General Lift/Tire Question

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

jddencklau

General Lift/Tire Question

Post by jddencklau »

Hi, I'm new here... Nice forum, lots of good information.

I have an 02 Sonoma Crewcab... and like everyone else, I really dont like the ride height. My question is, what size tire can I put on the stock rims after a 2" body lift? I am looking the the BFG A/T for a tire if that makes a difference...

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Welcome aboard!

How about a little more about what you plan to do with your truck. That can make a difference in tire choice and size. It helps to know what conditions you frequent and what level you take your rig to.

30x9.50-15 would probably be a popular choice.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

31X10.5x15's are also a popular choice, you you'll have some rubbing on the frame with the stock wheels, and possible rubbing on the rear of the front fender when going over bumps while turning. That can usually be solved with a BFH on the bottom rear of the front fenders. 30x9.5's would be safer though--less chance of rubbing. I put 31's on mine and didn't rub at all after the Body Lift and Torsion Bar crank, but your results may, and probably will vary :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
jddencklau

Post by jddencklau »

Well, as to what conditions I frequent... I do not go off road as much as I used to because I got into a couple of sticky situations due to my ride height, but being New Mexico, there is a lot of sand and dirt, not alot of mud...

I am looking at tire sizes and a lift because I need new tires, and want to do both at the same time... I was also thinking the 30x9.5-15 would be good, but had no idea what kind of rubbing issues there would be... Is there a possibility that 31x10.5-15 would not rub with some new rims with less backspacing???
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

The stock wheels have 6" of backspacing, anything less and 31's will almost certainly rub. The problem is the rear of the front fender, behind the front tires. Less backspacing will only make rubbing worse. F9K9 has wheels with 4.75" of backspacing, and he ran 30x9.5x15's with a 2" BL without any problems (I think).

If you're looking to go with 31's, I'd stick with stock wheels, or a 7" wide wheel with 6" of backspacing.
--Walt
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Welcome to the forum jddencklau. :wave:

I have the 2" BL, 3/4" t-bar crank, 1" rear spacers, 31" tires and the only places my tires rub is on the front frame area and a little bit on the sway bar. It really isn't all that bad and I have gotten used to it. :wink:

Steve
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

killian96ss wrote:Welcome to the forum jddencklau. :wave:

I have the 2" BL, 3/4" t-bar crank, 1" rear spacers, 31" tires and the only places my tires rub is on the front frame area and a little bit on the sway bar. It really isn't all that bad and I have gotten used to it. :wink:

Steve
Steve's results are close to mine except mine didn't rub on the sway bar. When I added 2" spacers to the front, they rubbed everything :)
--Walt
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The only part of my tires that rub on the front sway bar are the large raised white letters on inside of my MT/R's. :lol: If those huge letters weren't there it definitely wouldn't rub. :wink:

Steve
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

killian96ss wrote:The only part of my tires that rub on the front sway bar are the large raised white letters on inside of my MT/R's. :lol: If those huge letters weren't there it definitely wouldn't rub. :wink:

Steve
:roflmao:
--Walt
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

welcome :D
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd