Body Lift

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

TEXS10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Body Lift

Post by TEXS10 »

Hey guys I picked up my body lift (PA 192) yesterday and will be trying to install it on Friday morning. It doesn't look to difficult to install. The tires I picked are the Remmington mud brutes 31x10.50x15 they look really tuff. The shackles are on the way and will do a small T/B crank. I know many of you all have installed this kit what do I need to look for in the directions that maybe misleading ? I know that there is some info on the Mod-info page.But if anyone can think of anything else please let me know. The T/B crank I'am not worried about because I cranked them up on my old Z/71, adding the shackles should not be a problem either.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Read this thread - Body Lift Install? - questions

It does tend to go a little astray, but does offer some good suggestions about looking for a complete kit. Also follow the links in there. Lots of good first hand experiences.

It has been a while for most of us here, and the minds tend to forget the raunchy details that hopefully those threads have captured.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RocK »

dont forget to use the fuel filler neck extension... some people are having issues that did not.. dont remember who tho. The mind thing.
[size=75]2002 GMC Sonoma ZR-5

"Watch This"

Roof Rack Lights, Air box mod, 31x10.50 BFG Mud Terrains, 2 inch rear spacers, Skidz Fender flares, 2 inch body lift.[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

be careful with the line on the bottom of the tranny its a pita to get

reattached

be Very careful when raising the bed not to stretch wires

and dont jump ahead just follow each step
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

RocK wrote:dont forget to use the fuel filler neck extension...
Was one included that fit your truck? The PA192 kits that I have seen came with two pieces of rubber hose. Neither of which would work for extending the stock rubber hose.
For the lifts I have done the stock hose was long enough.
Take both clamps loose, slide the hose up from the tank and down from the filler as much as possible leaving just enough to clamp. I don't tighten the clamps until after the lift is in.

Those with problems have been the ones with plastic fuel tanks and there may have been too much pressure on the fuel tank neck. Perhaps they didn't loosen both clamps to gain the slack needed?

Personally I would look very hard at NOT using the filler extension. #1- I don't think you will find the right parts included and #2- I don't think that you will need them anyway. You would just be creating two new places to have vacuum leaks.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
TEXS10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Body Lift

Post by TEXS10 »

Hey Guys ! :D Started the body lift this morning @ around 10:00 am (central time zone) its 2:00 pm and everthing that needs to come off is off. It's not as difficult as one might think. Decided to eat some lunch and hit it again. What I'am is lacking is the losseing of the body mounts to add the spacers :D . Some of the instructions (pictures) are not clear :twisted: but I was able to firgure them out, the one that kick my butt was locating the little plactic brake line holder that's under the cab heading to rear. Hope to have this bad boy up and running by 6:00 pm or so. Thanks for all the help. While I have this far apart I will be doing the air box mod, T/B crank. My shackles won't be here till next week, so the new tires will not be installed till next week :cry: . As soon has I install them I post a picture. Should be crusing pretty cool when its finished 8) 8) 8) 8) 8). Does anybody have a headache rack on their truck ? I do have a tonneau cover, but I think I can build one to fit with the cover. Any ideas would help. Thanks Lino Arocha
RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RocK »

Yeah HJ my kit came with the right hose/extension.. and i got lots of extra pucks too lol.

Anybody else have any extras maybe we could put together another kit for another member.

"Watch This"

Roof Rack Lights, Air box mod, 31x10.50 BFG Mud Terrains, 2 inch rear spacers, Skidz Fender flares, 2 inch body lift.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

RocK wrote:...my kit came with the right hose/extension...
What was it? What did you do to install it?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I have extra parts also and had the right hoses just didnt use them or the front bumper brackets
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

LOL :lol: :roflmao: :lol:

you shoulda seen the extra parts I had when we got done with my BL
LOL probly had enough extra's to do another BL
:lol:
guess that just means we were better than performance accessories, 'cause it took us less parts.
:roflmao:
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

OK, so what "right" hoses did you get?

For the 2001 Crew Cab with the steel tank you would need a piece of 5/8" steel pipe to extend the breather hose , and a piece of 2" steel pipe to extend the filler hose.

The PA 192 kits that I have installed came with a 6" long piece of rubber hose and a 6" long piece of 5/8" hose. No way am I going to clamp two pieces of rubber hose together and expect it to be leak free :roll:
If you look at step seven of the printed instructions it even shows this is what they want you to do. Steel, yes. Rubber, NO :!: This was for the '98-01' instructions and kit.

Now on Bennie's kit ('02) I think there was a piece of 1" rubber hose included. We obviously did not use it either. It is just not the right part. The instructions also show cutting the rubber filler hose and installing the extension clamped with two hose clamps. Again rubber to rubber. :!:

The reason I am being a little sceptical here is that I do not want poor information running around. We have quite a few here who have not extended the filler hose, but just used the available slack to make it fit. (there is enough length)

Two have had issues with breaking / cracking the plastic tank connection. One installed the extension and it leaked.

All the advise offered from this site has been to NOT install the extension. If there needs to be a change we need to know exactly what has changed.

At this point I am not convinced that using the extension is in anyones best interests.

Also be careful of blanket statements. I have fallen into this trap. The 1999-2001 crew cabs have the steel gas tank. Yes, I know there were only a handful of the 1999 and 2000 crew cabs :) They do exist though.

I ASSUME the rest got the plastic tank with a smaller filler hose and no breather hose.
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

HenryJ wrote:OK, so what "right" hoses did you get?

Also be careful of blanket statements. I have fallen into this trap. The 1999-2001 crew cabs have the steel gas tank. Yes, I know there were only a handful of the 1999 and 2000 crew cabs :) They do exist though.
:thumb: Listen to the man, I have one of those 2000 crewcabs..
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

My early '02 has a steel tank as well :)
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I have a plastic tank and didnt use the hose to extend like HJ said it would be rubber to rubber but on my 04 I have the filler and breather tube if im not mistaken I will look in the morning while shes gettin a bath :)
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

jeff024 wrote:I have a plastic tank and didnt use the hose to extend like HJ said it would be rubber to rubber but on my 04 I have the filler and breather tube if im not mistaken I will look in the morning while shes gettin a bath :)
More than likely you don't...but never underestimate GM with doing something like not having a vent hose for only 1 year (2003). :roll:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

AZS10Crew wrote:... never underestimate GM with doing something like not having a vent hose for only 1 year (2003).
Don't worry, you're not alone :lol: Bennie's 2002 didn't have one, so I am pretty sure the 2004's didn't either.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RocK »

I will look at my kit and measure them parts for ya HJ. I havent used them... yet. But I did get two pieces of tubing for the filler neck extension and two pieces of hose with the appropriate clamps.

"Watch This"

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

RocK wrote:I will look at my kit and measure ... I did get two pieces of tubing for the filler neck extension and two pieces of hose with the appropriate clamps.
So you got steel tubing and rubber hoses?

- ThunderII KE7CSK