2" Lift Shackles Installed

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

2" Lift Shackles Installed

Post by Cajun »

After a mild TB crank I went ahead and added 2" lift shackles to restore a little rake to the profile. Below are before and afters
Before shackles and with TB crank
After Shackles
The shackle

I really like the stance and appreciate all of your help
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Good work! Looks good! I still wish I had a yellow truck!
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
jdeller
Regular
Regular

Post by jdeller »

hey, Im new here, and i have the same truck but white/ camo. what is TB? and where can i get the shackles at? thanks alot...Jon
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

jdeller wrote:hey, Im new here, and i have the same truck but white/ camo. what is TB?
Torsion Bar: Front suspension can be adjusted for height/stiffness by tightening or loosening the torsion bars.
jdeller wrote:and where can i get the shackles at? thanks alot...Jon
Here's more information on installation and preferred manufacturers of shackles.

Good Luck and welcome aboard.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
jdeller
Regular
Regular

Post by jdeller »

thanks alot!!!
jdeller
Regular
Regular

Post by jdeller »

how many truns should the TB go to go with the shackle? then need to get a alinement or no?
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

jdeller wrote:how many truns should the TB go to go with the shackle?
That's up to you. You don't neccessarily have to turn the t-bars at all. Most that I have seen with shackle/t-bar crank look very similar to Cajun's, with rear slightly higher. So, as many turns as it takes to get the "rake" you're looking for.

But, if you're asking how many turns to raise the front the same height as the rear... It depends on where you're starting from and that varies from truck to truck, even from wheel to wheel.

Each full turn will add about a 1/2" initially but, after driving it a few miles, it will settle to about half that. So, if shackles raise the rear by an inch and a half, you'll need about six full turns to raise the front the same amount. You may or may not have enough thread on the adjustment bolt to accomplish this.
jdeller wrote:then need to get a alinement or no?
Yes, after any adjustment of t-bars, your wheels will be misaligned. Six turns and 1.5" height increase will dramatically effect alignment, maybe even beyond the range that can be realigned. Also consider that tightening the suspension stiffens the ride. This is a significant adjustment and will dramatically change the way the truck drives. Further consider the history of front end component failure after extreme t-bar adjustment amoung members here. CV boots/joints, wheel bearings, etc.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
jdeller
Regular
Regular

Post by jdeller »

ok so as far as the guy with the yellow zr5 he sais a mild... crank of the TB any idea how much that was? his looks really good with the 2" shackel and im thinking of a 2" BL too.
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

I am not exactly sure how much lift I got out of the T-Bar crank. My guess is not more than 1 1/2". I brought the truck to the tire/alignment shop because I need an alignment and asked the tech to also raise the front of the truck level with the stock rear and stay with-in GM spec, I brought the "trim height measurements" from the Stock information section of this website. It made a big difference, my truck was pretty low before. I noticed right away and when I sat in the driver's seat the hood looked level. The ride is a bit stiffer, like a truck should be. I have been keeping an eye on the C/V boot and so far so godd, knock on wood. The shackles restored the rake so that when I load it up I don't drive around town tail dragging, nose in the air.

You may also want to look into these shackles http://www.synergyoffroad.com/Shackles.html

Good Luck!
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

jdeller, good to see you made it onto this site! Basically, if you want to know anything about these trucks...someone on here will help you out. i think a body lift, add-a-leafs or shackles, and a mild TB crank is just where the crewcabs need to be 8)
look forward to seeing before and after shots!
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]