leaf spring helpers

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

leaf spring helpers

Post by Warnoffroad »

How long do they take to put on? Will it give the rear of my truck extra lift? I have a 650lb atv to put in the bed, will they get rid of rear sag? :?:
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

Don't know if they will totally eliminate the sag, but will help alot. Unloaded with them all the way tight,... they will give the rear a little lift,... about 1" or so. They took all of 15 minutes to install them... They are real easy to do. If your looking for NO sag the, I'd get the upgraded version,... these that I installed handle additional 550 lbs. They do make better ones,.. 1000 plus... but I think for the cost, you'll be happy with the ones I used under the mod section. Hel-550's...

Good luck!

Steven
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
John

Post by John »

Here's my thoughts. We've covered this subject before, but probably before you signed on. What I have is an actual add-a-leaf. It's a short one that installs in your spring pack and takes about an hour to install. You drop the rear axle, drop the center bolt, and install the new leaf directly above the lowest spring. Then just bolt it back together. Bonus is that it looks completely stock and only cost $26 from 4WP. Made by Superlift. It raised the rear about 0.5" after the springs settled. Works well to control some of that sag.
I WILL have 35's on this thing sooner or later.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Thanx, John! Heres the thread from the old forum: add-a-leaf?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

John wrote:Here's my thoughts. We've covered this subject before, but probably before you signed on. What I have is an actual add-a-leaf. It's a short one that installs in your spring pack and takes about an hour to install. You drop the rear axle, drop the center bolt, and install the new leaf directly above the lowest spring. Then just bolt it back together. Bonus is that it looks completely stock and only cost $26 from 4WP. Made by Superlift. It raised the rear about 0.5" after the springs settled. Works well to control some of that sag.

Do you have a link or somthing so i can get the correct one? How many more lbs can i put in the bed of my truck?
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

warnoffroad wrote:
John wrote:Here's my thoughts. We've covered this subject before, but probably before you signed on. What I have is an actual add-a-leaf. It's a short one that installs in your spring pack and takes about an hour to install. You drop the rear axle, drop the center bolt, and install the new leaf directly above the lowest spring. Then just bolt it back together. Bonus is that it looks completely stock and only cost $26 from 4WP. Made by Superlift. It raised the rear about 0.5" after the springs settled. Works well to control some of that sag.

Do you have a link or somthing so i can get the correct one? How many more lbs can i put in the bed of my truck?

You can't carry more than what the truck is spec. This just helps carry the load with less sag. I noticed our trucks sag when there is a small load in the back. So this will help keep the truck level when you carry stuff. Since your ATV is so heavy, this will def. help. IMHO, the 550 is probably the best for us as the 1000 might be an overkill and make the ride really rough.

http://www.thebestbuddies.com/pic/modin ... helper.htm

That is the article steven wrote.

I'm looking into these as well as I will be carrying my Dirtbike with me and I was being flashed on the highway cause people thought I was using my high beams when I was not. I'm wondering if this will help with the wheel hop also.

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i would do the AAL
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Steven wrote:Don't know if they will totally eliminate the sag, but will help alot. Unloaded with them all the way tight,... they will give the rear a little lift,... about 1" or so. They took all of 15 minutes to install them... They are real easy to do. If your looking for NO sag the, I'd get the upgraded version,... these that I installed handle additional 550 lbs. They do make better ones,.. 1000 plus... but I think for the cost, you'll be happy with the ones I used under the mod section. Hel-550's...

Good luck!

Steven

Ill just get the 550's, if I can get rid of 2 or 3 inches of sag ill be happy. If they are all the way loose, will it add any lift to my rear? And how much stiffer will the ride be?
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

I noticed no difference in ride difference. I installed them cause of the camper tongue weight. When I was hauling a 17' trailer, and the dogs,... I didnt have to much sag,... When I upgraded to the 19' trailer, the tongue weight was much more,... and I saw a noticable sag,... Added the springs and the sag went away.... Still dropped a a little,... but not more than the 17' trailer did.

No ride difference from what I noticed,... And if all your doing is hauling your quad,... I think these will do the trick for you!.

good luck!

Steven
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Thanks for your help, I just ordered them from 4 wheel parts.
cwdavis

Post by cwdavis »

Stephen, Did the spring mod help with wheel hop?
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

Since I had on the larger (31x10.5) tires,... I never had wheel hop. With them.... Not once.

really will all the mods,... IF I mashed the pedel,... I would just light the tires up... I NEVER had wheel before the larger tires either.

Hope it helps you

Steven