Wheel Spacers - Pros & Cons

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Wheel Spacers - Pros & Cons

Post by Conman »

I split this topic so that the GP for Spacers didn't get too far off topic-HJ

HenryJ wrote:I kind of blew up :x the last time someone thought they would increase wear, :D but I've mellowed since then. :D

All you are doing by adding this style spacer, is reducing the rear spacing of your wheels.

It would be no different than purchasing wheels with 1.3" less rear spacing.

I do not have any reservations about using them on the front , other than the rubbing issues that they would create. With enough lift they would work fine . I'm sure that quickbiker can confirm this , since I think he has been running them front and rear.

Sorry, I meant the Front wear. The rear can't be that bad since the bed is normally empty(max load will be two Motorcycles at under 500pounds or so. Yeah, my front rubs the flares already so I would not use the fronts until I get a lift. But you are probably right about not much front wear since wider rims and offset would be about 1" anyway.

I did have a Suzuki Sidekick that I overloaded only once and it blew out the rear seals on my axle. so I bet spacer would be bad on the Kick. The S10 is rated much higher for payload so I don't except heavy wear with spacers in the rear.

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

why have billet aluminum when you dont see them? I would rather have somthing stronger then aluminum :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

warnoffroad wrote:I would rather have somthing stronger then aluminum
:shock: Better sell your wheels ,quick, then! 'cause these are stronger than your wheels! ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

HenryJ wrote:
warnoffroad wrote:I would rather have somthing stronger then aluminum
:shock: Better sell your wheels ,quick, then! 'cause these are stronger than your wheels! ;)

:shock: really? Ive never heard of aluminum being stronger then steel
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:oops: Guess I should learn to keep my mouth shut before I do the research on someone's truck ;)

There is some controversy over which is best (aluminum or steel)

IMO , the aluminum is stronger, but will break when it gets to it's limit.

The steel is strong and will bend rather than break.

On the trails it is possible to hammer straight a bent steel wheel. It may wobble a bit , but still hold air and get you out.

The aluminum wheel won't get bent and can take quite a bit of abuse and still run straight, but if you crack it you're screwed.

As for the spacers, a billet steel unit would be stronger than the billet aluminum. But IMO a waste.

The aluminum spacer is stronger than the axle, wheel, studs, etc. (JMO)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Yeah, I have to agree that both of them should last a long time with normal abuse. With that said, the alumimum is lighter and less chance of rust so that's probably why it's used over other metals probably.

My guess.

Con
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
6pack
Regular
Regular

Post by 6pack »

I only know what I read but the 6061 billet aluminum is supposed to be super strong stuff.

My main reason for getting these is I have 32x11.5 MT's and a 2.5" SL suspension lift. I have trimmed the flares a little so I have no rubbing there but the tires rub the sway bar. So I have actually found a used 1" spacer that is made from the 6061 aluminum that I have on the front right now and there is no more rubbing on the sway bar and none on my flares either (which might be because I've already trimmed them). I've had no problems with the 1" spacers. Now I want to get a pair for the back because the track difference is really noticeable and a little goofy looking.
Paul Sill

2001 ZR2 Ext-cab

1965 Mustang
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

6pack wrote:I only know what I read but the 6061 billet aluminum is supposed to be super strong stuff.

My main reason for getting these is I have 32x11.5 MT's and a 2.5" SL suspension lift. I have trimmed the flares a little so I have no rubbing there but the tires rub the sway bar. So I have actually found a used 1" spacer that is made from the 6061 aluminum that I have on the front right now and there is no more rubbing on the sway bar and none on my flares either (which might be because I've already trimmed them). I've had no problems with the 1" spacers. Now I want to get a pair for the back because the track difference is really noticeable and a little goofy looking.

Yeah, I know what you mean about goofy looking. I was not planning on getting them soon, but after all this talk, I can't stand it anymore. :lol:

Cheers,

Con
seapahn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by seapahn »

I can personally vouch for this T6 6061 BILLET ALUMINUM stuff ... very very tough and extremely light. I have been running a set of 2" spacers on the rear and I have put them through some serious stuff. They have held up great ... still like new. If you are worried about strength with this material, don't be! You'll break your axle before these go :D

Here are some pics of my setup: LINK.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

seapahn wrote:I can personally vouch for this T6 6061 BILLET ALUMINUM stuff ... very very tough and extremely light. I have been running a set of 2" spacers on the rear and I have put them through some serious stuff. They have held up great ... still like new. If you are worried about strength with this material, don't be! You'll break your axle before these go :D

Here are some pics of my setup: LINK.

Hi,

I was checking out your pics and saw this one:

http://zr2.cs.ucla.edu/seapahn/gal/mill ... N1142.html

Can you find out from him if that is a ORI bar in front? I bought one but it's not perfect for the 98+ bumpers and I'm wondering if mine was designed for a 94-97.

Thanks,

Con
seapahn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by seapahn »

Yes, as far as I know, that is the ORI (or ORU?) bar. The owner's name is Paul Williams and THIS is his profile on zr2.com with email info if you need more details from him.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yes, billet is very very strong. The way to go. Light and strong.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

is this the pros or cons of spacers or aluminum vs steel?

along the lines of the pros or cons, i dont care what the cons are when the results turn out like this!

:D

[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
No Miles Per Gallon

Post by No Miles Per Gallon »

To anybody running spacers has anyone ever heard of them backing off or loosing up I just went through a group buy at ZR-2 .com picket up 2 1.8 for 199.00 full price they said tork down 95ft lbs.
-Jack
No Miles Per Gallon

sorry 119.00 ops
-Jack
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Someone mentioned they had one loosen-up (can't remember who or where) . I'm a bit skeptical though. If they are properly tightened there should be no problems, just like a wheel.

You guys got a good buy! 6pack did a nice job of setting up that GP.

I've checked my spacers every tire rotation (4k-5k) and never found one loose.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
No Miles Per Gallon

Thanks thats what I was thinking I will check mine aswell put them on today thay really look good
-Jack
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

No Miles Per Gallon wrote:To anybody running spacers has anyone ever heard of them backing off or loosing up I just went through a group buy at ZR-2 .com picket up 2 1.8 for 199.00 full price they said tork down 95ft lbs.

Yea, I do about 90-100 ft lbs
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]