Is that high of a TB crank safe?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Is that high of a TB crank safe?

Post by Pauleo »

Split topic-HJ

Nahh! It's like a 3 inch difference between the front and back!!! That would be great if I were driving an old Chevelle or Camaro! But on my pick-up? That's too much for me.

I hope to gain about an inch and a half out of the TB crank. So I guess I want to crank to 2 inches so that it will settle to one and a half? Is that safe????
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

just watch your cv boots after the crank......and get it aligned after the crank, too!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

So. Is that high of a TB crank safe? Hey HJ! Wadda ya got on yours? What do some of you other guys have?

Thanks!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Pauleo wrote:So. Is that high of a TB crank safe? Hey HJ! Wadda ya got on yours? What do some of you other guys have?

Thanks!

HJ has what is recommended by GM. Check out "Trim Measurements" on the main page.

That issue is what started my minor skirmish with GM.

I have documents from my dealership that my Trim Measurements are within their own specs but, was refused a CV boot repair under warranty because they have a service bulletin that no one can produce!

I have had a service manager of three dealerships research the topic, slip me their current specs (under penalty of death if I revealed the source) and a good friend (employed at a GM dealer) just north of our international border provide the same measurements that you will find on the home page.

Enough, I am off my soapbox but, HJ (whom I highly respect ) recommended that I leave the issue alone. I have laid low for a couple of months, out of respect of Brule. My mind is still running and I am still researching but, I have not taken any steps (yet) over the issue.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Pauleo wrote:So. Is that high of a TB crank safe? Hey HJ! Wadda ya got on yours? What do some of you other guys have?

Thanks!
This thread is short and worth reading- Trim height measurements

I have aproximately 5/16" threads remaining between the adjuster and the adjuster bolt head.
The main thing is not to crank to the point that the "porkchop" (indexer) tops out, or binds in the crossmember and you still have enough adjustment in the upper a-arm excentrics to correct the camber/caster.

Reed said it and I do agree that adjusting to the upper specifications should be plenty safe.
Some will have CV boot issues. This is inevitable, and may even occur without the t-bar adjustment.
Another thing to keep in mind is that springs can vary. I may have weakened mine with lots of offroad articulating. I don't think that I could crank them far enough to do any harm with the stock indexers. Yours may differ.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I know I'm a little slow, but I don't understand all that "Z height" information. :? I guess to put it into simple terms, I wanted to know if I take a measurement from the top of the tire to the bottom of fender before and after the TB crank, what is the greatest gain in inches that I can expect to see or look for.
HJ wrote:Reed said it and I do agree that adjusting to the upper specifications should be plenty safe.
What I basically wanna know is what exactly "the upper specifications" amounts to in terms of actual ride height.

So sorry to be such a pain!!!! :oops:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The problem lies in the difference in components , like spring rates and tire sizes.
We tried this quite some time ago and there is just no good standard.

Nothing worth doing is always easy. If you really want to know for sure, put on those old clothes and plan to get some of that nasty black frame coating all over you :evil:
Crawl under there with a printed copy of the trim height measurements, a tape measure, small level, a square, and flashlight.

Check out the porkchops as well. See if they are evenly adjusted, and how much room you have left to adjust.

Sorry no clean way to do this, dive in.

The next thing to remember is that the specifications refer to diagrams of suspension components that are different from ours. They have been this way since the start of time :roll: There is lots of room for argument here. DON'T GO THERE. ;)

IMO, You will not get them to crank enough to raise the front 2". Raising just over 1" should be fine if you were not already to the upper limit, and if they were already adjusted evenly. See why I can't just say what YOUR specific increase will be?!? There are just too many variables.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

HJ, I gotta sing your praises! You are THE MAN! I appreciate you trying to explain this (and other things in other topics :roll: ) to me.

You and all the guys here on this forum are... as they might say in `da hood.... "the shizznit!!!" :lol:

And I guess it's time to put the old clothes on and get to gettin' dirty!!
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

OK guys! I'm in the middle of my TB crank and I have a question! I hope someone can help me out pretty quick.

I cranked my driver side about 4 1/2 turns, got about an inch out of it and I have about 1/2 inch left on the bolt before I bottom the bolt out. But the passenger side, I cranked only 2 turns and have about an 1/8 of an inch left on the bolt! When I set her back down on the ground, I am pretty much even on both sides. Well within an 1/8 of an inch anyway.

IS THIS ALRIGHT?????????
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

mine are the same way I think I could get almost 2in from the driver side and 1 1/2 from the pass side. Just make sure its level and not by just looking at it. park it somewhere level and measure. my truck is damn near even at all 4 fenders
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Jeff024 wrote:mine are the same way I think I could get almost 2in from the driver side and 1 1/2 from the pass side...
So does that mean I can go a little further??? I would like to go 1 1/2 inches so that it'll settle to an inch. Wadda ya think???

EDITED

On second thought, I think someone told me not to max out the "porkchops." If I crank any more outta the passenger side, I'll have done just that! So I guess I just answered my own post, huh? :!: :lol:

I have about a 2" difference between the front and back. I guess I'll just have to live with it! :x
Last edited by Pauleo on Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I went up 1 1/2
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Got er dun! I now have a measurement of 35" from ground to fender lip in front, and 37" in back. I can't remeber what it was before. :x I only know that it looks MUCH better now having the TB done with the shackles, BL and tires. Actually LOOKS like a 4x4 now! I HATED when people seemed shocked to hear that my CC was actually 4 wheel drive!!! :x

Now I'll be off to get my alignment tomorrow! Can't wait to pull up next to a ZR2 and see if I'm close to that height!!! :D

Hmmmm. Now then...... what should my next mod be???? :lol:
This stuff is soooo addicting!! :lol:

As always, thanks for everything guys!!!!!
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Here's a quick pic!

Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Looks good Pauleo. 8) Keep an eye on those CV boots.
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Thanks! I will.