Alignment Issues

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

coreylubahn

Alignment Issues

Post by coreylubahn »

So beings that I played with my torsion bars I went to get my alignment this afternoon. I went to Tires Plus and was unsucessful, and I'm afraid where this is going to lead. They informed me that the couldn't do the alignment because it wouldn't take since aparently I have bad lower ball joints and my idler and pitman arms need to be replaced. They said this was common on any S-series from like 85 on or something (one of them that works there has one and has done his already). So I have an appointment at the stealer tommorow and we'll see how it goes. Has anyone else had these problems? My truck only has 27,000 miles on it...I just want to know what to be ready for when I hit the dealer's tommorow. Thanks...I'll keep you informed.
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

I'd get a second opinion if I were you. I'm not saying their wrong but I know someone who used to work at Tires Plus and he would screw people every chance he got. The bigger the sale the better the commision. Anyway, that's what I'd do. I wouldn't trust them to do a front end alignment anyway considering what I know about them. Maybe try someone who specializes in front ends. Tires plus mainly deals with tire sales, mounting, and balancing and telling every little old lady that walks in that they need new motor mounts.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I would drop the TBs back down if you go to the dealer if im not mistaken F9K9 had some problems with his TBs and the dealer.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

heres the thread where it all started I believe READ THIS
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

jeff024 wrote:heres the thread where it all started I believe READ THIS

And the saga continues :lol:

I have an appointment next week for the bump/thump issue with a "friendly dealer" who, has supplied me with ammunition in the past :D

I also fired off another letter to GM (today), reference our phantom crew cab alignment specs (check out trim measurements on main page). One of my questions was if I replaced my rims and tires (have sold my ZR5 rims and tires but, bought other stock rims and tires for this fight) with 100% stock ones and if I jack the front up to their specs, would my warranty cover repairs with the current trim measurements that GM recommends.

In other words........."put up or shut up"!

This will probably end up biting me in the butt because HJ recommended that I let a sleeping dog lay and he is almost always right :lol:

I have laid low for several months and have revised my letter to GM, Probably, 30 times but, I guess I am just thick headed.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeff024 wrote:I would drop the TBs back down if you go to the dealer...
Why? Are they way over spec?
:!:

It is all in how you approach the situation. Approach it trying to hide things , or fool someone and you are sure to have problems. Build a good relationship with the people you have to do business with. Heck my friend just bought a fullsize chevy. He took it in to the dealership and had them do the t-bar crank to level it up. They maxed the bars and aligned it :D , I checked. They were keeping the customer happy :thumb:

You are not wanting to do damage to your vehicle. They don't want you doing damage to your vehicle. Sounds like we all want the same thing.

Now we all need to know exactly what we are doing. Knowledge is power. Know what the trim height measurements are and how to measure them.
Don't assume that just because someone works for a dealership , that they know it all. No one does. That is why we have manuals.

Don't go in looking for a fight, or you'll surely get one. You want something, so they have all the cards.

Most dealerships may not have an alignment rack. It will likely be sent out for diagnosis of the bad ball joints. The idler arm may be within GM's specification since there is a large amount of vertical movement that is permissible.

By 2003 they should all have the redesigned ball joints, so yours may or may not be bad. Mine were replaced under warranty at 30k? One wheel bearing was replaced as well.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK