Torsion Bar and Shackle Lift Advice Needed

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

mattfu
Crew
Crew

Torsion Bar and Shackle Lift Advice Needed

Post by mattfu »

i need a little more height out of my 02 crew , im thinking a 1-3" torsion bar lift on the front and 2" shackles in the back , any advice on problems or changes in ride and handling that i may notice? i know i will have to add spacers to my tow hooks , but otherwise have any of you guys run into other problems with this setup???
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

First off, welcome to the forum :D

A tb crank might get you a realistic 1.5" and 1" after settling in. Spacers on your tow hooks would be fine if, you never have to be pulled out of a bad situation. Our frames are a little prone to serious damage if, yanked out of a hole from any angle except straight ahead or straight back. They is a bunch of info on similar questions if, you try to use the forum's Search feature :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

welcome!!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

f9k9 wrote:First off, welcome to the forum :D

Spacers on your tow hooks would be fine if, you never have to be pulled out of a bad situation. Our frames are a little prone to serious damage if, yanked out of a hole from any angle except straight ahead or straight back.
I disagree, BDS supplies tow hook spacers with their bodylift along with grade 8 hardware. I called them about the strength of the spacers and the hardware and they assured me that the tow hooks would be as stout as when originally mounted. I have the spacers and they are made really well. It's really the only connection to the frame we have upfront as well. I still think it's a good recovery point from the front IMO.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

ace wrote:I called them about the strength of the spacers and the hardware and they assured me that the tow hooks would be as stout as when originally mounted.
Did you expect them to produce any answer but, what they provided?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I don't think the strength of the spacers or bolts is in question. It is the frame that gets twisted, bent and torn.
Well supported the hooks will bend too. That may happen before the rest of the parts give. You can upgrade to 3/4 ton hooks that are beefier, or the first gen hooks which seem to hold up better from what I have seen.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

HenryJ wrote:I don't think the strength of the spacers or bolts is in question. It is the frame that gets twisted, bent and torn.
Well supported the hooks will bend too. That may happen before the rest of the parts give. You can upgrade to 3/4 ton hooks that are beefier, or the first gen hooks which seem to hold up better from what I have seen.
I agree. The frame seems to be the weak link.

You can go the route several of us have gone and get some 1st generation tow hooks that mount vertically, which eliminates the need to buy spacers. My torsion bars are cranked, and I have 2" lift shackles on my truck. The ride seems a bit bumpy up front, but that is probably due in part to my ES9000's (ProComp shocks). I haven't really noticed any different in driving with the shackles and without. They do seem to make a big difference in articulation. It's pretty hard get one of my back wheels off the ground now. :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

Don't go over 1.5" on the front, and DON'T buy one of the t-bar lift kits as that is just to much, you can get more than you want (in the long run) with the stock stuff.

I noticed a rougher ride and alot more balljoint wear on my 92 with the t-bars cranked.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Snoman002 wrote:DON'T buy one of the t-bar lift kits
This is good advice. Our front suspension does not like being stretched :lol:
--Walt
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

f9k9 wrote:
ace wrote:I called them about the strength of the spacers and the hardware and they assured me that the tow hooks would be as stout as when originally mounted.
Did you expect them to produce any answer but, what they provided?
You know re-reading what you wrote I do see where you are focusing on the frame being tweaked rather than the spacers. My bad, I was merely trying to say the spacers are strong. :cheers:
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Glad you overlooked my lack of social graces :wink:

I think my 2 gen hooks and one piece grille guard helps to reinforce the frame horns but, would still be cautious if, I was making or being recovered from a lateral angle.
mattfu
Crew
Crew

Post by mattfu »

thanks guys , maybe ill rethink what im going to do in the front , i will not get pulled out by my tow hooks often so thats not the main problem, my truk is a daily driver and i dont want to lift it then find multiple problems with suspension, ride, and premature wear.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

mattfu wrote:thanks guys , maybe ill rethink what im going to do in the front , i will not get pulled out by my tow hooks often so thats not the main problem, my truk is a daily driver and i dont want to lift it then find multiple problems with suspension, ride, and premature wear.
Your best, most trouble free option for fitting larger tires or lifting the truck is a 2" body lift. No change in performance/handling, and no suspension modifications.
--Walt
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

why would he need tow hook spacers if he in not doing a BL ? or did i miss something ?
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

You know I missed that part. You're right, tow hook spacers aren't necessary without a BL. :lol:
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Walt wrote:You know I missed that part. You're right, tow hook spacers aren't necessary without a BL. :lol:
Maybe he just wanted a 2" THL
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

f9k9 wrote:
Walt wrote:You know I missed that part. You're right, tow hook spacers aren't necessary without a BL. :lol:
Maybe he just wanted a 2" THL
Ok, I must be having a stupid moment.....what's a THL? :?
--Walt
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...."tow hook lift"??!!??!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
mattfu
Crew
Crew

Post by mattfu »

ive seen lift kits that come with new shackles and new torsion keys that change the indexing of the keys themselfs, allowing for 1-3 travel instead of maxing out the stock keys , any ideas guys?? , im going to do a body lift first , but maybe new torsion keys and shackles would be a reliable addition ??? feedback??
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

mattfu wrote:ive seen lift kits that come with new shackles and new torsion keys that change the indexing of the keys themselfs, allowing for 1-3 travel instead of maxing out the stock keys , any ideas guys?? , im going to do a body lift first , but maybe new torsion keys and shackles would be a reliable addition ??? feedback??

The new torsion keys are only going to put your front suspension at angles that will speed up it's destruction that merely raising the stock units will do. 1" maybe 1.5" increase in hgt. will be accomplished through a TB crank. Some trucks will will have the inner CV boot come loose with that alone while, others will not. It seems to be an individual truck related issue.

If you are going to tow then go with the spring pack (found in the mod section). Shackles will give you lift in the rear and additional articulation offroad.

Generally, the very best you can expect is 1.5" lift fore and aft with shackles and a realistic TB crank.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

f9k9 wrote:
mattfu wrote:ive seen lift kits that come with new shackles and new torsion keys that change the indexing of the keys themselfs, allowing for 1-3 travel instead of maxing out the stock keys , any ideas guys?? , im going to do a body lift first , but maybe new torsion keys and shackles would be a reliable addition ??? feedback??

The new torsion keys are only going to put your front suspension at angles that will speed up it's destruction that merely raising the stock units will do. 1" maybe 1.5" increase in hgt. will be accomplished through a TB crank. Some trucks will will have the inner CV boot come loose with that alone while, others will not. It seems to be an individual truck related issue.

If you are going to tow then go with the spring pack (found in the mod section). Shackles will give you lift in the rear and additional articulation offroad.

Generally, the very best you can expect is 1.5" lift fore and aft with shackles and a realistic TB crank.
This is good advice, especially concerning the torsion bar keys. I've had CV boots come loose and sling grease before, but I have an arrangement with my dealership, so I don't have to pay $116 to get a new boot put on.
--Walt
mattfu
Crew
Crew

Post by mattfu »

so my best bet is to get the BL on soon , then leave the TB crank alone , and spend the extra money to lift it right, the TB crank is tempting but i guess i have changed out at least 5 cv joints on other trucks, i should know better, thanks all
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Concerning the TB crank, your results may vary. Some people never experience problems with a moderate crank, while others do. The boot can be replaced, or you can use a large hose clamp and repack it with grease.

The body lift would be your best bet to lift the truck as it won't affect your suspension at all, whereas cranking torsion bars can result in a rougher ride.

Something else to think about if you want to run larger tires is cutting the fenders. With a body lift alone you will almost certainly rub 31x10.5x15's, but if you do some trimming to your fenders, and repaint or liner the rocker panels, you could run up to 33's.
--Walt
mattfu
Crew
Crew

Post by mattfu »

so judging by everything ive read here , tb crank is the only cheap way to raise up the front end? i think i will take the advice of cutting the fenders and adding aftermarket flares of some kind. but i would like to have the body lift done first . I need more ideas from you guys , what will i get away with if i do 2"bl , shackles , small tb crank, and wheel spacers ? 31's presumably ??? thx
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

mattfu wrote:so judging by everything ive read here , tb crank is the only cheap way to raise up the front end? i think i will take the advice of cutting the fenders and adding aftermarket flares of some kind. but i would like to have the body lift done first . I need more ideas from you guys , what will i get away with if i do 2"bl , shackles , small tb crank, and wheel spacers ? 31's presumably ??? thx
31s........Maybe with no spacers and stock wheels or stock backspacing (6")
on the front. Change the BS on the front and stock tires can rub. The BL and 30s will probably work with stock rims and have the highest chance of success w/o a BFH or a sawzall.

All trucks are different. What works for one.......may not with an identical setup.