Another "LIFT" question

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

cdnuser
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Another "LIFT" question

Post by cdnuser »

I am a complete newbie when it comes to lifts. And I really want to get a better stance for my stock Zr5. I want to keep it at a decent height because I use it as a daily driver on the highways. I would like to go a tad higher than a zr2 stance. Leaning towards maybe 4"

How involved is doing a BL? I don't have the tools nor the facilities to do it myself so I would be taking it to a shop. What is the best body lift kit and where is the best place to buy it?? What things would I have to worry about when doing a BL. ie. exhaust location, brush guard mounting etc etc.

In regards to a Suspension lift what kits are there for the zr5? Best place to buy? Is there a 4" suspension lift?? What stock components have to be replaced? Shocks etc?

Cost is a major issue. But I want to do it right.

Plus
What is the biggest tire that will fit a stock zr5?
What tire will I be able to get after a 4-6" lift?
What tire would most of you guys recommend for mainly hwy use?

Thanks for all your help!
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Another "LIFT" question

Post by barch97 »

all the questions in the beginning of your post have been the subject of much discussion here and opinions vary.
cdnuser wrote:What is the biggest tire that will fit a stock zr5?
even the stock wheels/tires will rub if flexed enough. so, smaller than you have now I guess.
cdnuser wrote:What tire will I be able to get after a 4-6" lift?
there's a lot more to consider here. to go that much higher, you're going to have to go a lot wider. so diameter of a tire is the least of your worries.
cdnuser wrote:What tire would most of you guys recommend for mainly hwy use?

For mainly hwy use, I recommend you keep your truck just the way it is. If you really NEED the height, then go with the tried and true 2" body lift by performance accessories.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Well - first - the BL is pretty easy if you are mechanical - if not let the shop do it.

Performance Accessories wins the BL question hands down.

BL + Shackles or a rear spring swap + torsion bar adjustment and you can fit 31" tires relatively well. If your truck is a 3.42 gear ratio, I would recommend a 30"x9.50" instead. 31's are better on the 3.73 rear end. You can get up to 33x10.50 if you have some cutout fender flares and the right wheels and backspacing. It's not simple, and you would probably have a hard time getting a shop to do the work at a reasonable price.

Second - no 4" lift that I am aware of (there was a superlift 3" - but it is a waste of your time and $$$) - the SL 6" and BDS are the 2 that I can redily think of, but you're talking about upwards of $2800 - 3000 installed. I have been out of the loop on this site for a while.

You're talking about ~ $180 - 200 for the Bodylift plus install, $50-100 for shackles, torsion bar adjust is free - and you will need an alignment afterward. Tops $350 before installation and whatever tires you decide to go with.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Another "LIFT" question

Post by adrenalnjunky »

barch97 wrote:
cdnuser wrote:What tire would most of you guys recommend for mainly hwy use?

For mainly hwy use, I recommend you keep your truck just the way it is. If you really NEED the height, then go with the tried and true 2" body lift by performance accessories.
I echo barch - the Crew doesn't get stunning mileage even stock - any of the mods you're talking about are going to affect gas mileage negatively if you go to a taller tire.

Every question you are wanting to ask has been asked many times before - just search - you'll find tons of useful discussion, without having to wait for someone to respond, cause it's all been discussed.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]