ZR5OnIt Got 6" On It!

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ZR5OnIt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ZR5OnIt Got 6" On It!

Post by ZR5OnIt »

Got lifted. Superlifted!
Before:

and after:

More pics in the album.

Edited to use forum resized photos-HJ
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Looks Great!!!!Image
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

:rock:
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

LOoks good but someones gonna get yelled at for the pics being to BIG
:hide:

:leave:

EDIT=someone fixed them :)
Last edited by jeff024 on Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
02bluezr2
Regular
Regular

Post by 02bluezr2 »

what size tires ya running? Looks GREAT.
[size=75]Whatever you do take care of you shoes[/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

looks great!!!!!! real tires and flares , too!!!!!!!!!
:thumb: :rock:
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

jeff024 wrote:LOoks good but someones gonna get yelled at for the pics being to BIG
:hide:
Maybe not. He's a newbie!
ZR50nIT your CREW looks great! :thumb: welcome to the superlift club :cheers:

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

man another super-crew
truck looks sic man. put some info in your signature line, lets hear what ya got!
:D
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:thumb:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

dang thats a nice looking rig :)
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

:yikes: Only one word describes that, WOW!!!!!!
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
ZR5OnIt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Guys

Post by ZR5OnIt »

Thanks for all the props guys, course I'm mad at you for making me spend all this money :wink:
But seriously, I got the truck pretty cheap on Ebay, so I had a few ducats left in the budget to do some things. The stock S-10 crew seemed too low & squishy for me & I got tired of looking up at other trucks (and even some cars!) on the road. (Dang my male ego! :wink: )
BTW, I've got the OEM ZR5 flares on Ebay if anybody wants them. I also have some Bubaloo shackles that I decided not to use.
[size=75]2003 ZR5, 6" Superlift, cut out flares, step rails, 1.5" rear spacers, 15x8 Pro Comp 1079 wheels w/ 3.75" BS, 33/12.50-15 BFG AT-KO tires[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Skid you do the Skidz flare install yourself or have it done?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

looks like you were a very studious student! and did every thing right, such as adding cut out flares! with that SL. :rock:

Steve
ZR5OnIt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ZR5OnIt »

Did the cutouts myself. Followed the instructions in the Mod Forum (Thanks Henry)
I had to do the front fenders right away cause the 33's rubbed severely.
It was actually pretty easy. I used a Sawzall with a short fine-toothed metal blade. I did the front cutouts during an extra-long lunch hour one day! :o The rear took longer cause you gotta do both sides of the wheelwell. Total time to install was about 90 min. front, two hours for the rear. I'd like to add, though, don't rush it. Leave yourself plenty of time to trim the flares with a Dremel or other tool if needed.
[size=75]2003 ZR5, 6" Superlift, cut out flares, step rails, 1.5" rear spacers, 15x8 Pro Comp 1079 wheels w/ 3.75" BS, 33/12.50-15 BFG AT-KO tires[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ZR5OnIt wrote:Did the cutouts myself. ...Leave yourself plenty of time to trim the flares with a Dremel or other tool if needed.
Outstanding! Good advice too!

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

ZR5OnIt wrote:Did the cutouts myself. Followed the instructions in the Mod Forum (Thanks Henry).........................
Sounds like you have plenty of knowledge doing the flares that quickly :D

Did you have to pull the front fenders to remove the stock ZR5 front flares? I am only asking because I already have the Skidz flares and am planning on installing them when we get some warm weather.
ZR5OnIt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ZR5OnIt »

Not at all. Just take off the wheels and remove the flare screws from the fender lip. The rear flares on ZR5's have 10mm bolts through the side of the fender, plus screws through the lip at either end. They are stuck on with some double face tape too, so remove screws/bolts as necessary then grab one end and slowly peel off. Unfortunately the plastic edge is unprotected, so I have a circular scar through my paint where the rear flare contacted the fender and the cutouts don't cover it up :twisted:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Just to make sure I am not having a "senior moment", you did not have to remove the front fenders to remove the front flares on your ZR5? The shop manual intructs them to be removed. I noticed that you left the ZR5 flarettes on your front bumber. The manual recommends removing a fastener for the flarettes and then using a heat gun to complete the removal. Do you think a heat gun would have helped to prevent the paint damage on the removal of your flares. That adhesive can get pretty ugly.

Thanks for your responses.
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

Umm i noticed your paint circle after the rear flare removal. that would mean the zr5 flares for the s-10 are larger then the regular ones that are crew comes with the cover up the izuzu lines. That licks. sorry about that as mine covered my lines after the install :(
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
badandy2003cc4x4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by badandy2003cc4x4 »

looks nice
[size=75]2003 Sonoma SLS Akimoto conical air filter, soft tonneauver[/size]
ZR5OnIt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ZR5OnIt »

The front flares fit just like the stockers did, in that crease in the fender, so the scuff line was covered up. On the rear, however, the cutouts mount a little lower on the fender than the OEM ZR5 ones do. You're right Bub, non-ZR5 rear flares are a little thinner vertically, so the scuff line is covered up there too. The cutout flares (like all aftermarket flares) have that peel & stick edge trim to protect the paint. The problem is that the stock flares don't have any edge trim, so the hard plastic rubs directly on the paint. :twisted: The double face tape peels off fairly easily. A heat gun is unnecessary.
I have no idea why the shop manual would call for front fender removal. The front flares screw right to the fender lip, easily accessible by taking the wheel off, or maybe using a right-angle drill. Maybe it's an excuse to run up shop charges. :wink:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I'm glad I waited to do mine now. Thanks :D
SI wrote: Remove 2 retainers securing the bumper end cap to the front bumper assembly.
# Remove the bumper end cap.

1. Heat the molding using a J 25070 in special tools. Hold the heat gun approximately 52 mm (6 in) from the surface. Apply heat using a circular motion for approximately 30 seconds.

Important

Be careful not to scratch or chip the paint.
2. Peel the bumper end cap from the front bumper assembly using a plastic flat bladed tool.
3. Remove all adhesive from the front bumper assembly and back of the bumper end cap using a 3M Scotch Brite Molding Adhesive remover disk 3M P N 07501 or equivalent.
4. Clean the front bumper.

# Remove the fender. Refer to Fender Replacement - Front in Body Front End.
# Remove the fender to flare retaining nuts inside of the fender from the flare molding studs.
# Remove the flare to fender retaining screws around the wheel opening.
# Remove the flare from the fender.]
ZR5OnIt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ZR5OnIt »

Boy, they must pay those GM tech writers by the word :lol:
For the rear fenders you only need the last three instruction lines. For the fronts you only need the last two.
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

ZR5OnIt,
Can you give us your oppinion on what you think of your new lift? How is the ride? How does it handle? Any noticable loss of power from the bigger tires? What about a loss in fuel millege? Was just currious of what you thought!

Steve
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

sweet ride, love the big tires
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

Steve2003 wrote: Any noticable loss of power from the bigger tires? What about a loss in fuel millege?
what gears do you have also, any perfomance mods?
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

I'm late again . Looks grate :thumb: .

Did you do the install yourself?
Do you have a body lift?
What size wheels and what back spaceing??
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

http://www.s-10crewcab.com/coppermine/a ... re_031.jpg
if you have already gotten an alinement,I think you need to go back to the alinement shop. Mine sliped the first time and had to have it done again, oops.
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

jeggers wrote:http://www.s-10crewcab.com/coppermine/a ... re_031.jpg
if you have already gotten an alinement,I think you need to go back to the alinement shop. Mine sliped the first time and had to have it done again, oops.
I had the same thing happen too, the left side camber was loose. Good catch Joe

Steve
ZR5OnIt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ZR5OnIt »

Good eye! I hadn't noticed the camber. I'll get that looked at.
FAQ's:
-The ride is pretty good, a little bouncier when lightly loaded, but that's probably due to the Superlift shocks and the big a$$ tires.
-Gas mileage seems about the same as before. I'll have to run a few more tanks of gas through it to see.
-Install was done by 4Wheel Parts. Labor was $750.
-Handles pretty good. Adding the rear spacers made it seem a bit less tippy. Turning circle seems to be reduced though. I'd like to see if I can adjust the turning stops a bit to ease parking lot negotiation.
-Acceleration is a bit slower due to the big wide tires, but nothing I can't live with. The 4.3 is a pretty strong motor! Highway power is adequate, downshifts a bit sooner on hills. Don't know what the stock gearing is now, but so far don't feel the need for regearing. Haven't taken it offroad yet, so I reserve the right to change my mind. Speedo is about 5 MPH slow.
-No rubbing at all with cutouts! I really want 15x10 wheels cause I like the look & the tires would probably wear better. Front turning clearance may not allow it without a body lift. I'll research further to see if it can be done.
-Step rails were a must for passengers, as well as pointing out the grab handle.
-Chicks dig it, & that's always a good reason to spend money :wink:
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

ZR5OnIt wrote:-Chicks dig it, & that's always a good reason to spend money :wink:
:roll: i love it :lol:
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

ZR5OnIt wrote:-Chicks dig it, & that's always a good reason to spend money
c schoelen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by c schoelen »

sweet lift! it looks awesome! i wish i had put on the cut-out flares right after my lift too, but i didn't and now my tires are a little chopped up. looks nice...good job! :D

ps. yeah the chicks definitly dig the lift
[size=75]2002 S-10 Zr5 with: 6" superlift, 15" black rockcrawler rims, Airaid Intake, and 33 X 12.50 BF Goodrich Mud terrian Tires. Skidz Cut-out Flares[/size]
KYLE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by KYLE »

looks good, i can't wait to join the club!

march of 06, superlift here i come!
[size=75]2003 PEWTER GMC SONOMA CREWCAB, 1.5" SPACERS![/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]