increased control arm angle it is harder for the suspension to compress.

I would have to think that the BDS or Superlift kits would return the CV shafts to the proper angle which should soften the ride much like it was stock.

Yes you would have a higher center of gravity, but the feel when going over bumps should be about the same as stock or even better with the larger tires.

Steve2003 would be a good person to ask about ride quality differences. :wink:

Steve
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

killian96ss wrote: I would have to think that the BDS or Superlift kits would return the CV shafts to the proper angle which should soften the ride much like it was stock.Steve

That's what I was thinking. Hopefully someone will chime in an confirm it. My friend had a 6" procomp lift installed on his avalanche and the ride was fantastic. He had 35's on there too.
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

I loved my BDS lift. the ride quality was similar, if not better, then the stock setup. i think this was because of the large side wall of my tires and the increased suspension travel. I never cranked my T-bars and obviously that helped in the ride.

here's a shot of the CV, i don't think that's too far off of the stock angle

the problem with lifting these trucks (or any truck for that matter) is the increased wear and tare it puts the front end components through. you begin to lose the daily driver capabilities and you'll note that nearly everyone who has lifted their truck (except steve, he's still living the dream)....has sold it.
best of luck to you and don't hesitate to ask any questions you have.
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

Bwenny,

Did you have skidz flares on your truck or were you able to run the 33's after the lift without modifying the fender?
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

5" BDS lift, 2" body lift...still rubbed the 33X12.50's

sooooooo.......out came the sawzall. if i remember right we cut over an inch off each the front (bumber side) and back (cab side) of the front fender openings

on the rear, we didn't have to cut the front half (cab side) of the rear fender, but the rear half (bumber side) we took out all the material back to the fender mount bolt. with all that done, i didn't have any rubbing issues. but i didn't do any rock-crawling....just good ol' muddin 8)

I've looked, but i don't have any pictures uploaded of my fender openings, sorry.
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]