Going up!

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

jajwrigh
Crew
Crew

Going up!

Post by jajwrigh »

After reading this site for awhie, I have decided to get lifted! I think that I will go with the 2" bl for starters and then with a bds or superlift kit. I do have some questions though. Will this look ok with 29s or 30s? How do I know the backspacing that I need? What is this t-bar mod I always read about? Is it difficult to do? Are there any disadvantages? What are shackles and add-a-leafs? I am new to 4x4 suspension so please bear with me. Thanks guys! 8)
[size=75]2004 Zr5[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

A body will look OK with stock tires...but you'll get sick of them pretty soon, especially with the extra clearance. You can fit 30's on stock wheels with no problems. 31's will fit but will rub the inside of the fender well. If you go with a wheel with less offset than stock, you'll rub more. If you want to run 31's, stick with the stock wheels.

The Torsion Bar crank is very easy. If you can turn a wrench, use a jack, and read a tape measure, it can easily be done. Check out the "mods" page on this site. There's a write up about Torsion Bars.

After messing the Torsion bars, an alignment will be required.

Take a look at your leaf springs under the back of your truck. The black bracket that connects the leaf springs to the frame is a shackle (it's to the rear of the truck). Getting a longer set of those will increase your ride height in the rear.

Add-a-leaf kits actually add one or several more springs under your leaf springs. To me, the easier way to go is the shackle lift, but the AAL can actually improve load carrying from what I hear.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

If you haul heavy loads or pull a trailer of just about any weight, I highly recommend the Boise Spring Works kit to any other add a leaf. If you don't haul or tow, then shackles would be fine.

Welcome to the site :wave:
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

I've towed my boat many, many times and am now towing our new folddown camper (~2100lbs) with no problem and I have Daystar Non-Greasable shackles in the back. I haven't noticed any adverse effects of the shackle lift...at least for nomal driving and towing. (Hauling stuff in the bed definitely sags the rear which is where an AAL would be handy...if you put a lot of heavy stuff in your bed). My $.02
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

coreylubahn wrote:I've towed my boat many, many times and am now towing our new folddown camper (~2100lbs) with no problem and I have Daystar Non-Greasable shackles in the back. I haven't noticed any adverse effects of the shackle lift...at least for nomal driving and towing. (Hauling stuff in the bed definitely sags the rear which is where an AAL would be handy...if you put a lot of heavy stuff in your bed). My $.02
This is a good example. If you do alot of towing, or regularly haul heavy stuff in the bed, go with the AAL's or springworks kit. Shackles will give ride height, but won't help in the hauling area much.
--Walt
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

I think the shackles are actually fine for towing (unless you have some crazy tongue weight to your trailer. My camper's tongue weight is around 200 lbs and doesn't sag the rear much at all...what I was saying is if you are going to be hauling rock and mulch or something like that in the bed, then I'd go with the AAL or SpringWorks kit (if they are even still available...or cost effective right now) but otherwise my vote is for shackles all the way!
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I put nothing in the rear and my trucks sits lever all the way around
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Tribecrist
Crew
Crew

Post by Tribecrist »

Hi,

I am also new and want to achive a 2" lift height general spring has a lift kit that includes a torsion key and an add a leaf.Has anyone heard of this kit ...pros and cons????
~2001 S-10 Crew Cab Black~
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

coreylubahn wrote:I think the shackles are actually fine for towing (unless you have some crazy tongue weight to your trailer. My camper's tongue weight is around 200 lbs and doesn't sag the rear much at all...what I was saying is if you are going to be hauling rock and mulch or something like that in the bed, then I'd go with the AAL or SpringWorks kit (if they are even still available...or cost effective right now) but otherwise my vote is for shackles all the way!
That was my point... Shackles will not give you anymore load capacity, whereas AAL's can... :D
--Walt
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

[quote=Tribecristwrote
]Hi,

I am also new and want to achive a 2" lift height general spring has a lift kit that includes a torsion key and an add a leaf.Has anyone heard of this kit ...pros and cons????[/quote]

nope but welcome :wave:
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Tribecrist

:wave:

welcome to the site
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Tribecrist
Crew
Crew

Post by Tribecrist »

General Spring of Kansas has the kit

http://levelingkits.generalspringkc.com/

Last week i almost traded her in for a new silverado crew but the crew gotta stay but its going up ..

I plan to lift my Crew and get max tire 29 or 30 x 9.5 x 15 ???, Install the level kit or the Boise Kit and a tor -crank... not sure . The rear spacer look great too.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

If you get new Torsion Bar Keys, you'll have MAJOR front end problems. From what I understand, our front suspension doesn't have alot of room for adjustment. Some folks have had boots come loose with only a standard T-Bar crank.

If you want to fit 30's or 31's, and want some lift, get the PA192 Body lift. It will give you a solid 2" of lift. Then you can add shackles or leafs in the rear, and do a mild T-Bar crank in front.

If you want more lift, the 6" SuperLift is the way to go :D
--Walt
Tribecrist
Crew
Crew

Post by Tribecrist »

Well the keys sound like bad news so I think I will go with the tb crank and the biose AAL.
I need to start a piggy bank for a BL ...I got an install price of $800.00.

Mark
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Tribecrist wrote:Well the keys sound like bad news so I think I will go with the tb crank and the biose AAL.

Mark

That is a large chunk of change for a BL.

It really is feasible to do it yourself once you read all the info on doing one. Even if you do not own "tool one" you could buy the tools (used or new) do the lift for less than half of that and have something that will last a lifetime.

We can walk you through it :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

f9k9 wrote:
Tribecrist wrote:Well the keys sound like bad news so I think I will go with the tb crank and the biose AAL.

Mark

That is a large chunk of change for a BL.

It really is feasible to do it yourself once you read all the info on doing one. Even if you do not own "tool one" you could buy the tools (used or new) do the lift for less than half of that and have something that will last a lifetime.

We can walk you through it :D
Yea, get a couple of buddies that aren't doing anything on a Saturday, and you guys can install it yourselves. You cut the BL price from $800 to $200. Plus the price of pop/beer/whatever. :lol:
--Walt
Tribecrist
Crew
Crew

Post by Tribecrist »

Thanks guys i believe i have the tools and assembly abilty for the 2" BL.

Heres my plan

A: In a matter of minutes i will order the Boise AAL.When I recieve that I will also do the tb crank.

B: 30-9.5-15 tires on my stock rims. In a month

C: 2" BL .....fall of '05

Mark
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Tribecrist wrote:Thanks guys i believe i have the tools and assembly abilty for the 2" BL.

Heres my plan

A: In a matter of minutes i will order the Boise AAL.When I recieve that I will also do the tb crank.

Mark
Sounds like a great plan to me! And as far as your ability to do the BL, well, if I can do it, anyone can!! :lol:
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
jajwrigh
Crew
Crew

Post by jajwrigh »

Tribecrist wrote:Thanks guys i believe i have the tools and assembly abilty for the 2" BL.

Heres my plan

Mark
That is the identical plan that I am leaning strongly towards! Inexpensive, effective, and realistic....all of the aspects that appealed the most to me.
[size=75]2004 Zr5[/size]