superlift install

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

jeffc
Crew
Crew

superlift install

Post by jeffc »

i got started on the install today and it's quite the project. we're almost 14hrs into the install and we still have a few things that need to be done on the front before starting on the rear. the rear will be a walk in the park compared to the front and it should only take a few hours. i don't know how superlift comes up with thier time est. because even 4 wheel parts said they would need 3 days (24 hrs. labor) to do the kit and nobody does more lift installs than them....by the way they wanted $700. i took a few pics but to be honest the camera was the last thing on my mind today but i'll try and let you guys know where we ran into trouble on the install. so far it hasn't been too bad....just very slow going. i've found several things in the directions that should be corrected because they confused us a little. there is an option for a steering stabilizer that no one said anything about so now i'll have to try and oreder it and then rip the frontend apart again to put it on after the fact....that kinda made me mad. the directions say nothing about having to move the exhaust so the front drive shaft can clear but i can tell you it's got to be done. that diddn't really come as a shock though....i knew it was one of the things that needed to be done in the trailmaster kit. oh don't bother calling superlift because they can't help you if you run into trouble. i called once and they couldn't answer my question and never called back with the info. they said they didn't know anything about the kit. so fyi your kinda on your own with this one. i'm hoping to have it done tomorrow but we'll have to see how the day goes. i'll keep everyone posted on the progress
jeff

edited title -HJ
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

Don't worry too much about the steering stabilizer, I thought I would need one when I put on my lift but you really dont, it isn't bad and I am running 33x12.5's. sometimes if you get in a rut or something going fast it will try to follow it but you really dont need one. Actually I bought one but the kit said to cut the stock ss bracket off so then I didnt have anywhere to mount it and I got lazy and forgot about it but it really isnt needed.
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Can't wait to hear/see how it turns out!
Last edited by Rusty on Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffc
Crew
Crew

Post by jeffc »

the front is done! now i just have to finish up the rear and then adjust the ride height. the truck is alot bigger than stock but i still wish i would have bought a full size. i'm running 31X12.50 pro comp mud terrains on 15x10 eagle alloy 589's and they seem to clear ok. i was worried about them looking too small but i don't think you could fit anything bigger without rubbing ( unless you use 7" wheels with a mile of backspacing....and i'd rather leave the truck stock than do that) well back to work...it shouldn't be too much longer til it's done.
jeggers65
Regular
Regular

Post by jeggers65 »

thanks for the info on the install i was'nt thinking that long for the install. Are u working in a shop with a lift or on the ground?
04 s10 zr5
jeffc
Crew
Crew

Post by jeffc »

i'm working at my neighbors house. he's a street rod guys and he's got an 8 car garage with a hoist. it's alot better than crawling around on the floor! we used a trans jack to lower/lift all the heavy parts.....he's got every tool you'd ever need so i'm getting spoiled working over there. i wouldn't want to cut the frame with out a plasma cutter,it's the only way to do it! we're just about done...only a few loose ends to tie up and then i get to try driving it!
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

jeffc wrote:i'm working at my neighbors house. he's a street rod guys and he's got an 8 car garage with a hoist. it's alot better than crawling around on the floor! we used a trans jack to lower/lift all the heavy parts.....he's got every tool you'd ever need so i'm getting spoiled working over there. i wouldn't want to cut the frame with out a plasma cutter,it's the only way to do it! we're just about done...only a few loose ends to tie up and then i get to try driving it!

8 car garage? I'm jealous! All I have is a lousy 2 car garage! I have a plasma cutter, welder, air compressor, hoist, jacks, stands, roll around boxes full of tools, etc, etc, etc, but when you have it all jammed in a 20x23' garage, it sure doesn't leave much room left to work on anything. :rant:

So how's the project going? Almost done yet?
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

try one car garage over here :x
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Sloping gravel at 20 degrees here :lol:

Not degrees in angle, 20 degrees in temp :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I know, I know. I shouldn't complain! It could be a lot worse.

So Jeff, you done with that thing? Come on man! We wanna see pics! :lol:
jeffc
Crew
Crew

Post by jeffc »

i'll be done soon. we called it a night at 10:00 and i'm about to go back over there and finish up. we're having trouble with the parking brake...it's locked on for some reason and the cable is very very loose and we manually released the brakes right at the disk/ parking brake drum but it's still stuck. i'll get pics up soon.
jeffc
Crew
Crew

Post by jeffc »

i started looking into posting pics on this site....something i've never done before and i'm confused. at this point i'd rather do another ifs lift than have to figure out this computer stuff! i use the internet to look at stuff and buy things and thats about it. so if someone would like to post the pics for me i'd gladly send them in an email to anyone that knows what they're doing....because i sure don't!

Read this one to resize your photos- Resizing photos, this one to create an album in the gallery- How to post pics? ( instructions for posting pictures ), then this one to learn haow to use the img tags- Posting images -HJ
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

From a post elsewhere:

It is , maybe, not as user friendly as it could be, but with a little playing around you should be able to get it working.

The first thing is to register for your username and password.
Now you can login.

Then you need to create an album.
After logging in you will see a link to "Create/ order my albums". Go there. Click "new" and name it what you wish, then click "apply modifications" to create the album.

Now when you drag the cursor over the "@" the options show up: " | My gallery | User mode | Upload picture | Logout [username] | "
Upload the pictures

Note: the pictures must be under the 1024 kb limit.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
jeffc
Crew
Crew

Post by jeffc »

it's done! it took 23 hrs but it was worth it. the truck drives great! i did have to trim the front fenders a little to stop some rubbing but other than that it's great. i have pics and i tried to upload them in the photo gallery but no luck....it kept saying critical error or something like that. i made sure the pics are well within the allowed size. maybe i'll try again later.
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I added all your pics to my gallery -- I think that it was the digital camera that was your problem -- it wasn't attaching the .jpg extension to the image files properly. I renamed them all with a .jpg and they worked.

[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

:Drool: (Brule, we need a Drool Icon :lol: )

Man that looks awesome! What size tires are those again?
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

wamason wrote::Drool: (Brule, we need a Drool Icon )
Hmmmm...

...something like this might express your feelings? Image

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Great looking School bus :hide:

Am kidding.......looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by F9K9 on Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:
wamason wrote::Drool: (Brule, we need a Drool Icon )
Hmmmm...

...something like this might express your feelings? Image
Well, while were at it, now we need one along the lines of laughing so hard and then chokes and almost dies! That was my reaction when I figured out what that emoticon with the desk was doing!
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

oohhhhh!! Shweet!!!
--Walt
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Looks great Jeff! Darn I wish I could have done that to mine!
TheBigFitz
Crew
Crew

Post by TheBigFitz »

:shock: Man, that is a nice ride! If I didn't have 83K miles I would be doing that for sure!
[size=75]SOLD - 2" BL, BFGR 31x10.50 on American Racing Outlaw II Rims (15x7, 6" BS), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 1" Torsion Bar Adjustment, Rear add-a-leaf, Westin nerf bars & tail light guards, Genuine Steel grill guard, Tinted Windows, K&N Filter - SOLD

New Ride: 2006 Chevy Silverado SS[/size]
jeffc
Crew
Crew

Post by jeffc »

thanks for posting the pics for me. someone asked a few posts up what size the tires are, they're 31x12.50 pro comps on 15x10 eagle alloy 589's with 3-5/8" back spacing. i had to trim the front fender and i still hace a little rub sometimes at full turn so i might turn the torsion a tiny bit more. it really does drive great but i think my gas milage is going to be very poor.....but i knew that before i even started.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I bet your mpg will be bad I lost almost 2mpg with just putting on 30s from the stock 235s. If you get 15mpg that wont be to bad
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Hey Jeffc...Truck Looks Really Great.....Nice Job

OK Everybody Else...Lets Get A Group Buy On The 6" SL And All Head To Jeff's House..He Knows How To Do It, And He does A Great Job...And It Only Takes 23 Hours Per Truck... :lol:
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Now that hes done 1 I think he can do another in 15 hours :), I feel cheap now i just ordered the body lift and shocks :roll:
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

gocntry wrote:Hey Jeffc...Truck Looks Really Great.....Nice Job

OK Everybody Else...Lets Get A Group Buy On The 6" SL And All Head To Jeff's House..He Knows How To Do It, And He does A Great Job...And It Only Takes 23 Hours Per Truck... :lol:
It's gonna take a heck of a lot longer than 23 hours on mine. FIRST, I have to convince the wife to let me lift it! Since she drives it all the time now, it ain't gonna happen!
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

jeffc wrote:it's done! it took 23 hrs but it was worth it. the truck drives great! i did have to trim the front fenders a little to stop some rubbing but other than that it's great. i have pics and i tried to upload them in the photo gallery but no luck....it kept saying critical error or something like that. i made sure the pics are well within the allowed size. maybe i'll try again later.
looks great :thumb:
jeffc
Crew
Crew

Post by jeffc »

my neighbor that helped me is a professional mechanic and he thinks we could do another one in close to 12 hours now that he knows how everything works. actually he said he'd throw away the superlift directions and do things alot different. we pulled the upper ca,lower ca,and knuckle off all in one peice and droped the diff with the cv shafts still in it. little things like that can save alot of time. we didn't use all of the little brackets they gave us for brake relocation,we just remounted the stock ones by welding or bolting the to a new position. the otc kent moore tool for unloading the torsion bar worked great and it makes me wonder how you'd even try unloading the t-bar without it. it did help having a hoist to work off of. if you need the truck raised up more for something just hit a button. i was alot of work but i'm glad i did the install....now i know how that whole truck goes toether. although it does sound nice to hand someone your keys and in a few days go pick up a lifted truck with out lifting a finger!
jeggers65
Regular
Regular

Post by jeggers65 »

sweeeeeeeeeeeet! the yellow pain looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
summit still does 'nt have my kit in stock, now i really cant wait to install it.
23 hrs is a really long time when i install mine i will have no lift and i don't know about the plasma cutter yet, other than that it is a full shop.
04 s10 zr5
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The truck does look nice :thumb:
jeggers65 wrote:...summit still does 'nt have my kit in stock...
Personally I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on backordered parts from Summit. With them it is always just another two weeks. I waited way too long for a blower, before canceling the order :!:
I'd cancel it and order from someone who has it in stock.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

yeah, summit's kinda unreliable as far as "ordering" parts. took me almost five weeks to get my centercaps. If you don't mind waiting, I guess the price is right but, if you need it on a schedule, look elsewhere.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

barch97 wrote:yeah, summit's kinda unreliable as far as "ordering" parts. took me almost five weeks to get my centercaps. If you don't mind waiting, I guess the price is right but, if you need it on a schedule, look elsewhere.
I concur. Waited on my center caps. Got 2 "things" that matched no part number they had, called 'em up, they said keep 'em and shipped the correct center caps.
jeggers65
Regular
Regular

Post by jeggers65 »

I am going to hold out till the end of the month on summit and see. i have had good times and bad with them. in the end the price is good and i have blown the budget on this one.
04 s10 zr5
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

your truck..

Post by KCustom »

Looks great!!! :D
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

Jeff,

you have just inspired me.

Thank you.

I know what Santa is going to deliver after my tax returns have cleared!
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

shocks rubbing?

Post by KCustom »

Do your front shocks rub on the frame with the new lift? My passanger side rubs a little...just curious

THanks
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

kwalsh wrote:Jeff,

you have just inspired me.

Thank you.

I know what Santa is going to deliver after my tax returns have cleared!
My tax return is already spent. Just not on what I wanted to spend it on! :(
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

LOL...

Post by KCustom »

I can relate to that...I have a 13 week old daughter..
jeffc
Crew
Crew

Post by jeffc »

i have not noticed the shocks rubbing....just tires! i've only got 31's and even with the torsion cranked up an extra inch (7in over stock now) i rub on the rear of the front wheel well. i know i've got 12.50's on 10" wheels and only 3-5/8" back spacing but i didn't think i'd have this much trouble. i've got a 2in body lift laying around which is going to makes it's way on the truck sooner than later but then i'm gonna want 33's.....it's a never ending cycle! i think my next step is gears. the 3.42's don't like the 31" tires.....not to mention the truck is like a giant sail catching the wind. i'm pretty sure i'm gonna go with 4.10's so i can get 33's and still have alitte power. my gas milage can't get any worse than it is now....i'm thinking it's in the 12mpg range...although it's been very very cold here so thats not helping any.
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

NICE lookin truck, glad to see you got it done 8)

I am going to have to burst your bubble now though b/c after the body lift you will have the same amount as lift as me with the same backspacing and I still rub. I did some MAJOR fender cutting and even went with fiberglass fenders and beat the firewall in a little bit and it will still rub a little bit offroad. Definately have to have 4.10's with 33's or it would suck to drive and you would have to almost floor it everywhere. It can be done though, it is just a little easier with more backspacing b/c it wont hit the fenders as much.
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Back spacing is the key...

Post by KCustom »

Back spacing is the key...I am running 5" inches of Backspacing on 9" wide wheels.....The centerlines that I have for sale are 4.5 backspacing on 8" wide wheels.......
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Back spacing is the key...

Post by HenryJ »

KCustom wrote:Back spacing is the key...
Words of wisdom :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

amen! :lol:
--Walt
jeffc
Crew
Crew

Post by jeffc »

i'll be the first one to admit my back spacing is the problem. to me stance is everything and i really wanted the wide look that i have. i'm just going to have to try a few things to get it working right. i knew everything i was going to be in for when i started this little project, so the rubbing and loss of power came as no suprise.
mickm
Regular
Regular

Post by mickm »

Hello,
Without requiring removal of material from the upper control arm's inner fascia, the shock absorber's operating box is excessively limited.

Only when using certain cylinders have we experienced minor rubbing of the shock's upper body against the frame.

I have designed new shock brackets addressing this issue. "IF" you experience this, call Superlift and we will issue you a new set of shock brackets ASAP.

KC, your's shipped this morning.

We thank you for your interest in our product and strive to give you the best product and service available.

Happy Holidays,
MickM
Superlift Suspension Systems
Lead Design Engineer, S-10 platform
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by KCustom »

The guys at Superlift rule.....Merry Christmas