Steering wheel centering

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

kauaibuilt47
Crew
Crew

Steering wheel centering

Post by kauaibuilt47 »

So the shop finished my SAS (Ill post pics later).

Problem. The wheels point straight and the truck drives fine, BUT the steering wheel itself is about 60 deg off center. Is there a way to disconnect the steering shaft somewhere between the steering wheel and steering box and re-index the steering wheel. If so where do I do that and is there anything special I need?

I searched this one and dont know enough about steering to do it. I went outside to look but being cold, wet, and dark its a little hard to see anything.

Thanks for all the help guys and Ill post pics later...
[size=75]Never get into an argument with an idiot. They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.[/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

what set up are you running? how tall is your truck>? do you have high steer? pan hard par? stock steering box?

let me know on those and i can help
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
kauaibuilt47
Crew
Crew

Post by kauaibuilt47 »

88 D44's, 5.5" toy springs - spring over - moved about 2" forward, BTF high steer arms (full hi-steer), stock steering box.
[size=75]Never get into an argument with an idiot. They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.[/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

I think you may just have the same problem i did. My truck was to tall. When i first did my set up i went to get an alignment. They centered the steering and everything was good. But about 2 minutes down the road it as off again. It turns out my axle was moving side to side and screwing up the wheel. I added a pan hard bar to the set up to center the axle and got the wheel centered again. IT didnt move at all anymore and no bumb steer. this was with leaf springs. I didnt notice any issues offroad with it and for street use it was much better to drive. if this doesnt work have the shop check all your steering linkage up to the wheel something can be worn out and now your noticing because of large tires ect. good luck
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

kauaibuilt47
Crew
Crew

Post by kauaibuilt47 »

Now that you mention it, it does feel like the axle is moving laterally during turns/hitting bumps.

When I got to the shop to pick up the truck he was bolting the font axle up. It was pretty easy to move the front axle side to side - I got a VERY low spring rate.

I think Im gonna try it.

You think a drop pitman arm may help some?[/img]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

aswell the pitman arm will help your steering overall. But looking at your set up it looked just like mine. add the pan hard and you will be fine

cheers

kauaibuilt47
Crew
Crew

Post by kauaibuilt47 »

Im thinking about moving to a custom waggy spec HP44, trac bar, and sway bar. Im talking w/ my builder right now about prices and stuff.

May also move steering box to help some.

Ill let you know how it goes.
kauaibuilt47
Crew
Crew

Post by kauaibuilt47 »

UPDATE*****

So, they put in the 44044's and welded in a 1" spacer onto the hy-steer arm so the tie rod will clear the springs. Also added a Superlift (I think) 6" drop pitman arm and had the knuckles cut and turned to improve the d-shaft and steering angles.

- Steering wheel is about 25* off and bump steer is minimal.
- Theres a little wheel slop but mainly because the tie rod @ the axle is about 2" forward and 2" below the mount @ the pitman arm.
- Axle wandering is gone. Owner fired the guy that originally worked on my rig. Apparently his attention to detail was SEVERELY lacking. They boxed my shackles and squared up the spring hanger.

Overally Im loving it. Cant wait until I can afford to have the cut-out flares put on and some 37"shoes added....
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Kewl, sounds like it's working out. There's always some "adjustments" left to do. Sounds like some of the same I went through. I also had to get spacers on the hi-steer setup. Soon you will have a great daily driver/weekend warrior!
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]