locker for rear

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

locker for rear

Post by Justin »

My trick doesn't have one :( and I am interested in having one put in (mainly for more stability and traction in winter driving)how much do they go for and what one can I get? Will my rear tires wear alot more?
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

My trick doesn't

woops....meant to say "TRUCK"
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Your truck is pretty trick...so it still works. :D
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: locker for rear

Post by quickbiker »

Justin wrote:My trick doesn't have one :( and I am interested in having one put in (mainly for more stability and traction in winter driving)how much do they go for and what one can I get? Will my rear tires wear alot more?

Mmmm, lockers will do the complete oposite for what you are looking for. I locker is very bad news for driving on snow. May be good for getting you unstuck but that about it. Believe it or not, it's better to have open diffs for driving in snow on the road. Just so you don't go sliding sideways. But what is better may vary if you are crawling on a trail.

Lockers are great for rock crawling and sling'n mud. :lol:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yes, a locker or LS unit is bad bad in the ice or snow, but its a good thing for mud or just street performance. i hate open diffs on the street. one wheel spins right when you pull out in front of someone and your screwed!

so you just have to decided what you want? sounds like a selectable locker is what you need...and me too!

with a selectable locker, it will be electroncly engaged or by compressed air. so during snow, you can unlock it, but then during mud you can lock it up. but then again, you dont want to have it locked during street performance. i think ARB has come out with one for our trucks. i like my posi unit, a little of both worlds and it was real cheap
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Hirolln
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Hirolln »

I had good luck with an automatic locker in my K5 Blazer. When you really step on the gas, it locks up and your off!! It is a Lock Rite locker and if it took the abuse that I put that thing through, it would work no problem in a light truck.

The best system out there is probably the ARB air locker but the have their drawbacks too. Cost is the main issue. Then you have all that crap to hook up (air compressor, air lines, in dash switch etc.) And remember, you would have an air line hanging down to your diff and if it got knocked loose at the wrong time, your screwed.