lift (finally)

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

pbeachcruzer
Regular
Regular

lift (finally)

Post by pbeachcruzer »

ok guys, i've finally decided to bite the bullet and get a lift. since i will never do half the stuff you guys do, im thinking of only getting the 2" sus. lift. will i still be able to clear 31" tires? and if any mods are nec. what are they.
flowmaster duals, air raid intake, t.b. riser. 1.3"spacers in back.

lift with kick a55 tires to come soon
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'd probably NOT go for the 2" suspension lift.

I have heard nothing but problems with them. If you only want 2" go Body lift, IMO.

I'll see if I can find some of the threads that talk of the problems (CV joints, CV boots, balljoints, etc.)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

i definately wouldnt get the 2"suspension lift. if you are only looking for 2", save some money and get add-a-leafs or shackles in the back, and crank your torsions bars. itll cost you 50 bucks tops. thats all the 2" lift is, the re-indexers that are supposed to help you lift the front arent worth the hassle. you are going to have problems either way.

when i lifted my truck, i got aal's first, then saved money and put the BDS 5" lift on. im much happier with this set up.
[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292383801]2001 BlaZeR2 with all the fixin's[/url]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i assume you are talking about the Super Lift 2"????

FYI: just know that they dont make it for our trucks. not that you cant make it fit

and yes, like they said, they SL2 isnt that great of a lift. for the money you are going to spend, you could do AAL's, t-bars, and the 2"BL and get an easy 3 to 4" of lift and still all that wouldnt costs as much as the SL2

and even if you did the SL2, yes you can put 31's on, but only on stock rims which means you will rub the frame
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
pbeachcruzer
Regular
Regular

Post by pbeachcruzer »

the whole point was to avoid spending the godawful amount for the 5" cause i was planning on trading in for a colorado, and i refuse to put a body lift on. but after further thought i decided that trading in my truck for a colorado after only 8 months was a bit hasty. so i am sucking it up and going for the gusto. only problem now is what rims and tires i wanna get. i really like the look of warnoffroads, but not the rims. would a deeper rim (less backspacing) cause clearance issues if i do a little fender trimming?

quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

You can make anything fit with enough cutting. :lol:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

pbeachcruzer wrote:the whole point was to avoid spending the godawful amount for the 5" cause i was planning on trading in for a colorado, and i refuse to put a body lift on. but after further thought i decided that trading in my truck for a colorado after only 8 months was a bit hasty. so i am sucking it up and going for the gusto. only problem now is what rims and tires i wanna get. i really like the look of warnoffroads, but not the rims. would a deeper rim (less backspacing) cause clearance issues if i do a little fender trimming?

The more BS you have the less they will rub. I wish i had 4.5" BS instead of 4".
seapahn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by seapahn »

Let me add to the "don't do it" recommendations for the 2" SuperLift.

Either do the 2" body lift or the 5" suspension. Unless you don't take your truck offroad or you don't mind changing ball joints and steering components every year (well, really depends on how much you drive and use the truck).
seapahn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by seapahn »

quickbiker wrote:You can make anything fit with enough cutting. :lol:

Hey Quickbiker, LOVE that torsion bar relocating setup you got going on. VERY slick :shock: :thumb:
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

seapahn wrote:
quickbiker wrote:You can make anything fit with enough cutting. :lol:

Hey Quickbiker, LOVE that torsion bar relocating setup you got going on. VERY slick :shock: :thumb:

Thanks. You could get my website on angelfart to work? IT's been wacky. Yea, that's a great mod, a necesity with the TM lift, IMO. I'm just glad someone went throught the pains of developing it.

There is some great stuff out there for our trucks, but it takes allot of research to find!
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
EDWRDM
Regular
Regular

Lifting my ZR-5 for 31's

Post by EDWRDM »

I want to lift my ZR-5 so that I can run 31" tires and rims similar to what was on my 2000 ZR-2. How much lift do I need to acomplish this? I have been following the threads here and come to the conclusion that the suspension lift will change things and require more maintenance for ball joints and steering arms. I am also concerned about the ZR-5's factory installed side step bars if I do a body lift. Has anyone that has done a body lift had to relocate the side steps? :roll:

2002 S10 ZR5, Yellow
pbeachcruzer
Regular
Regular

Post by pbeachcruzer »

ive been really looking over the 7" ts instructions. piece of cake although its not a true "no cut" lift. there is some minor trimming of the lower control arm sockets (i guess thats what there called) but everything else is straight bolt in. the $1200 is just for the front end though. then you have to get flip kit for the rear, 2" lift blocks for the rear, shocks, brake line extensions, and skid plate. all together its about $1700, but i think its still worth it. should be getting it later this week or early next. promise to take lots of pics and notes of any trouble. will post all. cross your fingers boys. :? i just hope i can fit my 17" rims and 265/70r17 (31.3" overall).

Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

pbeachcruzer wrote:ive been really looking over the 7" ts instructions. piece of cake although its not a true "no cut" lift. there is some minor trimming of the lower control arm sockets (i guess thats what there called) but everything else is straight bolt in. the $1200 is just for the front end though. then you have to get flip kit for the rear, 2" lift blocks for the rear, shocks, brake line extensions, and skid plate. all together its about $1700, but i think its still worth it. should be getting it later this week or early next. promise to take lots of pics and notes of any trouble. will post all. cross your fingers boys. :? i just hope i can fit my 17" rims and 265/70r17 (31.3" overall).

You ordered it? Nice! Please do take pics of the pieces before you install them. Also, take pics of any trimming you have to do. If the trimming still allows you to return to stock, that's a bonus.

Do they sell the other parts(shocks, brakeline extensions and skidplate)?

One last thing, do they have a 4link type bolt-on kit for the rear that works with this kit? Find out and get instructions while your at it.

Good Luck,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I'm thinking that at 7" of lift, driveshaft length, at least on the rear, might be a problem. I'll be curious to see how this works.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

The rear will not be a problem on our trucks at all. The drive shaft is so long and built very good. The front one is what will be the problem. I would like to see how it's done myself. I bet the kit comes with a front drive shaft, something like Hobbie's shaft and maybe a different crossmember, cause that may be in the way with more lift.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

quickbiker wrote:The rear will not be a problem on our trucks at all. The drive shaft is so long and built very good. The front one is what will be the problem. I would like to see how it's done myself. I bet the kit comes with a front drive shaft, something like Hobbie's shaft and maybe a different crossmember, cause that may be in the way with more lift.

Now that I think about it a little more, you're right about the front shaft. Also, how about angles on the U-joints on the driveshaft or does the front shaft use something else like CV's (I haven't really looked yet)?
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

GaryH wrote:
quickbiker wrote:The rear will not be a problem on our trucks at all. The drive shaft is so long and built very good. The front one is what will be the problem. I would like to see how it's done myself. I bet the kit comes with a front drive shaft, something like Hobbie's shaft and maybe a different crossmember, cause that may be in the way with more lift.

Now that I think about it a little more, you're right about the front shaft. Also, how about angles on the U-joints on the driveshaft or does the front shaft use something else like CV's (I haven't really looked yet)?

Probably you will get a spacer(or nothing), which is a cheaper solution to getting an extended drive shaft. It's kind of sad we really don't know what to expect. :roll: Thanks for being the first one! :D

Cheers,

Con
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

GaryH wrote:

The front of the front shaft is u joint, not sure what is under the boot in the rear, never looked. I know I wouldn't want to stress it with more lift than I have now without a new custom driveshaft.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

The 2" SL lift wont fit on our trucks! But rough country has a 2 inch lift that has a rear lift and shocks. I wounder if its the same set up? http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/GM_S10.htm It's under the TM lift and above the fabtech (second up form the bottom).
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Anything made from 95 on will fit our trucks.