Shocks! I need em!

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Shocks! I need em!

Post by mjmcdowell »

Hello all, I need new shocks, recomdations? suggestions? any input would be appreciated. stay safe, mjmcdowell (was thinking of Monroes)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I would suggest Bilstein Shocks if you plant to keep the truck more than three years.

Bilstien Shocks (installed) WOW , New shocks , Question about Bilstein shocks , I Need Shocks!

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

go with Bilstein Shocks
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

Bilstein might be the best but, fo the price I like my Rancho RS 5000. Everyone is going to have their opinion. Quite a few threads going around here about this topic.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

If you want top quality go with the Rancho RSX or Bilstein shocks. :D The Bilsteins will cost more, but they're not any better than the Rancho RSX's. :wink: Just for the record I'm not a Bilstein hater, and in fact I run the sport series on my SS and they are superior to anything else out there aside from high end tunable shocks like HAL's. :D If money is no concern then get the Bilsteins, but if you want to save a little $$$ and get the same performance then get the Rancho RSX's. :wink:

Steve
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Ditto on the Rancho RSX shocks. I've had them on for a year and love them.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:...The Bilsteins will cost more, but they're not any better than the Rancho RSX's. ...if you want to save a little $$$ and get the same performance then get the Rancho RSX's.
I disagree. Look to the design. The Bilsteins patented design includes no springs. Springs weaken over time. The Bilstein is a lifetime shock absorber. That doesn't mean that they will just keep replacing it, that means it will stand the test of time.
Also the monotube shock has all the oil in contact with the outer housing where the cooling takes place. The inner core of a twin tube shock absorber holds oil at a higher temperature and can be more prone to fade under prolonged use offroad.

I'll give the same disclaimer, I am not Rancho hater. I think they will work fine for most people. They are a cheaper alternative, not better or even close to the same.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

anybody have suggestions on which shocks offer the smoothest ride on the street?
the local utilities love digging up asphalt around here.... :x
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

I've Had The Rancho RS5000's On My Truck, They Were Ok But I Seemed To Kill Them Pretty Quick.
I Have The Bilsteins Now, I Like Them A Lot Better.
I Have Never Used The Rancho RSX's So I Can't Comment On Them.
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

crew cab sonoma wrote:anybody have suggestions on which shocks offer the smoothest ride on the street?
Check out the Blistein website. I think they offer the best of both worlds. Any shock is a huge improvement over the .99 stock shocks.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I've been running the Monroe's for the past 3-4 years or so, but I switched out the rear shocks last night from the Monroe's to the Bilsteins To my amazment, the Monroes were still quite functional. But with the torture they have been through I figured it was time to change them out. Switching the fronts out tonight.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:
killian96ss wrote:...The Bilsteins will cost more, but they're not any better than the Rancho RSX's. ...if you want to save a little $$$ and get the same performance then get the Rancho RSX's.
I disagree. Look to the design. The Bilsteins patented design includes no springs. Springs weaken over time. The Bilstein is a lifetime shock absorber. That doesn't mean that they will just keep replacing it, that means it will stand the test of time.
:lol: I knew if someone would disagree it would be HenryJ. :? Your post seems to be based on marketing hype and not real world performance tests. I have been using Bilsteins for a long time and I can assure you they are not the superior design that you speak of. :roll: Don't get me wrong they are excellent shocks, but I have had a few Bilstein failures in the past (seal failures) and have yet to experience a failure with my Rancho RSX's even though they now have over 80k miles on them. :wink: Have you ever run a set of the RSX's or are you just basing your post on what Bilsteins site says? :? I have used both and that's why I said the Bilsteins aren't any better than the RSX's. :D I realize that both of our posts are merely just opinions, but it is unfair to say that the Bilsteins are better simply because their site says so. :roll: :wink:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Real world testing. I have a set of Bilstein's with 160k on them. Still serviceable, but weak.
The Rancho RSX's lasted two years on a fleet vehicle. I have also run Monroe magnum, Gabriel, Reflex. Gas Grande, and a few more.
Don't give in to the hype.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

So would you agree that any shock can last a long time or fail in a short amount of time no matter who makes them? I have had Bilsteins fail in less than 20k miles and have yet to see any problems with my RSX's. I never believe marketing hype like you see on Bilsteins web site or Ranchos web site, but rather base my opinions on how they have performed for me and people I know. My only real point here is that we are both just stating our opinions based on our individual experiences, but it is unfair to say that one shock is better than the other just because you had a bad experience with the RSX's. I still believe the Rancho RSX's will give you the same performance as the Bilsteins, except they cost less which is good if your are on a budget. :D Like I said before if money is no object then get the Bilsteins. :wink: Oh and one more thing don't believe marketing hype! :lol:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Any shock can fail. I came up when all OEM shocks were recommended to changed at 30K or when they failed the "bounce" test. For those of you that think AIDs has always been around or that Michael Jackson was always white, a bounce test was when you leaned down hard on a fender and let it go. If, it did more than return to it's original position and stopped, it was bad. Like make another cycle or two.

My OEM Bilstiens were as close to their original condition on my '97 ZR2 at 65K as they were when I drove it off the lot and it did have some very hard wheeling when we needed an unknown undercover ride.

The others may be very good but, I am redneck about my Bilstiens (stepping off of soap box).Image
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I have 5 vehicles and I have bilsteins only on my crew. I got them put on when I had my superlift installed on my crew and my crew is the smoothest ride of all the vehicles.

2003 S10 crewcab--My truck
2002 Suzuki XL_7 ---Wife's car SUV
2001 Huyndai Accent--- Daugther's car
2000 S10 extended cab---Son's truck
1993 GMC Rally Van Conversion---Boat towing vehicle

Bilsteins all the way :thumb:
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Research the designs as I did. There is a difference.

Make up you own mind. :oops: you already did? :lol:

I would say of the "mainstream" shocks that are available through the parts stores here, the Monroe Gas Magnums are holding up really well. They make the price of Bilsteins look really affordable though.
They ride a bit firm, but the guys seem to prefer them to some of the others I have tried.
My fleet testing is definitely "worst condition testing". 90% offroad on terribly maintained roads. Gravel, shale, broken basalt, round river rock, water crossings, and mostly when it is hot and dry. Half of them run around overloaded. Some do see winter service. OEM shock rarely make a year, with the exception of the vehicles equipped with an offroad package and premium shocks.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

I have had no problems with my Rancho's, RSX's in the front and 5000's in the rear.

That said they arn't perfect. I have found the RSX's to be too stiff when the t-bars are chanked. Granted that was when I was driving on 5 miles of bad dirt road a day. I will say though that they held up to that fine for three or four years, then then sat for two years and now function fine on the Bravada (which seems to like them better than the truck with the cranked bars).

The 5000's in the back are about 7 years old now and are fine. My only complaint with them was they tended to get VERY stiff in the winter, this was noticed due to the MUCH better ride for five or ten minutes after washing the truck at a pay-and-spray (in which the shock was sprayed heavily).

I can't compare to the Bilstiens though as I have never tired them. I also can't fully comment on the ride with the RSX's on the Bravada, the 18 month old cheapy shocks on the rear are so bad now as to prevent a complete analysis of the performance.

Anyways, I hear some guys like the Edelbrock IAS's.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]