NEED HELP ORDERING MY SUPERLIFT

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Coda
Crew
Crew

NEED HELP ORDERING MY SUPERLIFT

Post by Coda »

I called my shop today to order the lift, and obviously they have no idea its out yet, so i gave them the product number and told me theyd call me back. They call me back and price me out a 2k for the lift. I ask is that the one with the superlift shocks or the bilsteins and they said the one with the bilsteins arent out yet. So i said okay fine (ill talk him down in price later on). Then i went to tell him that i also want the PA 2" body lift and to put it on 35" bf mud terrains. The guy was like "i dont know if i would wanna do that.. I think the car would be to top heavy with the extra 2 inches." and im like what the hell does that mean, so then he said that the biggest tires he would put on an s-10 are 32's, and he said i dont even need new gears with 32's. Then he told me that he would think that any tire over 32" would make the s-10 like really dangerous or something. But, he told me next week he is going to las vegas where superlift is showing off an s-10 with the lift on it, so he said he'll take pictures and get more info. So, he bsically told me to call him back in a weeks time to schedule a day where i can go up there and we can talk more in detail what i want etc. My question is what does he mean that with the two lifts my truck will be too top heavy? And also is it unsafe to run 35's even with no rubbing issues?

ps. Sorry its so long, i really need your guys advice!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

He's worried about liability issues. Superlift is basically covering his install if you flip and want to file a suit. Installing a 2" BL by itself will leave him out of any possibility of a lawsuit if you flip with just the lift. Combining the two mods worries him as the installer because combining the 2 lifts is entirely different than from install each one individually.

He just needs to have his attorney draft up a waiver for you or parents to sign stating that you assume all responsibility for combining mods.

I assume that you know the higher you go that you are raising the center of gravity and will not be able to corner as fast on the roadway as you could at stock heighth.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

S-10 with the lift on it -- Las Vegas.

This means it's the SEMA show, and KCustom's Truck is going to be there -- see his post here.

Make sure that your guy makes sure he takes a close look, as KC's truck has the 2" BL, and the 35" tires you are talking about, and you know that it's gonna be there. (PM KCustom to doublecheck which booth -- if it's not superlift, you might wanna see where it is.)

One question -- if he quoted you a price, and you said yes, lets go ahead and do it, you're really planning on trying to haggle on price after he's ordered the goods?
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Coda
Crew
Crew

Post by Coda »

He didnt order it yet, he told me to call him back next week when hes home from vegas. And yes, i know that the higher the truck is the higher the center of gravity is. Cant u fix that by getting wheel spacers and having the wheels jut out further?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Coda wrote:... Cant u fix that by getting wheel spacers and having the wheels jut out further?
More than likely just get wheels with the rearspacing needed.

I like to increase the width by 1.5 times the lift, but an increase to match the lift is minimum.

Now you are talking about 7"-8" of total lift, so how do we add that much width? Steady...we will not need 4" wheel spacers all the way around :!:

Part was already done when you get the tires. The 35's will likely be 12.5" wide. That is 3" wider, because obviously you can not move them in board due to clearances.

Ok, now the wheels. For a 12.5" tire a 10" rim would be appropriate and probably around 4" of rear spacing would have the tire clear the frame. This would be a gain of 1/2" in width given the tires width difference.

That gains the minimum of 3.5" per side and 7" total. If you add 1.25" spacers to the rear to even the track that is 9.5" for the rear and average the two for an averaged increase of 8.25". Better than the minimum, and knowing that it is likely the the 1.5x is unrealistic on the stock IFS for a lift of this magnitude.

Superlift will have a recomendation for the wheels used with their lift and perhaps KCustom will have some of his own.

Don't forget He added the Gross Cut-out Flares to fit the 35's , and they are not yet in production.

32's may indeed be a better option until the flares become available?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Coda
Crew
Crew

Post by Coda »

hmmm, but id be able to get 33's in there with no prob if i had both lifts on there?
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

screw him and what that guy told you. dont ever listen to anyone except people off the internet :lol:

no really, just decide what you want to do and do it. i hate it when guys as shops tell YOU what YOU want to do :?

get the lift and the BL. BUT realize that if you put 35's on there, be prepared to regear to 4.56's to have any power whatsoever and be prepared for 12mpg...and re gearing is another grand

33's and 3.73 gears suck BTW

oh, and IMO i would get a 15x8 rim. the 15x10 will wear alot more on your weak IFS....dont ever listen to brule either :P

i got 15x8 with 38's on my rig :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Coda
Crew
Crew

Post by Coda »

Im starting to think that now i should just get 33's with both lifts. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm :?
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

Coda wrote:Im starting to think that now i should just get 33's with both lifts. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm :?
gearing will still suck. 4.10's go great with 31's and 32's...33's is a toss up between 4.10 and 4.56
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Coda
Crew
Crew

Post by Coda »

well if i got 33's id get prob the 4.10 gears. For tires would it be better to get 33 x 12.50 or 33 x 10.50? The mud terrians dont come in the 33 x 10.50 so id get the wider one. What do you guys think?
Coda
Crew
Crew

Post by Coda »

oh and BTW, how much of a powerloss is there with getting 33's?
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

on my jeep cherokee with the inline six. I did a 8 inch suspension lift cut the crap out of my fenders and welded in new inner fenders. Ran 33x12.5 procomp mud terrains . I had 3.73 gears and on the interstate that made 5th gear non exsistent couldnt hold power enough to run in 5th gear but I could still cruise 70 75 mph in fourth. As far as from a dead stop and the like it was liveable. I regeard with 4.56 and I loved it.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

Coda wrote:oh and BTW, how much of a powerloss is there with getting 33's?
enough to make you hate your truck :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

gears and lifts

Post by KCustom »

I was not very happy after I put on the 35's with the power....I add the SC and it did make a big difference, but I am going to swap gears to 4.56 in the spring....
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
Coda
Crew
Crew

Post by Coda »

Hey KCustom, if you havent left for SEMA yet, could you please tell me if your going to be at the superlift booth at the show? The guy at MEadowlands 4wd (Rutherford NJ; guys name is ralph), who is doing my lift, is going down there. I told him that i wanted the 6 inch superlift and
i also want the PA 2" body lift and to put it on 35" bf mud terrains. The guy was like "i dont know if i would wanna do that.. I think the car would be to top heavy with the extra 2 inches." and im like what the hell does that mean, so then he said that the biggest tires he would put on an s-10 are 32's, and he said i dont even need new gears with 32's. Then he told me that he would think that any tire over 32" would make the s-10 like really dangerous or something. But, he told me next week he is going to las vegas where superlift is showing off an s-10 with the lift on it, so he said he'll take pictures and get more info
So, if a guy named ralph goes to your truck and starts taking a lot of pictures and asking questions, convince him for me :D
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Coda,
While surfing today I did rub across the site of KC's lift. They did recommend not combining their lift with a 2" BL (we all realize that it is just BS and worrying about liability and law suits).

Might be something that one should think about Tuesday morning when people eligible cast their vote! (HINT, HINT)
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Coda
Crew
Crew

Post by Coda »

What site is that?
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

For the record...

Post by KCustom »

Having taken my truck completly around Cooper Land ( a full blown pro Moto cross track) and put the truck in many tough spots I can tell you that if you want the bl with the SL it is not a problem, I am running 9" wide wheels with 5 inches of backspacking and 1.25" spacers in the rear and the truck handels great on and off road......
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
ZoSo

Post by ZoSo »

A fellow Zeppelin lover with a crew cab... kewl
Black S-10 Crew-Cab 2002

heated leather seats
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Hmm....so should I go with 4.56's when I re-gear? I'll probably start using 32's, and buy KCustom's flares when they come out and go 35's.

Would 4.56 gearing be ok running 31" or 32" tires?
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Coda
Crew
Crew

Post by Coda »

My zeppelin icon thing showed up one day out of no where.. but yes i do love zeppelin, just got the one two three four box set.. thing rocks
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by KCustom »

I have been told the following...

29 to 30" tires 3.73 gears
31 to 33 4.11
33 to 35 4.56
36 to 40 5.13

the last will require going to a SFA with dana or simular axles.....
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Coda wrote:My zeppelin icon thing showed up one day out of no where..
:angel:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: ...

Post by Walt »

KCustom wrote:I have been told the following...

29 to 30" tires 3.73 gears
31 to 33 4.11
33 to 35 4.56
36 to 40 5.13

the last will require going to a SFA with dana or simular axles.....
Ok, my next question is: If I do the lift but have to run 31's for a while until I can get more cash, would the 4.56's be to low?
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by KCustom »

It would be very quick......and your top end would be limited. Don't forget to reprogram your PCM when you change the gears or the tires or both to keep everything working correctly....