BL Done!

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

BL Done!

Post by Pauleo »

So. I got the BL done theis weekend and I'm now loving it! I ended up doing it over a long three day weekend. It took me FOREVER!!!!! I really suck at auto mechanics though. I bet I have about 25 hours in it!! I gotta tell ya.... I HATED IT!!!!! I had problem after problem. My own dumb fault I'm sure. The directions could have been a little clearer at some points but I wouldn't call them bad. The worst of all my problems is that only 3 of the six bolts for the bed would tighten. The other three are snug but not the way I would like them. I didn't strip them out, I think they were just really rusted out or something. The old bolts took everything I had to get out. I had to do it the old fasioned way too. No air tools!!!

Now I'm faced with a different problem. My turn signals are screwed up. One side blinks fast like when there's a bulb out. It only does it when the headlights are on. I had this same problem when I had my tow hitch put on so I'm thinking it has something to do with a ground by the back bumper. Will check it out tonight.

Question.... I couldn't find any ground strap under the battery plate. Could there have been one that ripped out when I lifted it??? Could that cause my signal problem????

Other problems:

I broke the retaining clip off of the air filter where it covers the carburator! :oops: I think it's still O.K. though. The thumb nut keeps it pretty tight alone.
AND
I screwed up the cutting of my valance for the fitting of the frame. It looks like crap! :x

But I guess things could have been worse. I could have kinked an ABS or other brake line or something. That would have probably made me throw a wrench or something!!! :lol:
Last edited by Pauleo on Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

By the way, here's a pic. Sorry she's not clean!!!! :)

Edited. Fixed the pic.
Last edited by Pauleo on Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

1st off paul get some bolts that will tighten for the bed it will start to make noise and drive you nuts.2nd check all the wires at the rear of the bed you may have stretched them badly or torn something while lifting the bed.I dont recall a strap for the battery but there were 2 I messed with 1 at the firewall and the 2nd on the gas filler tube.And as far as the valance I didnt cut mine mounted them below it.
Last edited by jeff024 on Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Your ready for tires now
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

yes.... check ythe wires at the rear bumper.....i pinched the ground back there.. :roll:
and yes,......there is a ground wire/strap below the battery....shouldn't have anything to do with the lights though!!
and yes again..................tires!!!! 8)
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

hey that lift is not the easyest to get done, feel good that you did it yourself. here are my thoughts on the valance i had the chrome bumpers on my 01 and i trimmed most of it away with the exception of the plate area i went from just under the metal part near the wheel well to the plate looked good sorry never took pics of that truck. just put the bl on my 04 zr5 and i did not have to trim i will mount the hooks onder the valance. now be sure to recheck every thing soon make sure nothing is rubbing and tighten up that bed ever if u need help. go get some new rubber!!!!!! a small 31 x 1050 will work
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Yep! It was just a ground wire by the driver side back bumper. As I said, I had this problem before. Only last time, the wire was also ripped from the fuel pump as well! Wonderful U-Haul installers! :x

So everything is good. I was thinking about getting some of that ricer's wire mesh inserts to cover the holes in the valance where the tow hooks used to come out. That would hide my messed up cut job.

Yeah, I want new rubber BAD! But the wife sees things differently. :cry: I need to save some money for vacation next month. Hopefully after that I'll get the truck some new shoes!!!! I'm probably going to go with 30x9.5. I don't feel comfortable messing with the torsion bars to fit the 31's and I don't want any rubbing. I've got some time to think about it though.
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

:lol: remember size does matter :lol:

t-bar crank is not that hard when the time comes the guys here can talk you thru it and its free just need a alinement. and shackles are not that hard.
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Pauleo wrote:I'm probably going to go with 30x9.5. I don't feel comfortable messing with the torsion bars to fit the 31's and I don't want any rubbing. I've got some time to think about it though.
You will like the look of the 31's better. :) If you don't want to do the T-Bar crank, just have a good alignment shop do it for you. They shouldn't charge you extra for it as it only takes a couple of minutes, and they can level it faster and easier because your truck will already be hooked up to the alignment computer. BTW my tires don't rub that much, only when flexing really far (rear tires in fenderwell) and front tires when turning all the way to either side. The tow hooks can be installed in the factory holes. I just made some spacer blocks 2" high by 1-1/2" wide out of some hardened billet aluminum with new grade 12 allen bolts. If some of you are thinking why aluminum, because it's easier to machine, lighter that steel, and the hardened aluminum I used is stronger than steel. Just recently I pulled a full size Suburban 4x4 out of a deep ditch in the snow with one front tow hook with no problems. 8) I will try to gets pics soon. I'm finally getting a digital camera a couple of days. :D

Steve
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

as for that lower valence trim job pull a "young" and just rip the whole darn thing off i like the look i have with 31x10.5's and no valence all you see is tire its pretty sweet
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

camelott112 wrote:as for that lower valence trim job pull a "young" and just rip the whole darn thing off i like the look i have with 31x10.5's and no valence all you see is tire its pretty sweet
:lol: There are actually quite a few trucks around here like some Ford Rangers, Toyota Tacos, etc. that have done the same exact thing. :idea: Your approach angle will definitely be better. :lol:

Steve
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

camelott112 wrote:as for that lower valence trim job pull a "young" and just rip the whole darn thing off i like the look i have with 31x10.5's and no valence all you see is tire its pretty sweet
I wound up cutting off most of my front valance last weekend. I left the area around the tow hooks and the license plate intact and removed the rest.

Crank up the brightness on your monitor and you'll be able to see what it looks like.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

that looks good mark!
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...now that looks interesting!!! :idea:
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

same as my girl but i dont have my prerunner fabbed yet :? hey AZS how is that prerunner attached you got any thing you can send i need to know for when i weld on my brackets and i was just curious sorry hj for the off topic
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

camelott112 wrote:same as my girl but i dont have my prerunner fabbed yet :? hey AZS how is that prerunner attached you got any thing you can send i need to know for when i weld on my brackets and i was just curious sorry hj for the off topic
Two holes in the front of the bumper with bolts through them directly into the bar and two more holes at the top of the bumper on each corner with bolts and nuts for the support bars.
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

a2b wrote:that looks good mark!
I thought about doing it ever since I put on the BL but never got up the nerve to start cutting until I got the 31's and they rubbed on the valance going around a corner. :wink:
[size=75]Mark
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

haha i never got to find out if they rubbed the valence but now months later i thank that silly man in the f350 who had to be saved by a little s10 as he called me haha at least i dont stop at every gas station!
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I screwed up the valance where the tow hooks USED to come out. So basically I would have to remove the whole thing except the license plate holder. I don't think I want to go that route.

I would LOVE to have the 31's! I just don't want the rubbing issue. I don't really do any off-roading, mainly just street. She's my daily driver. But I don't want to start having issues with the CV boots after the TB crank. I really think it would be best if I stuck with the 30's.

So are 30's REALLY 30 inches high??? Because I measured my stock tires and they are only 27 1/2 inches. I think going to 30's would be enough for me.
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

well paul mine is totally off plate holder included let me try to get a pic up of her now plus i know jeff is dying to see it so give me like a day or 2 to get er done and you can decide from there
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

Finally got some pics of the truck and they are in the gallery feel free to boo me if you dare! Image

btw thanks for the help hj i had to learn sooner or later (i was shooting for later)
02bluezr2
Regular
Regular

Post by 02bluezr2 »

Looks very good. I think CCs look great with a BL
[size=75]Whatever you do take care of you shoes[/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Does anyone, by any chance, know the size of the PA body lift bolts for the bed? I just got under there to retighten all of them and I have one bolt that won't tighten at all. It feels like the bolt starts to thread, but when it gets to the top, it just spins. And I can get a hold of it and pull it in & out about 1/4 inch! :shock: I went & got a 7/16 bolt to replace the one from PA & it won't even go in. I am totally illiterate when it comes to measurement & the only place around here to get any bolts from is Lowe's. To get anybody there to help you who actually knows what they are talking about is VERY unlikely! :roll:

So what size do I need to get?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I'd call Performance up and feel arounf. I bet that they might even send you one.......hopefully:)
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

most every bolt underneath are 17-18-and 19mm
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Are you sure the threaded clip in the body isn't knocked loose?
[size=75]Mark
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

tell me the exact bolt and I will go check its size
(location of the bolt)
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

jeff024 wrote:tell me the exact bolt and I will go check its size
(location of the bolt)
It's the one hidden up behing the gas tank. I'm not looking for the head size though. I need to know what the diameter of the bolt is. Then what bolt would be slightly wider. Like I said. The 7/16" bolt wouldn't go. So what would be larger than the PA bolt but smaller than 7/16??? :?:

:?
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

f9k9 wrote:I'd call Performance up and feel arounf. I bet that they might even send you one.......hopefully:)
I sent them off an e-mail about it but have yet to get any response.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

try a 19MM
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

AZS10Crew wrote:Are you sure the threaded clip in the body isn't knocked loose?
I'm hoping that isn't the case!!! :shock: There is no way to fix that is there?
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Pauleo wrote:
AZS10Crew wrote:Are you sure the threaded clip in the body isn't knocked loose?
I'm hoping that isn't the case!!! :shock: There is no way to fix that is there?
I know you can get a replacement threaded clip, but how to install it...I don't know. It may even be a tapped piece that's welded to or part of the bed itself. It's been so long since I've been under the truck to look at them I don't remember.
[size=75]Mark
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The bolts are indeed metric. The capscrew head size is not a really good indication of the bolt size.

I , THINK , not sure that they were 12mmx1.25?

Those "clip things" are called capture nuts. If your local hardware store doesn't have them , look for an Auveco dealer.

I bought my bolts at the local John Deere Tractor parts dealer. They are a good source of odd sized metric bolts.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Hmmm. I don't recall how to get to those capture nuts. I guess I'll have to get back under there and feel around a bit.

You guys ALWAYS come through for me!!! I can't say enough about this site & all of you people! You are all truly awesome. I wish we all lived closer together. I would fire up the grill and cook you all steak dinners!!!! Thanks a million! :thumb:
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

If you need the capture nuts, I can get them through Auveco for you. My store orders Auveco parts on a daily basis, and even has a bunch in stock.
[size=75]Mark
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

AZS10Crew wrote:If you need the capture nuts, I can get them through Auveco for you. My store orders Auveco parts on a daily basis, and even has a bunch in stock.
SWEET!!!!!!! Give me a chance to get under there again & do some more investigating. I will definately get back to you on that offer! You `Da Man! :D
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Pauleo wrote:SWEET!!!!!!! Give me a chance to get under there again & do some more investigating. I will definately get back to you on that offer! You `Da Man! :D
Best way would be for you to send me the capture nut (if you can get at it) or at a minimum a pic of it and detailed dimensions because the Auveco catalogs are set up with just pics of the clips with minimal cross-reference to make/model usage.
[size=75]Mark
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

AZS10Crew wrote:Best way would be for you to send me the capture nut (if you can get at it) or at a minimum a pic of it and detailed dimensions because the Auveco catalogs are set up with just pics of the clips with minimal cross-reference to make/model usage.
O.K.. Will do. I haven't had a chance to get under there yet. Life's been crazy!!! Anyway, I'll hopefully get a chance to get dirty & get under there this weekend! Thanks again for your help!!!
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

This message is for Pauleo or anyone else that may know...

Pauleo said, "I broke the retaining clip off of the air filter where it covers the carburator! I think it's still O.K. though. The thumb nut keeps it pretty tight alone."

I had the same problem while installing my body lift today, will this cause any problems??

Thanks,

-Bob
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]