Which kits require a new front drive shaft ?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Which kits require a new front drive shaft ?

Post by Blaze One »

After being informed that a 5-6" lift is not too much more expensive than I originally thought it would be ( professional install ) I am thinking of going that route with my 1999 4dr Blazer . But.... I am getting mixed answers in regards to wether or not I need to buy a new Front Drive Shaft ! . Could I get a clear answer from someone with first hand experience about this . And included which kit you have too please . Thanks .
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

All of them need a better one. Just a matter of when it's gonna go.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

crappy , i guess that will put the lift outa my budget . oh i well i will wait and see what happens .
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I may have one for sale, depending on weather they guy doing my SAS can use it or not. I'll know in a couple months. It's a Woody shaft.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

A body lift wouldn't need one.
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

depends if you're going to wheel it. and if you're going to wheel it hard, don't bother with IFS lifts, go straight to SAS.

I've got the BDS 5" and didn't need a new front shaft.
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

hmmm.... I don't plan on going on anything other than a rought logging road I won't be doing any rock climbing . I want it 75% for looks . I could get by with a 2"bl and 31's for the amount of offroading i would be doing , but I really like the way 33's with a 5" lift look .
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

It just all comes down to how much you wanna spend
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

6"sl super lift no new shaft required.(yet) the cv looks maxed out now. but the rest of the lift looks great.
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

I have heard that if I go with a 5-6" IFS lift then I will be replacing balljoints and cv's every year or more . True ?
jeffc
Crew
Crew

Post by jeffc »

again it all comes down to how you drive your truck. if you keep it on the street your front end parts are going to last alot longer than if you go beat the crap out of it off road every weekend. yes any time you change your vehicle from the way it was designed it's going to be harder on certain parts but thats the price you pay to "get the look" your after. i've had no problems with my alignment or front end parts such as ball joints or cv shafts and i've got almost 10k on my superlift. i know some of the other guys here have had trouble with their ifs lifts eating parts but they also have pictures of their trucks on this web site twisting all sorts of funny ways with only 2 or 3 wheels on the ground. now that stuff is cool to see but you have to understand that kind of use is going to break stuff....thats why guys are going to the sfa....even then it's still possible to break stuff. anyone on this site will tell you to ask yourself what you want to do with your truck.
[size=75]2004 s-10 crew cab with 6in. superlift, 2in. bodylift, 31x12.50 pro comp mud terrains on 15x10 eagle alloy 589's[/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

What do i want to do with my truck ? hmm... well I want it to be higher and more "aggresive" looking than a ZR2 . Which means I would like to run atleast a 31" tire or hopefully a 32" if I use skidz flares ( in the works ) As far as use , well I will be going on rough logging road with some mud but there will be no rock crawling . And I probably wont even bottom out on rocks , maybe a stump or two but nothin major . Hope that gives you an idea of what kind of wheelin i will do . My original plan was to add a 2"BL , 1" tbar 1.5"shackles , now i am also going to do the skidz flare cutouts too . I was told i could fit a 31" tire with out a lift with just the flares so a 32" maybe 33" could be possible with the lift aswell .