Black hub cap covers

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Black hub cap covers

Post by HenryJ »

There have been several using black hub caps with bowtie for the black wheels.
I think Mark may have been the first.

I have been trying to help out with finding some parts and was forced to do a little research.

From what I can tell the hub caps are GM part number 15661128 used on the PH1 steel Chevrolet wheels from '95-'05
Gmparstdirect wrote:GM PART # 15661128
CATEGORY: Wheel Hub Cap/Trim
PACK QTY: 1
GM LIST: $43.40
OUR PRICE: $25.60
DESCRIPTION: CAB-HUB
The lug caps are what holds the hub caps on and are not the same caps that are used as covers on the alloy wheels. These caps have a shoulder to retain the hub cap. Our stock lug nut covers do not have this.

The caps needed are GM part number 15661036
GMpartsdirect wrote:GM PART # 15661036
CATEGORY: Front and Rear Wheel Lug Nut Cap
PACK QTY: 5
GM LIST: $2.68
OUR PRICE: $1.58
DESCRIPTION: CAP-WHL N
They are bagged in packs of five, but that may be the price each? Or it may indeed be for a package of five? A bargain if that is the case.

Both items may be a little hard to find. Around here hubcaps are not prized and saved as such. That and the majority of vehicles seem to have alloy or aftermarket wheels.

There are other options going back to the early 90's for lug nut caps. They differ a little though. Cutlass, Aztec, Grand Am and assorted others use similar covers to retain the hub caps.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
TexasBlaZeR2
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by TexasBlaZeR2 »

Do you have any pics HJ?
[size=75]Tom (Knight) Houston, TX
2005 BlazeR2 (still have)
2013 Avalanche LTZ (Z71 front end and flares/0
2000 BlaZeR2 (sold)
2006 Avalanche Z71 (sold)
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I got mine off Ebay. Somebody must have tried to paint their wheels or something, because the caps had what looked like silver overspray on them. I sanded them and painted them gloss black :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

RaleighBlaZeR2 wrote:Do you have any pics HJ?
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I'll have top upload a pic soon. Mine are a software shape at the center....everthing is rounded. Plus I painted over my Chevy logos due to lack of skill :lol: Looks good Mark!
--Walt
Jim

Post by Jim »

AZS10Crew wrote:
RaleighBlaZeR2 wrote:Do you have any pics HJ?
My kind of look...has most of the people guessing is that factory or not.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

BEFORE

AFTER
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

WOW... what a difference that makes. Looks great, f9k9 :thumb:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

barch97 wrote:WOW... what a difference that makes. Looks great, f9k9 :thumb:
Thanks, BarchImage Are you thinking about doing it too? :?:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

It's tempting but I like my chrome center caps and black lug nuts. That little touch of chrome ties in nicely with my Sonoma grill surround, I think.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

barch97 wrote:It's tempting but I like my chrome center caps and black lug nuts. That little touch of chrome ties in nicely with my Sonoma grill surround, I think.
What a great reason to get the grille surround painted to match the body :D
--Walt
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

STOP IT!!!!

I'm not allowed any more cosmetic mods until I get my windshield replaced and airbag light turned off. I gotta go through state inspection in April.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

barch97 wrote:STOP IT!!!!

I'm not allowed any more cosmetic mods until I get my windshield replaced and airbag light turned off. I gotta go through state inspection in April.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
--Walt
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

F9K9, how long did it take after you ordered your caps for them to come in?
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I got the S-10 caps off of Ebay for around $20. There was a new set on there a couple days ago.
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

The caps I ordered off ebay have have studs about 1/2" long between the holes. I'm guessing they were designed for a specific rim and I just need to hack them off?
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

kermit wrote:The caps I ordered off ebay have have studs about 1/2" long between the holes. I'm guessing they were designed for a specific rim and I just need to hack them off?
Don't hack them off flush with the next lowest point or they will not tighten up with the black caps that go over the steel lugs. Start out with cutting them off half of the distance that they extend past the outside edge of the cap. Yeah it is a mud and dirt collector because it keeps the cap off of the surface or the wheels but, it is the only way to snug them up with the lug nuts and covers. I cut my first set off too short and they couldn't be tightened up :oops:
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

Thanks for the advice :D Did yours come with the lug nut caps? I stopped by the dealer today and they wanted $3.40 a piece!!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Stop by the salvage yard and you should be able to get as many lugnut covers as you want for $5

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Keep checking Ebay. The covers are sold seperately and $3.40 was about what I found at dealers. Make sure they are the older ones and not ones for the ZR5 wheels. Might pay off to check the other S-10 forums that have big custom wheels wheels too.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I just bought a replacement cap at PEP Boys for $1.00.

Try this link RockAuto $1.03 You will have to do a search. I can't link the page.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]