Super lift estimate

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Super lift estimate

Post by Steve2003 »

I just got an estimate from 4 wheelparts for a 6 inch superlift installed and alignment for $2650 on my 2003 S-10 CC. Gary's Customs who does all the lifts for the local Chevy dealer said he would beat any written estimate, I will be talking with him tomorrow. I plan on putting the 2 inch BL on myself with help from a friend who is a trailer mechanic for my company. I was just wondering what would be the biggest size tire I could run without changing my gears and how do I know what size my gears are? I looked in my manual and they say nothing about it. I sure appreciate all the info and insight on this site. I decided to go all out on this truck.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Look at the build code card in the glove box. It's the GU# code. I forget what all the different gear ratio codes are though.

As for biggest tire...30's for 3.42's and 31's for 3.73's. It's best to go up to 4.10's if you get the recommended 33's with the Superlift.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Super lift estimate

Post by HenryJ »

Steve2003 wrote:...how do I know what size my gears are?...
You need to check the RPO codes in the glove box.

search for : "Deciphering the glovebox RPO codes" it should bring up that thread and answer your question.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Thanks a lot for the info, just found out I have a 3.42 ratio :?: , I guess that means 30's I was hoping to go at least 33's What's involved in changing the gearing? I have heard that is quite an expense. :roll:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Steve2003 wrote:...What's involved in changing the gearing? ...
There is quite a bit of reading about that available here, but your best bet would be to ask a local trusted shop what it would cost.
The rear axle is relatively easy , but the front gets rather "involved".

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

HenryJ, I was looking at your web site and noticed you have 31X10's on your CC what is the gear ratio on your truck? Did you have to change anything? I really like the direction you are going with your truck.
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

Is any one running a 32" tire (31.5) with 373 gears?
I was not planning on changing my gears to 410s. I have a new set of wheels and tires (32x1150 on 15x8 4"bs) waiting to go on after the superlift gets here. I do mostly highway driving and need to keep the top end and good millage. What are your guys thoughts? Thanks
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Steve2003 wrote:...noticed you have 31X10's on your CC what is the gear ratio on your truck? Did you have to change anything? ...
I have 3.73's
That is the biggest tire that I would use with that ratio.
The perfect combination , IMO was the optional stock 29's with the 3.73 ratio.
A little lower ratio with the 31's would be nice, but I was able to recover the loss in performance by adding to the engines performance.

Did I change anything? Not the gear ratio, but pretty much everything else ;)

I no longer feel the need for a lower ratio. If I were to go bigger than 31's then , Yes it would need a change in ratio.

Being stuck with the 3.42 ratio is a hard place to be if you want to go bigger on the tire size. If you go with a 6" lift and plan to run 32" tires then I would also plan on changing the gears to 4.10's.
Personally I would not gear lower than that, or run bigger tires.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I got an estimate from Gary's Sport Truck in Ontario, CA on the 6 inch superlift. They beat 4wheelparts by $88 and included a warranty. 4wheelparts did not have a warranty on their estimate. It's going in Monday night after work and they said it would be done Wednesday, now I need a BL as I am going to be doing that myself with a friend. I have looked around on a lot of the site's I found here and they are all in the $200 range, is that typical or does anybody know where I can get a better price than that? I sure do love this site!! :D
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Did you check Summit? They were around $160 when I got mine. When you do get it, inventory the parts first and make sure everything's there. I think pretty much everyone on here that got the BL had at least one part missing from the kit when they got it.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I just went on Summits site, I thought I had looked there before but I guess I was looking at something else, there are so many sites that I am having to right everything down to keep up with them. Summit has it priced at $196.95 part #PRA-PA-192 can you tell me if that is the right part number for the CC? That looks like the cheapest price I am going to find, everbody else has been $225 or more. Thanks for the feedback :thumb:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Steve2003 wrote:... Summit has it priced at $196.95 part #PRA-PA-192 can you tell me if that is the right part number for the CC?
That is the right one.
Performance Accessories #192

Be sure to inventory all the parts before beginning. It can take over a week to get the missing parts from Performance Acc.
I had extra parts in my kit, so I know someone was missing some parts :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

:lol: Thanks for the info HenryJ and AZS10Crew if I happen to get any extra parts maybe I will post them on this site in case someone is missing them :lol: I'd rather get too many parts than missing parts! I was quoted $1200-$1300 to have the 4.10's put on my truck which I plan on doing but not right away, I am going to have to work a few weekends to pay for that one. Still not sure about the tire size but that will come after I get the BL installed.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I have a really good place down here that will install the SL for $450, and they normally charge $1200 for a full gear swap, but if I do both at the same time, they'll only charge me $600 for the swap since most of the work is taking the front end apart.

Might want to check into that....you could possibly save some money by getting the SL and the gear swap done by the same place at the same time :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

wamason wrote:... but if I do both at the same time, they'll only charge me $600 for the swap since most of the work is taking the front end apart.

Might want to check into that....you could possibly save some money by getting the SL and the gear swap done by the same place at the same time :D
Good point, why duplicate labor expenses.

- ThunderII KE7CSK