Manik Brushguard with lift?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Manik Brushguard with lift?

Post by ace »

Will a brushguard fit with a 2" bodylift? They look like they attach where the tow hooks are and I know they get removed during the lift process.
Last edited by ace on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I think it needs to be modded to fit
Last edited by jeff024 on Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

jeff024 wrote:I think it needs to be dodded to fit
yup!!!! what he said!!!!! have one on mine!!! "made it fit!!"
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Regular S-10 brushguards work on our CCs. ZR2 ones have to be modded to work because the front of their frames are diffrent than ours. Mine is off a ZR2 and had to be modded. You could mount spacers out to thick bar stock to raise the brush guard 2" but, spacers, tow hooks and brush guards will really do a number on your frame if you actually use them as recovery points.

It would be better to have a welding shop modify the guard to raise it the 2", IMO.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

Thanks for the reply's. I still definitely want a place for recovery in the front without any frame damage after putting a brush guard on (after the bodylift for that matter). I wonder if there is a brush guard that attaches other than the tow hook mounts. I guess I'll keep looking.
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

ace wrote:Thanks for the reply's. I still definitely want a place for recovery in the front without any frame damage after putting a brush guard on (after the bodylift for that matter). I wonder if there is a brush guard that attaches other than the tow hook mounts. I guess I'll keep looking.
My second generation S-10 hooks are welded to my brush guard and since they drop below the valance they work well.

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

It looks like your brush guard fits right where the tow hooks were without modding the airdam. Did you do any cutting or did you have the guard modded to still connect through those openings?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Don't let them scare you off of using the tow hook mounting points. That is the sturdiest point for mounting at the front of the frame.

The brush guard will need to be modified to fit with a body lift.
Each will have differences in how to best accomplish this.

If you are wanting a push bar that is what you should shop for. They will be more likely to include upper and lower mounts. Manik comes to mind.

Brush bars are less rigid and many times do not include upper reinforcement.

What are you planning to do with this bar? If you are just wanting to mount some lights. The Westin Safari bar works pretty well , is relatively inexpensive and is easily raised for use after a bodylift. Or you could go with a pre-runner bar that mounts to the bumper. Mark (AZS10Crew) Has a good example.

If a brush bar is what you need, the GM bar (aluminum) , Westin are some that I have seen and look pretty good , I don't know what would be need to raise them though. Reed (f9k9) may be able to fill you in on the GM bar.

For a push bar , there may not be much of a choice. Manik makes some bars for law enforcement. I don't know how hard they would be to modify for the body lifted truck. I considered one of those, but opted for a front hitch instead. I have a push attachment. It is about an 18" long 2" bar with a plate in the end that has a 10" long 3" thick rubber bumper attached.
I have yet to use it. I find myself pulling more than pushing.

While you are looking at a manufacturers website go to the install instructions. They are usually in the support section. Download the instructions. They may include detailed drawings , and pictures which will help in deciding the ease of modifying for the lift. Westin is a good resource. That is one reason I have purchased their products in the past.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

The tow hooks are located where they would be withoutout being welded to the guard. There is no modding of the valance. The hooks were welded to the guatd to reassure the welder that was worried about strength. The guard is actually attached to the frame via the 2nd gen tow hook bolts.

It actually came out pretty well, I think. I don't know much about Manick but, I do have experience with WAAG brush guards. Whatever you decide, keep an eye out on ebay or ZR2.com. I got mine shipped for $200 and the welding was under $30, the hooks were $10 and the rattle can bed liner paint was around 13.
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

HenryJ wrote:Don't let them scare you off of using the tow hook mounting points. That is the sturdiest point for mounting at the front of the frame.

The brush guard will need to be modified to fit with a body lift.
Each will have differences in how to best accomplish this.

If you are wanting a push bar that is what you should shop for. They will be more likely to include upper and lower mounts. Manik comes to mind.

Brush bars are less rigid and many times do not include upper reinforcement.

What are you planning to do with this bar? If you are just wanting to mount some lights. The Westin Safari bar works pretty well , is relatively inexpensive and is easily raised for use after a bodylift. Or you could go with a pre-runner bar that mounts to the bumper. Mark (AZS10Crew) Has a good example.

If a brush bar is what you need, the GM bar (aluminum) , Westin are some that I have seen and look pretty good , I don't know what would be need to raise them though. Reed (f9k9) may be able to fill you in on the GM bar.

For a push bar , there may not be much of a choice. Manik makes some bars for law enforcement. I don't know how hard they would be to modify for the body lifted truck. I considered one of those, but opted for a front hitch instead. I have a push attachment. It is about an 18" long 2" bar with a plate in the end that has a 10" long 3" thick rubber bumper attached.
I have yet to use it. I find myself pulling more than pushing.

While you are looking at a manufacturers website go to the install instructions. They are usually in the support section. Download the instructions. They may include detailed drawings , and pictures which will help in deciding the ease of modifying for the lift. Westin is a good resource. That is one reason I have purchased their products in the past.
Thanks HJ.

The one from Westin I'm seriously considering is this one. Somebody probably has this one and modified it to fit with the bodylift.
http://www.westinautomotive.com/photogr ... 101WPR.JPG
I want it for the look mainly but I still want a place to connect for recovery up front.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ace wrote:...The one from Westin I'm seriously considering is this one. ...CHSM101WPR.JPG...
That one looks like a good choice. It does not mount to the recovery hook mounts, therefore it will not interfere with them.

Installation.pdf

If you check out the lower mounting bracket (Figure 2) There is room to drill new holes 2" lower.
Should be easy as drilling four new holes and bolt it on. You may need to trim off the top 2" of the bracket to clear the mount it attaches to.The only thing that could dash these plans would be if the uprights line up underneath the frame rails. That would require the services of a fabricator to revise the upright lower mounting points. Sure looks to be close though. You may only need to modify the bracket. The upper mounts should not be affected by the lift.
Keep in mind that the upper mounts are raised by blocks and will never be as sturdy as they were before the lift.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I was going to order the westin but then I ordered one off ebay and now I understand that it does mount where the tow hooks are. Can I still modify it to fit ya think?
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

All sorts of lift on mine, kept the brush guard. I dont like I needed any modifications on it, but I dont remember either, so...
[size=59][color=red]| '03 CC | WESTIN SPORTSMEN BRUSH GUARD | KC DAYLIGHTERS | WESTIN NERF BARS | WESTIN SPORTSMEN TAILLIGHT GUARDS | 6" SUPERLIFT SL |2" PA BL | 35" THORNBIRDS ON 15" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS |[/color][/size]
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

Holy $#!* Somecrew is it really you!!!!! I figured you sold the crew.
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

Haha, nah, I'm gonna run this s-10 till it dies baby!
[size=59][color=red]| '03 CC | WESTIN SPORTSMEN BRUSH GUARD | KC DAYLIGHTERS | WESTIN NERF BARS | WESTIN SPORTSMEN TAILLIGHT GUARDS | 6" SUPERLIFT SL |2" PA BL | 35" THORNBIRDS ON 15" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS |[/color][/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I got the brushguard finally from my ebay purchase. It's a one piece manik and it's for a zr2. I was able to mount it but I really don't see how I could modify it to fit with a 2" bodylift. I got an awesome price on it but now I'm considering selling it for one that i know I can modify to fit with a bodylift. Does anyone know of one for sure that's not too hard to modify to fit with the bodylift?
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

what makes it not fit well?
couldnt you have someone weld it to fit right?
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

jeff024 wrote:what makes it not fit well?
couldnt you have someone weld it to fit right?
I will take some pictures so I can show you guys. I think it would be difficult to weld something the way the brackets are mounted and configured.
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I'm going to sell the brushguard. It's for a ZR2 so I'm probably going to post it on zr2.com and ebay. I spoke to the people at Manik and they said it will lose a lot of strength if I modified the bracket etc. which I kind of agree. This thing is built very strong. It's a true brushguard/pushbar. It even has rubber protecting the front of it. It also comes with lights. If anyone knows somebody in the Chicago area looking for a one piece manik brushguard for a ZR2 let me know. Any idea what price I should sell it for? The manik site says the retail is $600. This is used but in great shape.