Spacer and tire combo

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Spacer and tire combo

Post by SONOMA915 »

I want to run 31X10.5R15 BF Goodrich A/T on my stock ZR5 wheels. Do I need a spacer on the front, if so what would be the best size? Right now I have a 1.75" spacer on the rear. I was thinking about some three inch spacrs for the rear and moving the 1.75 ones to the front. Any suggestions? Thanks.
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You will need about an inch less rear spacing on the front to keep from rubbing the frame at full lock.
BFG's run on the big side , so rubbing the fender is already an issue. Add the spacers to the front and you have a problem.
Killian96ss has installed 1" spacers on one and proved with a little grinding to the ends of the studs they should clear any wheels. Those would work as would 1.25" spacers.
Either way a major cut is going to be needed to clear comfortably.

Skidz flares or at the very least making the cuts and going flareless is inevitable for that combination.

You can get by running them without spacers. they will rub the frame at full lock, so don't turn it hard, and they will rub the fender under articulation, so don't turn the wheel when going over a bump or through a dip. More than a few have run that way for a while.

If cutting or flares is out of the question, then you may want to go no larger than 30x9.5 BFG's.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

he has flares so hes set for them 31s :D
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I really should READ his signature line :oops:

Thanks!

One inch or more spacers should work fine on the front. You could try the 1.75" , but they might be a bit much?
Last edited by HenryJ on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Sonoma915, I ran 2" spacers in the front with my stock wheels and 31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's. They seem to line up the best with the cutout flares. They were almost perfectly even with the edge of the flare, and did not rub either. :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

wamason wrote:Sonoma915, I ran 2" spacers in the front with my stock wheels and 31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's. They seem to line up the best with the cutout flares. They were almost perfectly even with the edge of the flare, and did not rub either. :)
When you had your three inch spacers on the rear, did everything line up? Front and rear wheels looked even when looking at rear of vehicle?
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

With the 3" spacers in the rear with Skidz flares and stock wheels, they line up fairly well. Not quite as well as I would like, but then again, I'm weird :lol: I like the wide look. With my new wheels my tires stick out just past the flares by about a half inch. That's with 2" spacers in the rear and 15x8 4"BS wheels. If I were keeping stock wheels, I would go with 3" spacers on the rear again in a heartbeat :) Using 2" spacers upfront and 3" spacers in the rear with stock wheels makes the rear track as wide as the front, but then you have to accomodate the fender bulge, which makes the rear track look even narrower.

Hope that made sense :lol:
--Walt
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

Perfect sense to me. Thanks guys for all of the help.
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

One last question about this thread. Do you guys think I can run the 31's without a body lift?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Was it Rock that tried that? Seems like rubbing was an issue?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I think Rock's main problem was that he simply didn't have enough height. when his front suspension compressed, the top of the tire hit the fender.
--Walt