New shocks

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

New shocks

Post by kf6kmx »

Finally decided to go ahead and change my shocks.. wow :shock: didnt know they had gotten this bad (the old frog in hot water trick, tas they go out slow it seems 'normal')

Went with a set of Rancho 5000's.. Have the back on, still waiting for the front (no one stocked them that was open on a weekend.. Going to try two of the area 4x4 shops tomorrow, or have to order the fronts...
The factory shock on one sie (drivers I think it was) had lost almost all compression resistance.. the other is weak but still feels a little like a soft car shock. now when you hit a large bump (tried a speed bump) the back end has the hard/sharp hit of a 4x4, not the soft recoil of a luxury car :!:
The front must be worse than I thought.. With the back fixed, it has a definete 'snowplow' going into curves at road speed from the back staying level and the front shocks dropping on the outside of the curve..

Decided to go with Rancho for a couple reasons:
  • Past experience
  • Rancho has always seemed to be a good 4x shock
  • Availability, other than Monroe, everything else would be special order around here
  • Lifetime warranty is always a nice selling point :wink:
If anyone else goes Rancho on the '03CC, the part #'s are RS5123 front, RS5124 rear for the 5000's, RS9123 RS9124 for the 9000's..
The local shop has the current '03 Rancho book, and it DOESNT show the S10 at all newer than '93 :shrug:
So we took the Monroe book, looked up the size specs for the Monroe chock, then looked up the individual specs on the Rancho to match a set of shocks.. The stupid part is once you do that, if you go to the reverse lookup and see what a 5123/5124 fit.... "up to '03 S10/Sonoma".. They have it in the reverse lookup, but in direct application their catalog SKIPS the S series after 93 completely... :nono:
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya, the stock shocks are crap when you leave the dealership. they are just for looks.

i had procomps on my front. some people dont like them cuz they think they are too stiff. but i think our front ends are sooo heavy that the stiff shock does just fine
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

RS5000's are c00l, I loved listening to them move when I was going down a trail. :D
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
CrazyChaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CrazyChaz »

Yea I had the Rancho RS5000's put on my 03 crew not to long ago. Im very happy with mine it feels like a new truck with them on and like you said Lifetime warranty is a nice option.
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

I was messing around under my truck and the stock shocks are still on. I found the front right shock is leaking. :shock: So I guess Ill have to buy some shocks now.
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

coffeedrnkr wrote:RS5000's are c00l, I loved listening to them move when I was going down a trail. :D
8)

I'm getting a squeak from my front mount on the back spring (that confuse anyone? :? )

They arent greaseable that I've ever seen, and I figure oiling them will just attack dirt/sand/etc.. Anyone else come across this/have a good answer? Its pretty much a standard suspension squeak/creak, maybe a little louder..just enough to drive me nuts.
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

CrazyChaz wrote:Yea I had the Rancho RS5000's put on my 03 crew not to long ago. Im very happy with mine it feels like a new truck with them on and like you said Lifetime warranty is a nice option.
yep. I still just have my back ones on (fronts are due to arrive Wed.) and it feels like a different truck already. Although with the stiffer rear I notice that spring mount squak a little more.. or maybe I just dont hear the shock 'suck' noise from the bad back shocks and now I notice the squeak :roll:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I have the RS9000's on all 4 corners, and I'm very happy with them. Big improvement over stock. I had my rear shocks replaced under warranty once and they were toast after another 6k miles! The stockers must cost Gm around 20-30 cents or something like that!

Steve
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

killian96ss wrote:I have the RS9000's on all 4 corners, and I'm very happy with them. Big improvement over stock. I had my rear shocks replaced under warranty once and they were toast after another 6k miles! The stockers must cost Gm around 20-30 cents or something like that!

Steve
They must buy them by the gross... becuase they are GROSS... :poke:

sorry.. :crazy:
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Fronts are on now.. Now have Rancho 5000's on all four corners.. much better than the stock junk!

I know they are tight (we just put them on ourselves), so it must just be the stiffer shock translating road sound up into the cab different.. but they have a more sloid, almost thud, when they go over washboard surface at speed..
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

ProComp ES9000's all around here. Big difference in ride. It's a good bit firmer, without the bounce after a bump. The front is perfect, but the back is a bit harsh. I even have a toolbax full of junk (probably 200 pounds) on my truck. The handling is curves is better, but I wish I could soften the rear ride a bit.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

BILSTEIN shocks.............. can anyone tell me part #s for the front and rear .if so thanks
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Can't find a "part #" but, here they are.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

jeff024 wrote:BILSTEIN shocks.............. can anyone tell me part #s for the front and rear .if so thanks
There should be a thread or two on the forum with the part #'s. If not, e-mail HenryJ...he's got all the info. :)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

You can get your part numbers where I got mine and I love them.

Got mine here
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

i just wanna see if the 1s on Ebay are right
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeff024 wrote:BILSTEIN shocks.............. can anyone tell me part #s for the front and rear .if so thanks
HenryJ wrote:
AZS10Crew wrote: Search on this forum for "bilstein." There's a thread somewhere with the part numbers in it.
Bilstein shocks

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

jeff024 wrote:i just wanna see if the 1s on Ebay are right
at ebay motors right now there are three. two are "zr2 suspension only" and the other is more than you'll pay retail. All are listed by "streetdemand".
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

welp went with the ranchos all the way around got the fronts from summit and rears off ebay for 49.00 shipped new in the box :) for both . the ride is great almost like a new truck and now it feels like a truck very happy with them.