ball joints are done :(

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

ball joints are done :(

Post by bubaloo1983 »

well guys i found out what all the problems were. it was the ball joints on my truck. when they went bad im not sure...but this stuff started happening right after my lift so i assume its partially that which caused them to fail. do you guys think these will be covered by warranty or no?

any one else get this problem after a lift?? kinda sucks but shat happends.
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think that is going to be a tough one to get fixed under warranty.
It will be just too easy to blame the lift, even if it didn't cause the failure. The relation is just to close.

You can give it a shot though if you want. A good dealer might know of the lousy stock ball joint issue and replace them for you.

They are not too bad to replace. Grinding/drilling the rivets is the worst part. The new "improved" ball joints will bolt in.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

The dealer won't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Unless you pay them of course. But forget warranty.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

yeah i figured :twisted: ah well
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

weaselmf

Post by weaselmf »

I replaced both of my front lower ball joints at around 75k. The hardest part was remooving the nut that holds the axel shaft to the wheel hub. The first one was a real pain in the ars. The second one went pretty well.
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

yeah just sucks they are screwed already

JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

If you're still within warranty I would give the dealer a try. Tell them you have been hearing a popping sound in the front end for awhile now and you thought the lift would get rid of the problem but it didn't. Let them know the "noise" was there before the lift. I know balljoints are fixed under warranty. The dealer replaced the ones on my 01 Blazer under warranty and even put Moog parts in instead of GM parts. If you have a good dealer like I do they will help you out.

Working PT at the dealer won't hurt either. :wink:

Steve
[size=75]2002 S-10 ZQ8- Too much to list= SOLD - 2003 Bonneville SLE - [url=http://images9.fotki.com/v187/photos/4/41590/841111/DSC00158-vi.jpg]2000 Jimmy Diamond Edition[/url] - 2006 Trailblazer LT V8 - 2006 Malibu SS[/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

I would suggest giving the dealer a try .. heck if it works then you just saved money. but if they dont replace them for free, then you might have wasted an hour or two ..I SAY TRY THE DEALER
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

yeah im going to go today ;) thanks guys and your juimmy looks good :D

jmb222
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jmb222 »

Hate to ruin your day, but my friend who had a Blazer with basically the same lift you have went through ball joints about every 3-6 months. You might be in the same boat. On a good note, he bought his ball joints at Auto Zone and they have a warranty on them, so he would end up getting 2 or 3 for free.
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

I think once the balljoints are replaced, it's easy after that because the new ones bolt in.
[size=75]2002 S-10 ZQ8- Too much to list= SOLD - 2003 Bonneville SLE - [url=http://images9.fotki.com/v187/photos/4/41590/841111/DSC00158-vi.jpg]2000 Jimmy Diamond Edition[/url] - 2006 Trailblazer LT V8 - 2006 Malibu SS[/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

a little off topic but don't a big ARSS sig picture take up alot of space on the server.. Nice truck but I suggest making it alot smaller :D just for free space sake..PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
Eric H
Crew
Crew

Post by Eric H »

2bunik wrote:a little off topic but don't a big ARSS sig picture take up alot of space on the server.. Nice truck but I suggest making it alot smaller :D just for free space sake..PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG
Actually, if I remember right I read somewhere on here that pictures aren't allowed in signatures. I could be wrong though...

-Eric H
[size=75][b]2001 Chevy S-10 LS Ext Cab 4x4[/b] -2" BL; US Wheel Stars; 30x9.5 Dunlop Mud Rovers; home made topper; RF 800a2; Two RF He2 12"
[b][url=http://photos.yahoo.com/negativez0]1995 White Camaro Convertible 3.4 A4[/url] -[i]TRADED IN![/i][/b] -RK-Sport Big Block Hood & Sport Wing; Black & Blue Pearl Racing Stripes; 17x9½" König Monsoons; Flowmaster w/ Quad 2½" Tips [/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

you guys are correctIMAGE IN SIG
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Aww shucks! And I wuz just about to post a pik of my latest ride in my sig too! :lol:

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Eric H wrote:Actually, if I remember right I read somewhere on here that pictures aren't allowed in signatures. I could be wrong though...
You're right - Images in the Sig. (please no)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK