Spacer -- Center Hub Projection

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Eric H
Crew
Crew

Spacer -- Center Hub Projection

Post by Eric H »

I sent a message to the ebay member that was mentioned in many previous posts. I told him I was looking for a 2" spacer for my S10. He replied saying he need to know if a 1/2" (14mm) recess is enough for an S10. He states that 1/2" might not be enough to allow the spacer to sit flush with the hub. He asked me to measure my center hub projection to see if a 1/2" is enough.

I've never dealt with spacers, so this is all gibberish to me. Can anyone lend me a hand and let me know if this will work for our trucks?

Thanks for all the help!
-Eric H
heyspike

Post by heyspike »

Hey Eric,
I did the same thing. He said the same thing also. See the post about ZR5 ans spacers.
John.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Somebody here bought the hub-centric spacers, but I can't remember who.

Is the recess 1/2" or 14mm ? There is quite a difference.

My best guess would be that the center axle hubs project 7/16" or between 11mm and 12mm. I did not take a wheel off to check them. I just pulled a hubcap and inserted a feeler gauge for a depth guestimate.

So if the recess is 1/2" things will be close , but should work. If it is 14mm, there should be no problem :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Eric H
Crew
Crew

Post by Eric H »

Thanks for the replies. :)

If it is possible to explain, what exactly is the "center hub projection?" How is it measured? I'll be putting on my new wheels/tires tomorrow so I might as well make a measurement.

Thanks again!
-Eric H
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

These are the hub-centric spacers. I want a set of these.

[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Eric H wrote:If it is possible to explain, what exactly is the "center hub projection?" How is it measured?
See the recess in the back side of the spacer pictured above ^ ?
The portion of the center of your axle that protrudes out from the flange where your wheel mounts is what needs to be measured.
They need to fit the recess in the hub-centric spacers. If your axle hub sticks out too far the spacers will not seat on the axle flange.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

My spacers don't have the counter bore in back like those do.
They have a larger 45 degree chamfer that clears the hub.
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

I Believe F9K9 Is The One Who Ordered The Spacers From The Ebay Guy (i could be wrong), He Got Them With The Wrong Studs But Otherwise Had No Complaints. I Was Getting Ready To Order Them But Will Wait To Find Out If They Do Fit. It Says On His Ebay Auction "Chevy/Corvette/Camaro/S10" But Now I Would Like To Know Positively Before Ordering.
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Post by Mat73GNZ »

I just got a reply to my question I asked the eBay guy quite some time ago about hub centric 2" spacers. He has them available right now, so I bought a pair. Only bad thing is I have to get longer studs. The stock studs protrude roughly 1" from the rotor. Without taking off the rotor, what size studs do I need to buy? He said they need to be at least 1.25", so 1/4" longer than what can be seen. Also, where do you guys buy them at? Jegs, Summit, auto parts store, ect.?

I did check the hub center when I had the wheel off, and it extends 7/16" out on my '02 Crew Cab.

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
'73 Datsun 240Z with Buick Grand National engine swap
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mat73GNZ wrote:...Only bad thing is I have to get longer studs. The stock studs protrude roughly 1" from the rotor. Without taking off the rotor, what size studs do I need to buy? He said they need to be at least 1.25", so 1/4" longer than what can be seen. Also, where do you guys buy them at? Jegs, Summit, auto parts store, ect.?
I would wait for the spacers to arrive. I'm pretty sure that you will be just fine with the stock studs. (I am with mine, but they are not hub-centric)

Our stock studs are 1.25" long. Yes you do lose a little with the rotor, but it is not that much.
NHRA General Regulations: wrote: All wheel studs must project into the hex portion of the lug nut by a distance equal to one diameter of the stud.
That means that you will need 12mm of the hex portion of your lugnut threaded.

If it is good enough for Pro Stock , it should be good enough for us , right?

Summary: Wait for the spacers and measure things out. I'm betting you may be just fine.

If not any bearing shop, machine shop, auto parts etc. should be able to fix you up with some longer studs.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Post by Mat73GNZ »

Thanks Henry! I'll wait untill they arrive and post pictures for those interested. 8)

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
heyspike

Post by heyspike »

Ebay guy emailed me today also. I'm going to measure the hub first.
Can't wait to see some new photos.
John. :D
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

gocntry wrote:I Believe F9K9 Is The One Who Ordered The Spacers From The Ebay Guy (i could be wrong), He Got Them With The Wrong Studs But Otherwise Had No Complaints. I Was Getting Ready To Order Them But Will Wait To Find Out If They Do Fit. It Says On His Ebay Auction "Chevy/Corvette/Camaro/S10" But Now I Would Like To Know Positively Before Ordering.

The ones from EZ are excellent and the ones that fit Camaros and "Vettes" work perfect on our trucks. Just specify when ordering that you want the 12 mm bolts and not the 1/2 inch ones.

His 2" spacers are going for 90 bucks. Once I lift, I'll order a set of 2" spacers to replace my 1 1/4" that I have on the rear, move them to the front and put the 2" ones on the rear.

He will most definitely work with you! When I discovered that I had gotten the 1/2" bolts (which the F body uses) and I needed 12 mm ones, he sent me the 12mm ones at 40 cents each and told me to keep the others. I haven't priced wheel studs lately but, I figured over a buck apiece.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Post by Mat73GNZ »

Got my 2" eBay spacers/adapters today. The packaging was great and they looks awsome. Hub centric and wheel centric, just like the ad said. I must say, my truck looks SOOOOO much better now! Such a small thing can make such a big improvement.

I took 10 pictures and posted the links below (pay no attention to the Buick Grand National vanity plate 8) ) . I needed to remove the retainers on the stock studs so the spacer would sit nice and flat with the hub. I used some emry cloth to clean up the surface of the wheel and hub, just so I won't have any problems with vibrations at speed. The stock studs had enough threads into the lug nuts, so no need for longer studs.

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5
Picture 6
Picture 7
Picture 8
Picture 9
Picture 10

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Very cool 8)

I might just have to replace my spacers with some of these hub centric spacers.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

What would be the benefit of replacing regular spacers with these? I have 2" spacers from AIM Industries. What is the big difference?
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Post by Mat73GNZ »

I'm not sure how the spacers are made from AIM Industries, but the spacers I bought were hub centric and wheel centric. On the hub of our trucks, the center extends out about 7/16". If you look in the inside of the stock wheel, the part that sits against the hub, you will see a chamfered edge. This ensures a perfect fit. It's kind of like stacking Legos (but with out them snapping together :D ). This is replicated on the spacers on both faces. This is to ensure that there isn't any vibrations at speed due to misaligned spacers.

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
heyspike

Post by heyspike »

Just bought mine 2 minutes ago, and I got the Daystar shackles in this week.
Will post photos when I get it all installed.
John.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

ahhh. Mine are just round, they have no lip or extrusion.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

ok wait when i used the link it took me to the 1.25 spacers is there another ebay page for the 2'' which would put 10.5 tires to the fender?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

camelott112 wrote:ok wait when i used the link it took me to the 1.25 spacers is there another ebay page for the 2'' ...
Mat73GNZ wrote:...hub centric 2" spacers. ...

- ThunderII KE7CSK
heyspike

Post by heyspike »

Well I put the shackles on today. Not a bad job. Didn't think the new bolts were going to fit in the springs, but with a little grease and a BFH everything worked out ok.
I got 34" from the ground to the fender well.
Can't wait till the spacers get here.
John
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

thanks your on top of things as always im suprised it took you over 2.5 hours though maybe you were just trying to build anticipation hehe :lol: