Speedometer

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Eric H
Crew
Crew

Speedometer

Post by Eric H »

I have a quick question... I went from the stock tire size to 30x9.5 Dunlop Mud Rovers. I know that my speedometer is off now, but I assumed the displayed speed would be faster than what I was really going.

However, I've noticed recently that when I'm driving with my cruise set just a couple MPH over the speed limit (according to my in-correct speedometer) I'm passing almost everyone on the road.

So anyway, my question is just that... is my speedometer displaying a speed faster or slower that what I am actually traveling?

Thanks!
-Eric H
[size=75][b]2001 Chevy S-10 LS Ext Cab 4x4[/b] -2" BL; US Wheel Stars; 30x9.5 Dunlop Mud Rovers; home made topper; RF 800a2; Two RF He2 12"
[b][url=http://photos.yahoo.com/negativez0]1995 White Camaro Convertible 3.4 A4[/url] -[i]TRADED IN![/i][/b] -RK-Sport Big Block Hood & Sport Wing; Black & Blue Pearl Racing Stripes; 17x9½" König Monsoons; Flowmaster w/ Quad 2½" Tips [/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

your speed ometer is reading slower than you are going. at 60 you are doing 64-65mph with the 30x9.5 tires!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

use the speedo calculator converter

http://www.s-10crewcab.com/og1/modinfo/calculators.htm
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Speedometer

Post by killian96ss »

Eric H wrote:.... is my speedometer displaying a speed faster or slower that what I am actually traveling?

Thanks!
-Eric H
Definitely slower. If you let it go for a long time your odometer will be off also. This would be good if you are still under warranty. :lol:

Steve
Eric H
Crew
Crew

Post by Eric H »

I guess I better slow down a bit! One of my most frequented roads has a speed limit of 65mph, so I've been setting the cruise at 68 or 69. That means I've actually been traveling 72-74mph!! I'm lucky I haven't gotten pulled over for speeding.

Now I just wish I could afford a programmer to adjust my speedo and shiftpoints... :)

Thanks!
-Eric H
[size=75][b]2001 Chevy S-10 LS Ext Cab 4x4[/b] -2" BL; US Wheel Stars; 30x9.5 Dunlop Mud Rovers; home made topper; RF 800a2; Two RF He2 12"
[b][url=http://photos.yahoo.com/negativez0]1995 White Camaro Convertible 3.4 A4[/url] -[i]TRADED IN![/i][/b] -RK-Sport Big Block Hood & Sport Wing; Black & Blue Pearl Racing Stripes; 17x9½" König Monsoons; Flowmaster w/ Quad 2½" Tips [/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I'm running the same size and comparing my speedometer with two GPS recievers I was a little under 2 MPH faster than what my speedometer reported. According to the Yokohoma website my actually diameter was/is 29.7 inches.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Eric H wrote:Now I just wish I could afford a programmer to adjust my speedo and shiftpoints... :)
If you don't want to spend the money on a programmer then you could just buy a speedometer recalibrator. They are usually $100-$175, and several companies make them like Superlift, Granatelli, etc. :)

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The dealer will charge you between $12-$60 to calibrate the speedometer.
That will probably be the cheapest option.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:The dealer will charge you between $12-$60 to calibrate the speedometer.
That will probably be the cheapest option.
Brule, I'm glad you pointed this one out. I forgot about the easiest and cheapest option. :lol: Here in CA, most dealers charge $50-$80 for any type of flash programming. :? This is still far cheaper than the $300-$360 for the Hypertech, or the speedometer recalibrator. I think they should be charging like $20-$30 for this service since it is so easy to do, but you know how dealers are. :x

Steve
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

get the Hypertech. it's worth the $$.
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:... I think they should be charging like $20-$30 for this service since it is so easy to do, but you know how dealers are...
Some of them hit you with that minimum labor charge. It takes less tha ten minutes to change with the TechII. Most of that time is untangling the cable and plugging it in.
A good tech should be able to do the whole job in under 5 minutes.

I still think the HPPIII is a good investment for the long run.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:I still think the HPPIII is a good investment for the long run.
For sure. :thumb: It is definitely worth saving for if you can. The ability to change multiple settings whenever you want is nice. :)

Steve