BL is done

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

BL is done

Post by F9K9 »

Moved the topic myself from "Proper tool storage" in NOS
f9k9 wrote: ...............I knew Top_Sgt and I had planned my BL for today (Sat) ...............

top_sgt wrote:yes.....his BL is done!!!!!! 8)

jeff024 wrote:so is the BL done?............................PICS?

Yes the BL is done and I have not taken any pictures yet, Jeff. I would like to get my ZR5 nerf bars moved up and the rest of my brush guard first but, will take a couple pics when the snow stops blowing :lol:

I took a few pics of "Top's" CC a few week ago hoping he would do a write up on the moving of the nerf bars but, I guess a "groom soon to be" has been busy. He has a really good solution and they look great.

Top also threw on my rear gap covers and they look good. I think he spent a little over 12 bucks on them. :)

The whole process took right around seven hours and this was with plenty of coffee runs , my cancer stick breaks, a sit down lunch with his "bride to be", Laura, my hitch and brush guard brackets invovled.

Top needs to explain his gap guard mod and those of you with enough money to toss on a SL 6" lift needs to chip in and get him a digital camera for a wedding gift....... :roflmao:

Top also has an answer for that pesky tranny and wiring attachment point that so many has spent way to much time on. :thumb:

I sincerely believe that if we do a third lift, that a five hour completion time is possible.

Things we had to do with my lift.

1. relocate ground off from the fuel filler neck, no filler hose extention.
2. relocate ground from battery ground cable to frame.
3. use the PA kit strap for fire wall to frame ground strap.
4. the PA bracket for the front bumper side supports is still a mystery to us :lol: We ended using the stock supports alone with one bolt attached on the frame end.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
coreylubahn

Re: BL is done

Post by coreylubahn »

f9k9 wrote:4. the PA bracket for the front bumper side supports is still a mystery to us :lol: We ended using the stock supports alone with one bolt attached on the frame end.
First off looks good :thumb: Second, that bracket took me like two hours to figure out how it was supposed to work so don't feel bad.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

coreylubahn wrote: First off looks good :thumb: Second, that bracket took me like two hours to figure out how it was supposed to work so don't feel bad.
Thanks

Okay, now we need a pic of that bracket :)
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...now we need a pic of that bracket

This one?
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri May 12, 2006 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Ours were square but, looks similar. May have missed it in the directions but, that is how I thought it worked but it needs to be put on when each side is in the lift process to get the bolt in from the body mount side when it is lifted without the spacer placed in position.
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

soooo that's how it works!!!!! :o

regarding the gap guards...i'll get numbers for that!!!

for the nerf bars.......i'll try to get pics and detailed description soon!!!!

and reed.........is that your new "guard dog" watching over your truck!!!!!! sweet!! 8)
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

top_sgt wrote:.............and reed.........is that your new "guard dog" watching over your truck!!!!!! sweet!! 8)
Yep, that's the new household terror :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:Ours were square but, looks similar....
I may have "bobbed" the corner for mounting the formerly installed raised Safari bar mounts.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:
f9k9 wrote:Ours were square but, looks similar....
I may have "bobbed" the corner for mounting the formerly installed raised Safari bar mounts.
But, did you install it when that side was lifted?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...did you install it when that side was lifted?
Installed them when I reinstalled the bumper. One of the last things done.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:
f9k9 wrote:...did you install it when that side was lifted?
Installed them when I reinstalled the bumper. One of the last things done.
Then you truly do work magic because I could not see any way of getting that top bolt in with the front most cab mounting point installed. We had zero tolerances there on my '02 and Top's '04.

If/when we ever do another one, I will definitely install that PA adapter when the cab is lifted and a secondary cab support is in place.

Thanks for the pic HJ :D
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Looks good, F9K9!!! I gotta do that gap guard! I HATE looking through to the other side of my truck in back. The front doesn't bother me. Is that the rubber stair tread idea? I tried to find some at Lowe's with no luck. Said they don't carry it anymore.

So. There's a mod that needs to be done with nerf bars after a BL??? I'd like to know about it. I wanna get some nerfs for my truck. Hopefully they'll be a real nice birthday present for me come July!!!! :wink:
No, No! I don't mean from you guys! I'd have a better chance of becoming a nun!!!! :lol: I mean from my wonderful, kind, loving, supportive wife! (Had to do some greasing! She may read this one day! :D )
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

our gap guard is a rubber strip that i got at home depot. i'll get the part number tonight for you all!!! the pins that hold it on are GM panel pins,, got them at auto zone!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Pauleo wrote:Looks good, F9K9!!! I gotta do that gap guard! I HATE looking through to the other side of my truck in back. The front doesn't bother me. Is that the rubber stair tread idea? I tried to find some at Lowe's with no luck. Said they don't carry it anymore.
You're gonna need Top to answer that. He showed me the bills when I tried to pay him for them but, cannot recall the store name.
Pauleo wrote:So. There's a mod that needs to be done with nerf bars after a BL??? I'd like to know about it. I wanna get some nerfs for my truck.
The stock ZR5 nerfs look out of place after the BL and moving them up 2" helps hide the frame. I think HJ has Westins that he modified for his BL. I had Grislly's (SP?) that were supposed to be bolt ons (drilling required) on my ZR2 but, just welded them on.
Last edited by F9K9 on Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

here you go guys......this is from an earlier post of mine....anyway:
home depot number 21236 wall base black rubber about $3.00 each.
the trim panel retainers were from auto zone, 15 per package!! about $5.00.
you just drill holes in the lip of the bed underside and attach!!

any questions......let me know!!! 8)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Update on our ZR5 BL

Will give top_sgt time since, his wedding date is this week (the 6th), to go into details on the modding of the ZR5 nerf bars for a BL :D

I personally hope I never see a drill again but, I will have to because there are adjustments to make on my nerf bars. :evil:

My real hassle has been the GM brush guard. The GM brushguard is as ornamental as the ZR5 bed rails, at best but, I feel it needs to be on there. I had planned on using 3 solid steel 1/2" "spacers" and thought there was enough adjustment in the brackets to make up for the additional 1/2" to make the brushguard work. It doesn't :lol:

A wise man told me that first generation tow hooks will work with the BL on my crew. Well, we all know that the hooks should not be used with spacers because frame damge is a valid concern when using them that way.

Tthe hooks worked well and came out below my valence but, then my aluminum front shield was unacessible. I had to use a 1/2" spacer to access my sheild.

I guess that my hooks will be ornamental except in emergency situations :twisted:

Will post pics when brushguard is on unless someone needs to see the nerf bars and tow hooks before then.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Pictures after the ZR5 nerfs and brush guard "adjusted" raised to match. Sorry for their quality :D

Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

VERY nice! :thumb:
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I'm thinkin' I may want to add a brush gaurd, light bar or something!!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thanks Pauleo :D

Other than full blown (expensive) brush/grille guards and the Westin Safari bars there is not much out there.

I have looked long and hard for methods to mount lights and the only other thing I have seen and I am unable to locate them now is "wings" that mount onto your license plate attachment.

I was to impatient in my scenario and jumped on the tail light guards for a good price. Having a front guard was needed after that. :lol:

My GM guard is an ornamental/lighting mount. Nothing heavy duty there.

I wanted a good brush guard but, they are major bucks. The GM guard was had very cheaply and you get what you pay for.

I have a WAAG brush guard on the way for $200 shipped from a member of ZR2.com. He is selling a bunch of things to fund a SFA.

I guess the moral of the story is to have a little patience, a trait that I have never been known to possess :lol:
Last edited by F9K9 on Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

here she is

LIGHT WING
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

f9k9 wrote:...I guess the moral of the story is to have a little patience, a trait that I have ever been known to possess.
Ahh! I know what you mean! I have the same exact problem! :? :lol: I really like the simplicity of that light wing. But there is NO WAY in the world I would pay 80-some bucks for it! That's nuts!!!! Well, IMO anyway.

Having a light bar isn't too far up on my "Mods To Do" list so I guess I have some time. I was just wondering about them.
ludwis
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ludwis »

f9k9 wrote:Then you truly do work magic because I could not see any way of getting that top bolt in with the front most cab mounting point installed. We had zero tolerances there on my '02 and Top's '04.
I installed mine as I was putting the bumper back on. The key was attaching the side brackets to the kit bracket with the 7/16" bolt before you attached it to the frame. Then I put the three other bolts in.

I was able to get a combination wrench on the back side of hte 7/16" bolt between the spacer block to snug it up.

Steve
2003 S10 Crew 4x4
Mods: 1.5" Front Spacers - GM Valley Hitch - WeatherTech WeatherFlectors - Bilstein Shocks - Boise Spring works 2" rear spring kit - Truxedo Toneau Cover - PopLock tailgate lock - Hypertech Tuning - SKIDS Flares - 2" Body Lift - ZR2 Axle upgrade
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I had thought of that after I saw Brule's but, by then it was too late.