Shackles

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Shackles

Post by Cajun »

Is anyone running lift shackles on the rear w/o a body lift? If so, how much lift 1 1/2", 2"?

I have done the TB crank to level the front of my truck with the rear and was thinking of lifting the rear a little mostly for a more aggressive 4x4 like stance.
[size=75]03 ZR5 Crew Cab[/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

A lot of people do this. It's really up to you as to what size you want. I'd go with the 2" personally.
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
LonestarZ
Crew
Crew

Post by LonestarZ »

Would not recommend a longer shackle and further TBar crank. By adding a longer shackle you would need to near maxout your TBar crank which adds significant stress to the Ball joints, CV-Axles, and Shocks.

And putting shackles in the rear and not leveling your truck makes it look like crap.
[size=75]Dave

[url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?a=member&id=545]2002 ZR2 5spd[/url][/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

The rear of my truck is 2" higher than the front... you really think this looks like crap?

Pic
LonestarZ
Crew
Crew

Post by LonestarZ »

yeah.. especially with those rims.. I think you need to get rid of them.. I would be happy to take them off your hands for a modest fee. :lol:

*And in that pic your Blazer looks level.. probably due to the natural sag the Blazers have in the rear. ;)
[size=75]Dave

[url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?a=member&id=545]2002 ZR2 5spd[/url][/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

Lol, you still haven't gotten a set of ZR5's yet? How'd that link i sent you work out?
LonestarZ wrote: *And in that pic your Blazer looks level.. probably due to the natural sag the Blazers have in the rear. ;)
That's pretty much the point, over the span of the entire truck, 2" higher in the rear comes out to a .65º rake... it's really not enough to make it look dumb:

Illustrated
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I'm running a 2" lift set of shackles. I like a bit of rake on a pickup. :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
LonestarZ
Crew
Crew

Post by LonestarZ »

Jigg wrote:Lol, you still haven't gotten a set of ZR5's yet? How'd that link i sent you work out?

That's pretty much the point, over the span of the entire truck, 2" higher in the rear comes out to a .65º rake... it's really not enough to make it look dumb:
Some hits, but nothing worth while yet. Your Blazer unlike a truck will sag over time. The Z pickups do not sag in the rear. I even have a pic of my truck when I put on the shackles with no TBar lift around here somewhere and it looked like poop. Hence my earlier comment. :P
[size=75]Dave

Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

Personally I like a little bit of rake. It's only 5" or so of rake on a short bed reg cab pickup :lol: .

But thats just me.
Last edited by Snoman002 on Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

A truck needs a little bit of a rake so that when a load is applied, it doesn't look like a rocket ship getting ready to launch for the moon. I'm waiting on a BSW spring kit and right now the front of my truck is higher than the rear and it looks really funny.
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

BobbleSmitty wrote:Image
This is with 2" lift shackles and no Tbar crank.

I eventually switched to air shocks in place of the shackles b/c I don't have a rear sway bar and on the freeway when changing lanes it became a little wobblely. But if I were to go the shackle route again, I'd go with 1.5" lift instead of the 2".
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Thanks for all of the input guys.

Very nice ride BobbleSmitty.

I think a little rake would be nice to compensate for sag when loaded and for a little more aggressive stance.

I'll post again when complete.
[size=75]03 ZR5 Crew Cab[/size]